Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA disarms sock monkey. Flying public safe again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA disarms sock monkey. Flying public safe again

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
It begs the question: Are pictures of guns also subject to confiscation? If I held a picture of a gun up to the neck of a TSO, would he know the difference between that and a real gun?
Ce n'est pas une pipe.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:24 pm

I, for one, would love to hear his thoughts on the matter. I'm sure he could do the prevaricating-shuffle quite well as a possible defense.
He wasn't there so he can't comment on exactly what transpired.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by petaluma1
He wasn't there so he can't comment on exactly what transpired.
It hasn't stopped him before

I was thinking of drawing a tube of toothpaste that's bigger than 3 ounces and bringing that with. Or maybe I'll just bring a sock monkey with a miniature tube of toothpaste and see if that gets confiscated.

If I held the miniature tube of toothpaste close to your teeth would you know the difference?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:34 pm

I'm flying through MSP next week. I'll bring with a drawing of a gun to see what happens, then report back here.
Bring a blank piece of paper. The possibilities will terrify them.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And the Secret Service wrestled the sock monkey to the ground.....
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
It can't be real; It must be parody. Even the TSA can't be this stupid, can they?
They can, and they are. I would have been tempted to let her call the police.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
I missed this picture the first time I read the article, or it's been added since the morning, showing the scale of the gun. Slightly larger than a quarter

Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
they ask me "WHY are you laughing"? I ask them "why do you ask, is my laughing coming out of my mouth in the shape of a gun or bomb?'
I was told by a TSA "agent" that even using the words "gun" or "bomb" or "threat" or the likes in the security area can make a traverler subject to arrest. By the way, he was in the security area when he spoke those forbidden words!

Just grab an issue of American Rifleman.
Add to that a copy of Soldier of Fortune.

Last edited by relangford; Dec 9, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by relangford
Add to that a copy of Soldier of Fortune.
"Combat Handguns" would be one to carry.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
You'll have the clerks soiling their skivvies doing that.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by relangford
I was told by a TSA "agent" that even using the words "gun" or "bomb" or "threat" or the likes in the security area can make a traverler subject to arrest. By the way, he was in the security area when he spoke those forbidden words!
Well, this guy works for an agency that believes that giving a guy a tin badge makes him a competent security guard, so take it for what it's worth.

On the other hand, I'd love to see the LEO's expression when the TSO tells him to arrest you for saying, "I'm no threat. I have neither a gun nor a bomb."

Mike
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
This Frightening Replica Firearm better show up on the weekly TSA record of everything they've saved us from or I'll be very upset with the TSA blog. If it was in the bag and in the holster on the doll does it count as "artfully concealed" as well?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by Caradoc
I do have a copy of "The Anarchist Cookbook." Would that get any reaction?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: TSA
I'm curious where gsoltso went. Doesn't he have something to add to this subject concerning the actions of his brethren?
I am still here, I believe the article says enough in this case. If it is not a realistic replica, then it should be allowed...

Funny side note, I have a stuffed gorilla named "Monk Monk" that goes on vacation and has his picture taken while doing cool stuff, he carries a miniature gun and knife with him. Of course, he doesn't like to fly, so when I go by air, he stays home...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gsoltso
I am still here, I believe the article says enough in this case. If it is not a realistic replica, then it should be allowed..
Clerk <deleted>, we understand that it should be allowed. Why wasn't it? And why does this sort of thing (and worse) happen over and over and over? Are clerks generally too stupid to be able to do their jobs according to their instructions? Are they too lazy to pay attention to their instructions? Why isn't the response in a case like this to fire the offending clerk?

The loss to the passenger was small, but it is a real loss. We make jokes about it because of its ridiculousness, but a real passenger lost a real item because a TSA clerk was too lazy or too stupid to learn and follow the rules.

This is on a continuum with the Stacey Armato incident (although at the low end of the scale). In that case, if you remember, a woman was imprisoned for an hour and missed her flight because she wanted the clerks to follow the rules. Was anybody involved in the incident fired?

Is the clerk in this incident going to be fired? It seems to me that retraining won't do much good. If the initial training wasn't enough to teach her the difference between a gun the size of a quarter and a real gun, what good is retraining going to do?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:20 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.