Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

AUH is finally open US pre-clearance facility

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUH is finally open US pre-clearance facility

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Any recent updates?

Potentially flying BLR-AUH-SFO with a 2 hour layover in AUH from 12:25AM to 2:25AM. I'll be flying in J and have GE. Will I have time to shower at the lounge or will all the time be taken by this preclearance mess?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by bioyuki
Any recent updates?

Potentially flying BLR-AUH-SFO with a 2 hour layover in AUH from 12:25AM to 2:25AM. I'll be flying in J and have GE. Will I have time to shower at the lounge or will all the time be taken by this preclearance mess?
You may have time depending. I'd say the last two times it took about 45 minutes to get through the Preclearance security+CBP with Global Entry (I'm not counting the initial UAE security + passport check since you'd already be past that). There's a premium lounge AFTER preclearance in the gate area now but I haven't been to that one, so can't guarantee it has showers. You could probably get a quick one in if it does.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
90 min seems unusual---presumably the goal is to persuade people to go through preclearance early? When you got through, were people actually boarding or (more likely) just forced to wait?
I would imagine the early boarding time is to get pax through as soon as possible, allowing for EY to have a close to on-time departure.

We went straight to the lounge after pre clearing, though I did sneak over to the gate for a few pics and they were not boarding. I think we spent a total of 25 mins in the lounge before they announced boarding.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:14 pm

You would think EY would walk their F/C passengers from the lounge through security(s) and immigration/customs right to the plane. Thai does it. Lufthansa does it.

And you would think EY would enforce the Business lines to make that quick.

If EY wants to show this as a benefit to passengers, especially USA passengers, then need to get there stuff together.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Traveling in July, I will have two separate bookings, so two different PNRs, both on Etihad in F:

SIN-AUH
AUH-JFK

Connection time about 3 hours from memory.

Was going to ask check-in agent at SIN to through-check bag to JFK.

Does the customs pre-clearence complicate matters in any way in this arrangement due to two separate bookings? (I understand they show you a picture of your bags, so hoping this process doesn't somehow dis-allow the through-checking on two individual bookings).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:25 am

As of 2 Jan, the GE machines were still (or again) non-operational, and I had to fill out a form.

I waited until 1 hour before the Chicago flight (last flight of the early a.m. group), and there were no other passengers left in the preclearance area. If I hadn't had to fill out the form, I would have passed through in 3 min (2 min for security).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by User Name
Traveling in July, I will have two separate bookings, so two different PNRs, both on Etihad in F:

SIN-AUH
AUH-JFK

Connection time about 3 hours from memory.

Was going to ask check-in agent at SIN to through-check bag to JFK.

Does the customs pre-clearence complicate matters in any way in this arrangement due to two separate bookings? (I understand they show you a picture of your bags, so hoping this process doesn't somehow dis-allow the through-checking on two individual bookings).
Irrelevant. Your bag can be checked though.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
As of 2 Jan, the GE machines were still (or again) non-operational, and I had to fill out a form.

I waited until 1 hour before the Chicago flight (last flight of the early a.m. group), and there were no other passengers left in the preclearance area. If I hadn't had to fill out the form, I would have passed through in 3 min (2 min for security).
I'll be on the JFK flight departing at 02:55am. Based on a few posts I've read here it's generally better to leave the Premium Lounge later rather than earlier, so is an hour before scheduled departure about optimal in your view?
zzm likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by User Name
I'll be on the JFK flight departing at 02:55am. Based on a few posts I've read here it's generally better to leave the Premium Lounge later rather than earlier, so is an hour before scheduled departure about optimal in your view?
All I can report is that one hour was more than enough time for the Chicago flight leaving 3:50am, and there was no one else in the lines.

For the JFK flight, you'll likely never encounter a completely empty preclearance area like I did, because the Chicago flight is later so the Chicago rush might begin just as the JFK rush is tapering off. (They print a boarding time 90 min before the departure time, and most people seem to take this seriously.) In short, I cannot tell you what an optimal time is. Homeland Security publishes historical AUH wait times somewhere on the web.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
auh preclearance question regarding checked in baggage

Hi,
I wanted to get a quick answer regarding preclearance procedure in AUH airport.
If you have a connecting flight CCU-AUH-LAX on where AUH-LAX is on EY 171, on same AA redemption ticket (also both ccu-auh and auh-lax are on etihad)

1) Can you check your luggage through to LAX ?
2) What happens in AUH? Do you have to pick up your luggage from somewhere and then get it through US customs and recheck the baggage or they somehow take care of it.

My parents arrive at midnight and flight leaves at 8 am and don't want them hanging around the gate/lounge past preclearance area. Do you have to worry about your luggage misplaced if you dont go pick it up. I would rather have them hang out in the lounge till say 3 hours before departure and then make their way to immigration + customs .

Thanks !!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:23 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by ketelone
Hi,
I wanted to get a quick answer regarding preclearance procedure in AUH airport.
If you have a connecting flight CCU-AUH-LAX on where AUH-LAX is on EY 171, on same AA redemption ticket (also both ccu-auh and auh-lax are on etihad)

1) Can you check your luggage through to LAX ?
2) What happens in AUH? Do you have to pick up your luggage from somewhere and then get it through US customs and recheck the baggage or they somehow take care of it.

My parents arrive at midnight and flight leaves at 8 am and don't want them hanging around the gate/lounge past preclearance area. Do you have to worry about your luggage misplaced if you dont go pick it up. I would rather have them hang out in the lounge till say 3 hours before departure and then make their way to immigration + customs .

Thanks !!
1. Yes
2. You do not have to claim your luggage and recheck it. The customs official will have a photo of your bags on his screen to verify with you - it's pretty efficient if you ask me.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
AUH Preclearance for LAX bound flight

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
1. Yes
2. You do not have to claim your luggage and recheck it. The customs official will have a photo of your bags on his screen to verify with you - it's pretty efficient if you ask me.
Thank you STBCypriot. Appreciate your quick reply.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: EY
Just curious if anyone here would support a preclearance facility in AUH (or DXB/DOH) for another country that can have long lineups, India. Many connecting travelers take EY/EY/QR from North America and elsewhere to India (a vast majority of the travelers on North American flights are heading to the Indian subcontinent. Strictly based on flight traffic alone, the ME3 would seem to be prime candidates for Indian preclearance facilities. I realize there are other factors that would discourage this (as it seems only the US is the only country to operate preclearance facilities anywhere in the world), but I'm curious as to what everyone's thought on such a potential facility would be.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Economics, cost of manning and operating an immigration personnel overseas is significantly higher than in India.

Last edited by ashkale; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.