Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

AUH is finally open US pre-clearance facility

AUH is finally open US pre-clearance facility

Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
AB is leaning towards SkyTeam? Are they planning on leaving OW?
It's not clear to me why they would be invited to join. Is it of benefit to any of the SkyTeam airlines to have another hub in Europe?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by mayodave
Its called spitting the dummy out
^

Originally Posted by stimpy
Why would EY want to be near AA when they are about to join Skyteam?
Sad….I liked them…
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:52 am

My Best Guess

Originally Posted by garydpdx
I don't get it ... US Customs pre-clears in Canada and at Shannon, Ireland, as far as I know. What's different about this?
United and Delta fly directly to Dubai. They don't have direct flights to Abu Dhabi. The Dubai and Abu Dhabi airports compete for the same market. The American carriers think it is a huge grab for Etihad and that the US Government just subsidized foreign competition. Etihad by the way just signed a code share agreement with Jet Blue to make itself more US friendly.

Emirates and Etihad is a cross-Emriate rivalry that reminds me of the Mets and the Yankees.

From the Greens (a large Western ex pat townhouse complex near Jumeirah) to DXB is 30 minutes. To Abu Dhabi International, it is 58 minutes.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
From the Greens (a large Western ex pat townhouse complex near Jumeirah) to DXB is 30 minutes. To Abu Dhabi International, it is 58 minutes.
Do many people bother with the extra 30 mins travel though?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:26 am

I always preferred to the Abu Dhabi Airport. DXB is a zoo with people sleeping on the floors, etc.

I didn't prefer it enough to sacrifice my elite status with SkyTeam. I suspect that Dubai will get a similar arrangement fairly quickly.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
United and Delta fly directly to Dubai. They don't have direct flights to Abu Dhabi. The Dubai and Abu Dhabi airports compete for the same market. The American carriers think it is a huge grab for Etihad and that the US Government just subsidized foreign competition. Etihad by the way just signed a code share agreement with Jet Blue to make itself more US friendly.

Emirates and Etihad is a cross-Emriate rivalry that reminds me of the Mets and the Yankees.

Some travel to JFK over EWR (or vice versa) for decent savings, and that's more than a 28 minute difference
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: DL GM, AA
[QUOTE=garydpdx;22220490]I don't get it ... US Customs pre-clears in Canada and at Shannon, Ireland, as far as I know. What's different about this

There is also Us Customs Pre-clearance at AUA.

I don't see the big deal. This is a convenience for travelers, once you touch down in the USA - you grab your bags and head home rather than having to stand on a line to clear customs.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
I'm glad they are doing this. I recently transited DXB, and it's much more enjoyable than any U.S. airport. I am going through AUH next month so we'll see.

Seems hypocritical to argue that the Gulf carriers are "subsidized" by their governments, yet our government has egregious anti-competition laws to protect our own 3rd world quality carriers.

I for one would love for the big 3 to get a healthy dose of domestic competition. If Delta, AA and United can all make record profit, then there is definitely room for them to compete by enhancing their products and services.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
I for one would love for the big 3 to get a healthy dose of domestic competition. If Delta, AA and United can all make record profit, then there is definitely room for them to compete by enhancing their products and services.
Have you heard of Southwest? :P
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Calchas
Have you heard of Southwest? :P
I think he meant international competition. But of course they do have competition and most frequent flyers will always take the non-US airline given a choice. The only reasons to take a US airline are...

1. Upgrade coupons
2. Legally or logistically required to fly a US airline

And finally, this is not the worst day for US airlines. The worst day was 9/11 when they, together with US citizens and the US government all agreed, out of fear, to dumb down service to a level that non-US airlines simply refused to match.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by sts603
Are there equivalent F and J lounges available to passengers once you enter the secured area.
Great question. The only good thing about the AUH CF is the lounge.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:10 pm

A number of places have secondary airports that are that far away. How many Bostonians fly out of Providence Rhode Island? I live in Detroit (didn't change my handle after I moved back to the States). Metro Airport's parking structure is full of Canadian plates, Ohio plates, and some Indiana ones.

I can easily see how a flight to AD would save me more than a half an hour. Since my luggage is precleared, it can be checked through at my destination and I don't have to clear customs, wait for my luggage, clear customs and immigration, recheck my bag, and then reclear TSA. At least at Atlanta, my Pre doesn't get me through the TSA any faster. I'm also tired and groggy when I land and am more likely to make mistakes and leave something at a TSA station, etc.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:53 pm

which moderator manages headlines on the FT home page?

After reading 4 pages of post, I still cant understand why or how is this a SAD DAY????

Seems to be this is a great way to avoid so-called "random checks" (which are not random at all but staff is instructed too specifically target certain ethnicities)

Hope DBX and DOH join soon...
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA Gold QR Platinum Hilton Gold FB Sinbad
Originally Posted by GUWonder
How many PreClearance airports don't have GE kiosks? It's been some time since I recall having come across such a situation at PreClearance airports.
Nassau is pre clearance and there is no GE and there is only one line, but the traffic is light. If there is no GE at AUH imagine the amount of transit passengers, tourists to USA and citizens and residents! I am sure they would clear only those who are on a direct flight to the USA, right?
If there is a GE like in Canada, then there is no problem. Arriving at any usa airport with GE, it is a breeze, less than five minutes you are at the curb..
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cochinjew
Nassau is pre clearance and there is no GE and there is only one line, but the traffic is light. If there is no GE at AUH imagine the amount of transit passengers, tourists to USA and citizens and residents! I am sure they would clear only those who are on a direct flight to the USA, right?
If there is a GE like in Canada, then there is no problem. Arriving at any usa airport with GE, it is a breeze, less than five minutes you are at the curb..
Not to mention in Canada I can also use the NEXUS machines if the GE ones are down/in use.
Plus I can use those machines to enter Canada.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.