Search

What backscatter could really see.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:39 am
Original Poster

What backscatter could really see.

X-Ray Guy guest
• 4 hours ago

Well as a guy who repairs the systems, I can tell you a few things. All three photos are from the same Backscatter X-Ray system. When they say it does not penetrate the skin, you can see for your self it does. The radiation penetrates organs just fine. The fatter you are the less penetration. On vertical lift systems, the X-ray rotates slowly from 3' to ground which gives higher doses than in test measurements that the MFG tells the techs to mesure above 3'. thats why you can see the shin bones and even outlines of the femors in the scans. Also can easily make out the lungs and ribs, intestines and such. The techs don't usually get personal radiation dosimeters either. You don't usually find image #2 online because the companies don't want to show that ALL xrays systems penetrate the skin. They use software to mask internal structures.

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/media...0/original.jpg

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/media...1/original.jpg

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/media...2/original.jpg
http://tsanewsblog.com/846/news/tsa-...ent-1132385314
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:21 am
Suspended

So... who's surprised?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow -- it's amazing that the tech was able to store and transmit those images, because, as we all know, the TSA told us many times that they couldn't store and transmit imagery from the Cancer Boxes.

And, of course, they told us that there is no need to worry about the Gumby images from the MMW machines because they don't generate explicit images anymore.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Caradoc
So... who's surprised?
TSA or DHS.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 10:54 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
And yet the bidding specifications for the machines required that they be able to do exactly that.
Probably should have used a different emoticon. I was one of the folks who exposed this, quoting from the actual specs themselves.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Has anyone carried a radiation detector, such as a film badge or TLD, though the NOS? What were the readings?

Also. recently, I went through security at LHR and was told by the agent that I had a metal inplant in my right leg, which is correct. He then said he had to touch it, and then said, "Oh, you have a lot of swelling." This medical information was correct.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I want to show you something. It's my shocked face.

Terrorism is violence perpetrated to instill fear. Mission accomplished. We have become the greatest threat to our own freedom and, it would seem, our own lives.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by javabytes
I want to show you something. It's my shocked face.

Terrorism is violence perpetrated to instill fear. Mission accomplished. We have become the greatest threat to our own freedom and, it would seem, our own lives.
Terrorism isn't "violence", it is any action planned to instill fear.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
Terrorism isn't "violence", it is any action planned to instill fear.
Well it is now since it's the excuse now to invade countries, detain people without trial, etc. It's definition before 9/11 definitely meant "violence".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.