Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

AUH is finally open US pre-clearance facility

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fir...k=MW_news_stmp

Well, that's official! Abu Dhabi is finally open the US pre-clearance facility. You don't have be cleared customs in US cities anymore. Your bag will be automatically through your final destinations cities. You don't have to be re-clear security again. Just stay inside the secure area. TSA won't be re-screened the checked bag again.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The UAE's lobbying influence in DC is outsized to the country's population, but it is a strategic "ally" that plays host to our military and intelligence assets in the region. Not surprised they managed to pull it off. I am glad that the anti-American consumer "Airlines for (being against) America" industry lobby group didn't manage to win by knocking out AUH CBP Pre-Clearance.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Adding in Dubai, Amman and TLV would be awesome to that list. Amman is a stretch but they are a friendly.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The UAE's lobbying influence in DC is outsized to the country's population, but it is a strategic "ally" that plays host to our military and intelligence assets in the region. Not surprised they managed to pull it off. I am glad that the anti-American consumer "Airlines for (being against) America" industry lobby group didn't manage to win by knocking out AUH CBP Pre-Clearance.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Adding in Dubai, Amman and TLV would be awesome to that list. Amman is a stretch but they are a friendly.
TLV would make more sense than AMM. There are more non-stops to the US from TLV, but TLV isn't as much of a transit traffic airport as AUH or even AMM. And then there is the issue of whether LY and RJ (or the respective airport authority/country) would pay for it in full or not. AUH/UAE already has the money and transit traffic interests to make this a priority for EY/AUH/UAE. I can't imagine LY or RJ paying up for it.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fir...k=MW_news_stmp

You don't have to be re-clear security again. Just stay inside the secure area. TSA won't be re-screened the checked bag again.
Not true for ORD since EY will be arriving at T5. They'll use the domestic claim but you'll still need to re-clear security over at T1, 2 or 3.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ords
Not true for ORD since EY will be arriving at T5. They'll use the domestic claim but you'll still need to re-clear security over at T1, 2 or 3.
Not unless they make an arrangement with partner AA to switch to using Terminal 3 instead now that Pre-Clearance is available.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond
"The amendment prohibits the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) from using any taxpayer dollars to conduct customs and border protection (CBP) preclearance operations at Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH). The amendment was unanimously adopted during floor consideration of the FY14 Homeland Security Appropriations bill."

http://www.arabaviation.com/countryb...abu-dhabi.aspx
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
"The amendment prohibits the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) from using any taxpayer dollars to conduct customs and border protection (CBP) preclearance operations at Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH). The amendment was unanimously adopted during floor consideration of the FY14 Homeland Security Appropriations bill."
http://www.arabaviation.com/countryb...abu-dhabi.aspx
"Airlines for America"
More like Airlines that can't compete with service provided by Gulf airlines.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
A hassle for Global Entry....or am I missing something?

So does this mean that instead of 5 minutes for Global Entry at JFK that I'll face lengthy US immigration lines in AUH when traveling EY from AUH to JFK? I can't imagine that CBP stuck a Global Entry kiosk in AUH...but perhaps I'm wrong.

If there's no GE, then these facilities are really an inconvenience....part of the reason I'll not travel to/from AUA again...and perhaps now AUH.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I imagine there will be GE there just like Dublin and major Canadian airports for preentry.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I agree and don't understand the opposition really. It all sounds as jingoistic and lame in its way as Freedom Fries rhetoric.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I imagine there will be GE there just like Dublin and major Canadian airports for preentry.
If it's set up like YYZ, YVR, and DUB you'll be fine.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
I don't get it ... US Customs pre-clears in Canada and at Shannon, Ireland, as far as I know. What's different about this?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Not unless they make an arrangement with partner AA to switch to using Terminal 3 instead now that Pre-Clearance is available.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but there's only three 77W gates at T3.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan
So does this mean that instead of 5 minutes for Global Entry at JFK that I'll face lengthy US immigration lines in AUH when traveling EY from AUH to JFK? I can't imagine that CBP stuck a Global Entry kiosk in AUH...but perhaps I'm wrong.

If there's no GE, then these facilities are really an inconvenience....part of the reason I'll not travel to/from AUA again...and perhaps now AUH.
How many PreClearance airports don't have GE kiosks? It's been some time since I recall having come across such a situation at PreClearance airports.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan
Indeed. AUA was truly miserable with no GE kiosks, no separate GE line, a single line for both US Citizens/Residents and visitors, and only a single CBP officer processing everything.

I fly out of AUH every now and then but usually pick DXB. Probably won't be using AUH pre-clearance anyhow until the AA*/EY codeshares allow the use of discounted AA I-class fares on US-AUH non-stop EY flights (unlikely to happen).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.