Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Lawmakers Threaten TSA with Private Screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:03 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

Members of a House panel threatened Tuesday to privatize more airport screening unless the Transportation Security Administration improves its treatment of travelers.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...nolly/4473961/
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
He (Mica) would leave TSA in charge of gathering intelligence, setting standards and running audits.

Well, that's 3 failures in one sentence, Congressman. You should be pushing legislation eliminating this disgusting, un-American, piece of crap agency completely and returning airport and airline security to the airlines and perhaps the airports.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
He (Mica) would leave TSA in charge of gathering intelligence, setting standards and running audits.

Well, that's 3 failures in one sentence, Congressman. You should be pushing legislation eliminating this disgusting, un-American, piece of crap agency completely and returning airport and airline security to the airlines and perhaps the airports.
I know.... Congress seems to think that changing the paycheck of the clerks will solve everything. A groper is still a groper.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Cool

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
[sarcasm]Yes, because the private screeners of TEAM SFO are such an excellent example of politeness and customer service. No cattle treatment there. [\sarcasm]
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA,WN, Hilton Honors, Marriott
I remember what a great job those private screeners did at IAD on September 11. Just fantastic.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Millon deFloss
I remember what a great job those private screeners did at IAD on September 11. Just fantastic.
Given the spectacular failure rate of today's TSOs what makes you think the outcome would be any different if "Federal" screeners would have been in place back then?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:48 pm

They did their job just fine. The problem on September 11, 2001 was not the screeners.

Yes, this would be a step in the right direction. Towards the far horizon of sanity.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:25 pm

No screener was at fault on September 11 2001 because all items used were permitted.

Who was at fault? Airline employees who cooperated with criminals and the federal government for directing airlines to tell their employees to cooperate with criminals.

It's a shame some are so easily duped into unfairly blaming contract screeners working for Globe/Argenbright when the real blame lies elsewhere. It's even sadder they accept unnecessary government harassment to the point of sexual assault and other crimes in the name of ineffective "security". Given that the federal government was at fault on September 11 2001, the federal government should be physically ejected from every USA airport, never again to be permitted to infect any aspect of airline or airport decisions with their criminal stupidity.

Critical thinking skills are at an all-time low in the USA.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
No screener was at fault on September 11 2001 because all items used were permitted.

Who was at fault? Airline employees who cooperated with criminals and the federal government for directing airlines to tell their employees to cooperate with criminals.

It's a shame some are so easily duped into unfairly blaming contract screeners working for Globe/Argenbright when the real blame lies elsewhere. It's even sadder they accept unnecessary government harassment to the point of sexual assault and other crimes in the name of ineffective "security". Given that the federal government was at fault on September 11 2001, the federal government should be physically ejected from every USA airport, never again to be permitted to infect any aspect of airline or airport decisions with their criminal stupidity.

Critical thinking skills are at an all-time low in the USA.
They must be doing something right since it seems like they're still letting you fly. /sarcasm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by copperred
They must be doing something right since it seems like they're still letting you fly. /sarcasm
Or it might be my pet rock. Also keeps tigers away.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Private security has come a long long way since 9/11. There is no reason to hire kids away from Burger King to do this job like they did before 9/11. Yes, it also costs more but not as much as the bloated TSA sucks out of taxpayer funds. Either privatize it or if they INSIST on keeping the Govt involved, bring it to the state level & let the State Police (who may not be polite but at least are professional) or even dare I say the National Guard (who are at least "usually" polite)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Private security has come a long long way since 9/11. There is no reason to hire kids away from Burger King to do this job like they did before 9/11. Yes, it also costs more but not as much as the bloated TSA sucks out of taxpayer funds. Either privatize it or if they INSIST on keeping the Govt involved, bring it to the state level & let the State Police (who may not be polite but at least are professional) or even dare I say the National Guard (who are at least "usually" polite)
The government and the police should not be involved. I should never have to identify myself to such entities as a condition of being a passenger on a commercial airplane.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GaryD
The problem on September 11, 2001 was not the screeners.
DING! DING! DING! We have a WINNAH! ^
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
If you want to dismantle a government agency, you need to do it slowly by first narrowing the scope. Here's my take on how to do it:

* Slowly get airports to privatize bit by bit, getting TSA to focus on policy, audit, etc..
* Have Congress force more privatization.
* Increase scope and responsibility of the individual airport authorities.
* Create another group or consortium of airports to monitor standards and audit.
* TSA is gone.

One issue is that there has to be a uniform standard, as you don't want airports having differing security standards. How to maintain one outside of my idea above is beyond me.

And yes, private security did their job as defined at the time pre-9/11 and on 9/11. No guns or bombs brought down the aircraft.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
What part of the current TSA circus would have prevented that?

We'll wait...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.