Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA disarms sock monkey. Flying public safe again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA disarms sock monkey. Flying public safe again

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gsoltso

As far as judicious use of common sense, there is a reaonably articulable reason that I can make for this item to be let go (the same for the toy gun with the sock monkey) - in this case it is fairly easy, it is a prescribed medicine that is not explosive, it has been in common use in this country since long before any of us were born. In the case of medical items, that is fairly clear cut/black and white as found on the TSA.gov site:

"Passengers are allowed to bring medications in pill or other solid form through security screening checkpoints in unlimited amounts, as long as they are screened. TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply."
You keep quoting the website rules about meds. You do not quote the zero tolerance rules about anything explosive. The TSOs were applying the second rule. All levels of individuals involved, including suits, agree that there is no exception of any sort for medical nitro. I hear 'medical', you profess to hear 'medical', but the TSOs and their bosses that day heard 'nitro'.

Tell me, something, <deleted>. What do you think would have happened if I had transferred my pills to an unlabelled container that had alarmed on a swab? Do you think I would want to be in the position of trying to explain why I had 'artfully concealed' my nitro pills precisely to avoid TSA hassles - for something that I knew should be allowed? Don't you think that explanation, along with a positive swab, would have made me look suspicious?

Note: you quote the rules allowing medicinces, but I find it interesting that it doesn't mention that certain eye solutions are not allowed. Forget the details, but there's something in certain types of widely used contact solutions that is prohibited - because they contain something potentially 'explosive'.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:10 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
Note: you quote the rules allowing medicinces, but I find it interesting that it doesn't mention that certain eye solutions are not allowed. Forget the details, but there's something in certain types of widely used contact solutions that is prohibited - because they contain something potentially 'explosive'.
Hydrogen peroxide, despite the simple fact that distilling it to "dangerous" concentrations is nigh impossible whether in a bathroom on the ground or in the air.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Hydrogen peroxide, despite the simple fact that distilling it to "dangerous" concentrations is nigh impossible whether in a bathroom on the ground or in the air.
Thanks.

Oddly, it isn't named in <deleted>'s cite above, although it is 'medical'.

Perhaps because it, like nitro pills, falls under TSA's 'zero tolerance' policy. I wonder if <deleted> would allow it to pass like he says he would allow nitro pills?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:10 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:37 am
Suspended

Perhaps because it, like nitro pills, falls under TSA's 'zero tolerance' policy.
I've given up trying to understand the individual prohibitions by the TSA - they all fall under the general umbrella of "pretending to be useful," anyway.

If the TSA put "stupidity" on their "zero tolerance" list, they'd lose 90% of their employees.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: TSA
You keep quoting the website rules about meds. You do not quote the zero tolerance rules about anything explosive. The TSOs were applying the second rule. All levels of individuals involved, including suits, agree that there is no exception of any sort for medical nitro. I hear 'medical', you profess to hear 'medical', but the TSOs and their bosses that day heard 'nitro'.

Tell me, something, <deleted>. What do you think would have happened if I had transferred my pills to an unlabelled container that had alarmed on a swab? Do you think I would want to be in the position of trying to explain why I had 'artfully concealed' my nitro pills precisely to avoid TSA hassles - for something that I knew should be allowed? Don't you think that explanation, along with a positive swab, would have made me look suspicious?

The reason I do not quote explosives rules is because the heart medication version of nitro is not explosive.

I am uncertain what would have happened if you switched containers, it oculd have been suspicious, but folks switch containers all the time for all sorts of meds. You have unmarked containers that have the days of the week, unmarked containers where someone buys their meds in bulk and they use an old plastic M & M container to take a couple of days worth of meds with them, etc. The act of transporting meds in an unmarked container is not indicative of ill intent (so, no it would not necessarily make you look suspicious as we see people all the time that transport meds in a variety of containers). With an alarm there should be some additional scrutiny, but a bottle of pills is not something I am going to be up in arms about. I have not found a bottle of pills that could not be cleared in a matter of seconds.

Thanks.

Oddly, it isn't named in <deleted>'s cite above, although it is 'medical'.

Perhaps because it, like nitro pills, falls under TSA's 'zero tolerance' policy. I wonder if <deleted> would allow it to pass like he says he would allow nitro pills?
If there is something specifically named as prohibited (such as certain eye solutions) then they would not be allowed - that is an example of a clear cut named item with no wriggle room. The nitro pills are a different situation altogether.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:06 am

If there is something specifically named as prohibited (such as certain eye solutions) then they would not be allowed - that is an example of a clear cut named item with no wriggle room. The nitro pills are a different situation altogether.
If a passenger transfers Clear Care to another bottle from an allowed eye solution, the TSA will never know.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
If a passenger transfers Clear Care to another bottle from an allowed eye solution, the TSA will never know.
Unless the new container is randomly tested. Then the pax is guilty of attempting to 'artfully conceal' contraband material.

With all due respect to <deleted>, the facts are clear: the website prohibits certain substances and allows medicines.

There is one clear (no pun intended) exception to the medical liquids rule, and it is spelled out: Clear Care is not allowed. Interestingly, Clear Care will only be spotted if the TSO is reading labels - just like the TSO who examined my pill bottles. <deleted> may not read labels, but I would suggest that the Clear Care prohibition assumes that TSOs are, in fact, supposed to be scrutinizing medical liquids, keeping an 'eye out' for Clear Care.

There is no similar exception to the explosives rule to permit medical nitro.

I don't plan on flying out of GSO, so I won't be carrying my medical nitro when I fly. I will continue to put myself at medical risk rather than risk being put on the 'watch' or 'no-fly' list. The managers involved with the prior confiscation told me a report would be made, so I'm already on record.

Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
You all think I'm joking, but I'm going to draw a picture of a gun and place it in my carry-on, or maybe I'll just put it in the bin on top of the rest of my stuff and see what happens.
Or print out this picture.

Then tell little Johnny PeePants TSA employee it's a pic of a full size advertisement in the sterile side of the LAS terminal.

Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by Caradoc
I've used Clear Care for years, and before that, Aosept which is pretty much the same thing. I used to travel with a big bottle of it in my carry-on before the liquid ban went into effect. It's funny, but planes that I traveled on weren't falling out of the sky. I'm still here to post this.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by N965VJ

Then tell little Johnny PeePants TSA employee it's a pic of a full size advertisement in the sterile side of the LAS terminal. [/IMG][/URL]
That's great!

For anyone who's curious, I didn't muster the courage to bring my drawing of a gun with me on my last trip. Yeah, I know, I'm cowardly and wanted to travel that day.

But at least here, hidden safely in my basement, typing joyfully behind a proxy, I can courageously say NEXT time I'll do it!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ

Then tell little Johnny PeePants TSA employee it's a pic of a full size advertisement in the sterile side of the LAS terminal.

Yet another reason to visit Vegas before I depart this mortal coil!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Yet another reason to visit Vegas before I depart this mortal coil!
I took my wife and two sons (early 20's) and we had a blast (pun intended). The people running the place are highly professional and they are very friendly. My sons and I picked a three gun package each, I had an AK-47, a little belt fed machine gun and a full auto AR-15. It ain't cheap.

We (sons and I) thought it would be funny to buy my wife a package that included a cute (?) pink AK-47 and a 9mm Glock. She went first and shot a 8" group with the Glock. OK, I'm impressed. Then she wore out the heart circle with the AK. We have been married over 30 years and I learned something.

I asked her if her dad (1000 yd marksman, WWII, they call them snipers today) had taught her to shoot. She gave me the "Well, duh" look and I made a mental note that making her mad and trying to run away would be a waste of time.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I took my wife and two sons (early 20's) and we had a blast (pun intended). The people running the place are highly professional and they are very friendly. My sons and I picked a three gun package each, I had an AK-47, a little belt fed machine gun and a full auto AR-15. It ain't cheap.

We (sons and I) thought it would be funny to buy my wife a package that included a cute (?) pink AK-47 and a 9mm Glock. She went first and shot a 8" group with the Glock. OK, I'm impressed. Then she wore out the heart circle with the AK. We have been married over 30 years and I learned something.

I asked her if her dad (1000 yd marksman, WWII, they call them snipers today) had taught her to shoot. She gave me the "Well, duh" look and I made a mental note that making her mad and trying to run away would be a waste of time.
That is awesome! I figured any setup like this will cost a ton. The last full auto I shot was an M16A2. It was nice, but some of the improvements in design and control abilities on the newer models sounds excellent and I would love to try some of the WWII era guns as well. My wife was the same way, first time we went shooting, she dropped a 6 round hole, thats right, singular... at 25 yards with an old wheelhorse .38. I was a bit taken off guard and she explained that she went shooting with her Dad and Uncles since she was old enough to hold a gun. She also gave me the "really, you are surprised by this" look and proceeded to keep pace with me, then really smoked me on the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I felt rather schooled and humbled after the experience. I would love to let her get a hold on a grease gun or MP40 to see what comes next...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:50 pm

[QUOTE=relangford;21935149]I was told by a TSA "agent" that even using the words "gun" or "bomb" or "threat" or the likes in the security area can make a traverler subject to arrest. By the way, he was in the security area when he spoke those forbidden words!/QUOTE]

There's a big difference between using a word and mentioning a word. According to your account, he merely mentioned the forbidden words. No conflict there.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
That is awesome! I figured any setup like this will cost a ton. The last full auto I shot was an M16A2. It was nice, but some of the improvements in design and control abilities on the newer models sounds excellent and I would love to try some of the WWII era guns as well. My wife was the same way, first time we went shooting, she dropped a 6 round hole, thats right, singular... at 25 yards with an old wheelhorse .38. I was a bit taken off guard and she explained that she went shooting with her Dad and Uncles since she was old enough to hold a gun. She also gave me the "really, you are surprised by this" look and proceeded to keep pace with me, then really smoked me on the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I felt rather schooled and humbled after the experience. I would love to let her get a hold on a grease gun or MP40 to see what comes next...
A bit over $500 for the whole package for the four of us. By my estimate, we burned through $300 in ammo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.