Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oddball passport question CAN<->USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Oddball passport question CAN<->USA

Pretty simple though. Considering flying YVR<->JFK for the Super Bowl. I haven't flown CAN<->USA in almost a decade so I didn't bother renewing my Canadian passport.

Here's what I do have though:
1) EU passport
2) Nexus card (obviously no passport attached to it)
3) Canadian citizenship card
4) Registration of birth abroad (Canadian document)

I was born in the UK but moved to Canada permanently at 1 month old.

Am I good to fly YVR<->JFK with the documents I have now or am I going to have to resort to buying a passport (which I probably won't use again in the next 5 years) and expediting it? $120+$110+whatever photos cost? If the latter is the case it'll probably being cheaper to fly out of Seattle.

TIA
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
You should be able to enter the US with an ESTA on your EU passport. Not sure about re-entering Canada though. The Nexus card should technically be sufficient at the kiosk, but I don't know how CBSA would feel about you showing up without a Canadian passport.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat
maybe get the enhanced driving license and fly from SEA to NY
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You will be able to enter Canada.
Do NOT try to use only the NEXUS card to enter.
Use the EU passport + ESTA to enter the USA and board back to Canada (show airline EU passport + citizenship card) and show up with the citizenship card to enter.
That way, you are not breaking NEXUS regulations.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I looked up what ESTA is. I guess I need it because I'm not entering the US as a Canadian citizen but rather a UK citizen? And it's a flat out requirement? Do I have time to get it before next weekend?

And I feel like I shouldn't have to worry about the CBSA though right? Canadians don't need a passport to fly into Canada do they?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by quaywest
Thanks for the replies. I looked up what ESTA is. I guess I need it because I'm not entering the US as a Canadian citizen but rather a UK citizen? And it's a flat out requirement? Do I have time to get it before next weekend?

And I feel like I shouldn't have to worry about the CBSA though right? Canadians don't need a passport to fly into Canada do they?
You need a passport to LEAVE the USA by air.
You do NOT need it to enter Canada.
You may be asked about your citizenship at checkin/boarding, though, in which case you would show the citizenship certificate.
It is a REQUIREMENT to have ESTA in order to enter the USA as a VWP national.
I would suggest you get it right away (though after the trip, you may or may not want to consider the UK passport + ESTA cost each time vs using a Canadian passport.)
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:18 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by quaywest

You get an ESTA online. It usually takes a few seconds.

When you arrive in the US you will be fingerprinted and photographed, which is not required if you enter with a Canadian passport.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that a Canadian citizen could not enter Canada with a passport from another country. Nice to learn new things here
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

All right then, ESTA it is. Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that a Canadian citizen could not enter Canada with a passport from another country. Nice to learn new things here
I did not ask OP to enter on his/her British passport.
I asked him/her to enter on the citizenship certificate (I have both the legal document and the travel size card from 2003 when I naturalised.)
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I did not ask OP to enter on his/her British passport.
I asked him/her to enter on the citizenship certificate (I have both the legal document and the travel size card from 2003 when I naturalised.)
Thanks for clarifying... I see the distinction now.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:39 am

Your citizenship card doesn't have a photo of you at a month old, does it?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pedanticus
Your citizenship card doesn't have a photo of you at a month old, does it?
No, but I also have my SIN # to prove my citizenship (or at least right to work/remain in Canada. Keep in mind that the systems are syncronised so as to prevent things like EI fraud.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.