Community
Wiki Posts
Search

German passports to allow M, F, or X sex.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
German passports to allow M, F, or X sex.

German passports will be issued with three possible sex indications: M, F, or X. That is male, female and intersex classifications, including for newborn babies.

Well done Germany. It is long overdue that states realize that shoving people into binary categories fails to work for the diverse species of human beings.

Australia already allowed for this, but there were problems from the machine-reading of the machine-readable sections. New Zealand also allows for X IIRC.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Does that mean that Lufthansa will no longer insist on calling me DR MR PASSMETHESICKBAG?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
German passports will be issued with three possible sex indications: M, F, or X. That is male, female and intersex classifications, including for newborn babies.

Well done Germany. It is long overdue that states realize that shoving people into binary categories fails to work for the diverse species of human beings.

Australia already allowed for this, but there were problems from the machine-reading of the machine-readable sections. New Zealand also allows for X IIRC.
^^^
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold

As far as I know, nature divided the human species into only 2 categories. Male or female. Is there a new member of the species?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinbob
As far as I know, nature divided the human species into only 2 categories. Male or female. Is there a new member of the species?
Not much of a medical science background?

Nature also creates people that are intersex at birth -- even on the chromosomal level but not limited to that.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001669.htm

NIH is part of the USG.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:53 pm

This is so cool, and so PC.
Except I think they should have Y and Z designation too.
For example my friend got his johnson removed and then
reattached and then had his/her labia readjusted and removed,
same with his/her breasts so the "Z" designation should apply, to accommodate ambivalent people like this, like, what does everybody think?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not much of a medical science background?

Nature also creates people that are intersex at birth -- even on the chromosomal level but not limited to that.
But don't those usually get "fixed" at birth? And a specific sex chosen?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not necessarily, unless forced to. [I doubt that most intersex babies get "fixed" in India at birth in the way you suggest; some even need passports to get "fixed".]

However do you suggest a chromosomal "fix" for a person already born? Conducting such genetic experiments on intersex newborn babies is safe?

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 2, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:02 pm

You got to watch more PBS programs. Then you would be up to date and surprised as well.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Welcome to FT, Mr Van Winkle. And how was your nap?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24767225

Apparently Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Pakistan are other countries -- beyond those mentioned earlier -- that are sort of there too in having government-issued ID docs useful for travel that include a sex categorization that is not a binary M or F categorization.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not necessarily, unless forced to. [I doubt that most intersex babies get "fixed" in India at birth in the way you suggest; some even need passports to get "fixed".]

However do you suggest a chromosomal "fix" for a person already born? Conducting such genetic experiments on intersex newborn babies is safe?
But don't they usually live as one or the other sex?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

But don't they usually live as one or the other sex?
Some usually don't; and some usually do. The human species is sufficiently diverse in a way that a binary sex classification for a growing number of people is unnatural at time of birth; and being forced into binary classification regime for sex would be increasingly misleading given there is a growing number of people who don't fit into a simple male or female sex classification at time of birth and even well beyond.

Three of the ten biggest democracies in the world now accept and issue non-male/non-female sex listings on government-issued ID used for travel: India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Hopefully their passports will get there too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 3, 2013 at 8:39 am
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
From news.bbc.co.uk:

'Sometimes surgery is done on the baby to turn its physical characteristics as far as possible in one direction or the other, our correspondent says.

The law in Germany has been changed following a review of cases which revealed great unhappiness.

In one case, a person with no clear gender-defining genitalia was subjected to surgery. The person said many years later: "I am neither a man nor a woman. I will remain the patchwork created by doctors, bruised and scarred." '
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:51 am

"I am neither a man nor a woman. I will remain the patchwork created by doctors, bruised and scarred." '

Whoa, heavy, dude, heavy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.