Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Man with Arabic flashcards can't sue agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM

From here:

Federal agents who detained a college student after an airport screener found him carrying Arabic-English flashcards with such words as "bomb" and "terrorist" cannot be sued for their actions, a U.S. appeals court said Tuesday.
"It is simply not reasonable to require TSA officials to turn a blind eye to someone trying to board an airplane carrying Arabic-English flashcards with words such as 'bomb,' 'to kill,' etc," he said. "Basic common sense would allow those officials to take reasonable and minimally intrusive steps to inquire into the potential passenger's motivations."
bolding mine.

So, judge, what does "basic common sense" tell you about the possibility of an airplane being brought down with pieces of paper?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Further:

But Chief Judge Theodore McKee, writing for a three-judge 3rd Circuit panel, said that "in a world where air passenger safety must contend with such nuanced threats as attempts to convert underwear into bombs and shoes into incendiary devices," the decision to detain George was reasonable.
bolding mine.

Again, judge, how do you equate pieces of paper with underwear bombs?

I swear, you can't make this stuff up.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
That pinko judge has no common sense and should be removed from the bench.

I hope this case is further appealed.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:30 pm

"judges" have too much power. They're basically an un-checked, un-balanced branch of the government. 5 of them rewrote a piece of legislation this summer, a clear breach of their power yet nothing can happen to them because we've let them be deemed "untouchable." I hate the tsa and the other alphabet soup agencies running loose under the executive branch, but the judicial branch's improprieties is truly scary.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The comment from the lawyer for the ACLU also misses the mark:

"The court does not explain how possession of Arabic-English flashcards by a college student gives rise to any suspicion, much less reasonable suspicion."
Again, who cares about how suspicious you find a person to be, as long as they don't have the means to destroy the airplane!?

How the hell do you down a plane with pieces of paper with words on them?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I'm sure one of the TSA shills will be along shortly to explain that card stock (used for flash cards) can be folded into a paper knife tough enough to carve its way through a locked cockpit door, and to slash the throats of passengers who don't cooperate.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I'm sure one of the TSA shills will be along shortly to explain that card stock (used for flash cards) can be folded into a paper knife tough enough to carve its way through a locked cockpit door, and to slash the throats of passengers who don't cooperate.
Yes, but only the cards with "bomb" or "terrorist" written on them are capable of penetrating the cockpit door.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:53 am
Suspended

This isn't the final say. I'm sure there will be an appeal.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Land of the free, my arse...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly
"judges" have too much power. They're basically an un-checked, un-balanced branch of the government. 5 of them rewrote a piece of legislation this summer, a clear breach of their power yet nothing can happen to them because we've let them be deemed "untouchable." I hate the tsa and the other alphabet soup agencies running loose under the executive branch, but the judicial branch's improprieties is truly scary.
Going off on a tangent. I understand what you are saying but having strong judiciary is very much needed to keep check on the legislative branch. There are places where politicians are so bad that they wouldn't even pass laws that are vital to a civic society and judiciary is the sole light at the end of the tunnel and the way they can do that is by using the power they have. Even they need to be checked when overreaching their boundaries and one part is why judges are appointed. This circle exists for a reason but there are far many cases where it wouldn't work for the common person and on that I agree with you
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Perhaps I am too closed minded, but I do not see why such a huge deal was made of this. I will be among the first to admit that paranoia with the TSA is abnormally strong. At the same time, this person, at least from the few details I read, did not have any crime committed against him. The only things TSA are at fault for was the 5 hour detention and the resulting missed flights, based on the fact that he was carrying some flash cards with Arabic translations of words associated with attacks on aviation in the past 10 years.

What charges were brought against the TSA? What monetary damages? Was he assaulted in the process? If I walk through a checkpoint with "bomb" and "terrorist" in English, Spanish, etc., I guarantee the same thing would happen to me. Are the pieces of paper innately dangerous? No. Is having a regular looking, young, american man who can shout commands in Arabic to take down an aircraft potentially dangerous? I would argue yes. It is the world we live in and foresight from a senior in college should have alerted him that it was not the brightest idea to bring those cards.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
The only things TSA are at fault for was the 5 hour detention and the resulting missed flights, based on the fact that he was carrying some flash cards with Arabic translations of words associated with attacks on aviation in the past 10 years.
Why is the TSA even reading the cards? Once identified as "cards," they're eliminated as a threat to aviation. The TSA's "administrative search" ends RIGHT THERE. Reading the text on the cards is not in scope.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Is having a regular looking, young, american man who can shout commands in Arabic to take down an aircraft potentially dangerous? I would argue yes.
Please go on then...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

...at least from the few details I read, did not have any crime committed against him. The only things TSA are at fault for was the 5 hour detention and the resulting missed flights, based on the fact that he was carrying some flash cards with Arabic translations of words associated with attacks on aviation in the past 10 years.
Just wow. I don't know where you hail from, but here in the U.S., we have things known as constitutional rights. Those rights include things such as the freedom of speech (first amendment), the right to be secure personally in papers and effects (fourth amendment), not to be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process (fifth amendment). These things are pretty important to us here. This man shouldn't have been deprived of his constitutional rights for five seconds, much less five hours.

If I walk through a checkpoint with "bomb" and "terrorist" in English, Spanish, etc., I guarantee the same thing would happen to me.
Why? How about you walk through the checkpoint with a Koran or a Bible? Are these also scary pieces of papers that would get you detained for five hours? Both of these books have some pretty dangerous things written in them.

Are the pieces of paper innately dangerous? No. Is having a regular looking, young, american man who can shout commands in Arabic to take down an aircraft potentially dangerous? I would argue yes.
You're kidding, right? So you think that young men are carrying around note cards with commands for their Muslim brethren to take down an airplane? How does that work? Do they shout "terrorist" in Arabic as a signal to their Muslim cohorts to do what exactly? How about white guys shouting out something in German to do the exact same thing? It's a horrible thought, isn't it? I guess the solution is to ban all paper! But then the terrorists would have to memorize two words. Impossible!

It is the world we live in and foresight from a senior in college should have alerted him that it was not the brightest idea to bring those cards.
Why? Because he should know that cards written in Arabic automatically means that the constitution will be suspended for him at various places in the United States? How is ANYONE supposed to know that? Or that he should know that only Muslims are terrorists? Am I to go through all the papers that I have with me for my next trip to see if there isn't something that may trigger a "constitution-suspending" response the next time I travel?

What about information on your computer? Should you purge anything that has the word "bomb" or "terrorist" in any language on your laptop before you travel?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Gld HH SPG
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
The comment from the lawyer for the ACLU also misses the mark:

Again, who cares about how suspicious you find a person to be, as long as they don't have the means to destroy the airplane!?

What a waste of a thread.
Nothing better too do?? It sounds as though the student is retarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.