Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should TSA agents be armed?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Nope. Trained personnell that are armed should be stationed at all entrance and exits.
No. We should keep calm and carry on.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm

No. They should be unemployed. Then we can hire actual security professionals who focus on actual security threats and not the illusion of security theater.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by mbece
I would feel very threatened if TSA agents were armed.
Me too. In fact i'd most likely avoid the USA altogether.

The mentality the TSA promotes and the type of person it employs are such that arming them would be a disaster. Quite apart from the potential for TSA weapons to find their way airside with horrific consequences. I don't think having armed personnel at checkpoints is unraesonable, especially not in such a heavily armed nation as the USA, but they need to be trained, reliable professionals.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. But public school teachers should be.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I don't trust them unarmed. Why should I trust them with a gun?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
1. Some people when you give them guns become power mongers... do we need more of that?

2. They are unionized, in the event of salary arbitration they can seek Federal peace officer wages - they are overpaid as is and that would amount to a big pay raise for them.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:17 pm
Suspended

The American people will never allow it. They should but this country has become so liberal.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:19 pm

Absolutely not.

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
In addition, would being armed make those power tripping TSA a.......s even more unpleasant than they already are?
Yes, pretty much. It would make the job even more appealing to wannabe LEOs who, for whatever reason, aren't qualified for actual LEO jobs. I have, on occasion, met TSA employees who were pleasant, helpful, and possessed of common sense (at least one of whom was working on a degree to do something else--I suspect most, if not all of the good ones cycle out). If we must have this agency, we need more of this group. I suspect adding weapons would make the job even less appealing to them.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:35 pm

Absolutely not. At least not until the qualification standards and training are overhauled significantly. Right now, it would be like the person who mans the drive thru window carrying a gun.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Emma1420
Absolutely not. At least not until the qualification standards and training are overhauled significantly. Right now, it would be like the person who mans the drive thru window carrying a gun.
You are impugning the fine men, women, and teens who work at drive-thrus by your comparison.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
It's funny to find this thread. I was just this morning reading an article, and I kept having this dread that someone would suggest arming the TSA.

Thankfully, no one that counts has made such a suggestion that I've seen.

I would argue that introducing more guns into the airport environment would make things more dangerous. Accidental shootings, the higher possibility of a service weapon going "missing", etc. That being said, when I've seen LEO's deployed at checkpoints, they're never paying attention....always looking down with a glazed, bored look. If there had been an LEO at the checkpoint, I imagine he or she would have been the first target.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
You are impugning the fine men, women, and teens who work at drive-thrus by your comparison.

Very true, but I believe the qualification standards are about the same.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I read a CNN article yesterday where mention was made of police officers being bored with checkpoint duty. The author cited instances where they read books, check e-mail and use their cell phones, implying they could not give 100% attention to the checkpoint when their attention is distracted. I haven't seen a police officer at an SFO checkpoint in years, though they are very visible throughout the airport, including on segways and bicycles. Sounds like LAX has the same strategy in place.

I think we're looking at some new armed security branch within the TSA down the line. That branch will provide armed guards at the checkpoints in place of local law enforcement and be responsible to TSA management versus the airport manager/police chief. I don't think they'll go the police officer route because of the training involved at that level (minimum 15 week academy on the federal side, much more if you use a local/regional academy here in CA). Maybe just the security guard route with a few weeks of training to keep their costs down. They'll also cost a lot less than police officers and could be funded by the TSA.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by astroflyer
It's funny to find this thread. I was just this morning reading an article, and I kept having this dread that someone would suggest arming the TSA.

Thankfully, no one that counts has made such a suggestion that I've seen.

I would argue that introducing more guns into the airport environment would make things more dangerous. Accidental shootings, the higher possibility of a service weapon going "missing", etc. That being said, when I've seen LEO's deployed at checkpoints, they're never paying attention....always looking down with a glazed, bored look. If there had been an LEO at the checkpoint, I imagine he or she would have been the first target.
I'm not going to bother digging for a cite - it's easy enough to find, maybe on CNN. The LE staffing at LAX had been shifted very recently, apparently partly in response to complaints from LEs stationed at the sterile side of the checkpoints who were complaining about being bored. There were reports that they were often seen texting or reading. They were reassigned to roam around in the terminal instead.

I don't think they ever expected to be called upon to do anything more than arrest a pax found with a weapon, drugs or large sum of $ at the checkpoint - or possibly one who was accused of showing attitude to a TSO.

I've already seen discussion about the need to up the weaponry the police carry, perhaps arming them with AR-15s so they won't be outgunned.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK this prohibits arming the screener.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 4, 2013 at 11:35 am Reason: derogatory reference to TSA employees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.