Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
If you want to understand the TSA mentality, take another look at this:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/new-mexi...cek-quick.html

Mocek was acquitted without putting on his own case, because his video showed that the TSA clerks and the police committed perjury. And Bob "thanked the police for their support"

And look at this, in the comments. First, a clerk posing as a passenger:

Everyone is harping on the "Not Guilty" verdict. A jury of his peers found OJ Simpson not guilty as well while most thinking Americans disagreed. To those idiots spouting drivel about SSI not being classified, you're right but so what. It is controlled information and there is a law that makes it so. All your self righteous whining does not change it. You're the same crowd who became angry when a traitorous private gave away classified information to wikileaks but you think SSI information should be freely handed out to every dimwit who asks for it. That includes you Mr. fired Air Marshall.

There is no misleading here, just a lot of refusal to admit facts that are inconvenient. Interferring with screening? How would you like to be behind this knucklehead in line waiting to get to your flight and have his little public display keep you standing there rather than boarding your flight? I fly a lot and have grown tired of the lunatics who have a point to prove at my expense. Get out of the way and let me go through the legal process to board my flight. If you truly think you have legal grounds to fight with TSA, take it to court and to Congress. Think about it, would you be able to do your job properly with a camera shoved in your face by an antagonistic customer? I don't feel comfortable that the officers are able to do their job right with distractions and protests. Take your camera and step aside, you can film from out of the way and nobody at TSA is going to bother you. That has been the case for years and I have seen it to be true in a dozen airports over the last few years. Just stay out of my way and the officers way and you're fine. Get in the way or act like a priviledged nut and you are interferring in my book.
And then, in response, a member of the TSA blog team:

GSOLTSO said...

Anon began with – “Everyone is harping on the "Not Guilty" verdict. A jury of his peers found OJ Simpson not guilty as well while most thinking Americans disagreed.” And continued with many other comments.

Thanks! Nice to see someone else making a point about what happens when the process is held up for personal reasons instead of sheer volume of traffic. It causes delays and takes away time from other people. Thanks for making these points.

Earl Pitts sez – “There's a big difference between leaking actual classified information and an overused SSI.”

From a end user point of view, there is no difference. The TSO at the checkpoint has to operate under the rules they are given. You may make the case that some of the items rated as SSI should not be SSI, but to the TSO at the TDC, it makes no difference – they still have to follow those rules until the classifying authority rates the information non-SSI. The TSOs all the way up to FSDs and beyond have a duty to follow those rules, to do otherwise could open them up to charges/punitive actions on behalf of the organization.

Anon sez – “So you're more important than me?”

No passenger is more important than any other, so your argument makes the case for both sides of this argument. A passenger making a social statement is no more important than the one wanting to get through screening and go get a coffee. The problem is the one making a stand causes delays for others, and the others have a valid right to make complaint about it – just like you have the right to complain about the procedures in place in the checkpoints.

Anon sez – “How in the world could all of the TSA employees involved in checking this man's identity not know that it is permissible to record at the checkpoint?”

The question was not about filming in the checkpoint area, but about what was being filmed – namely SSI material, which the TSOs have a duty to try and prevent.

Anon sez – “at least spell it right: insofar= one word”

Wow, free English lessons!! Thanks…

<redacted for privacy>
TSA Blog Team
February 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Now, think about it. This is a case in which the clerks filed a FALSE POLICE REPORT because a passenger was doing something explicitly allowed by TSA rules, and then committed PERJURY in an attempt to falsely convict the passenger.

No indication from anybody at the TSA that filing false police reports and perjury are wrong. No indication that the fact that a jury brought in a not-guilty verdict (in a case where no defense case was presented) indicates that the clerks or police did anything wrong. Look in particular at one thing "<redacted for privacy>" said in the comment I quote above:

The problem is the one making a stand causes delays for others, and the others have a valid right to make complaint about it – just like you have the right to complain about the procedures in place in the checkpoints.
No, the passenger making a stand doesn't cause delays. The CLERK who DIDN'T WANT TO FOLLOW THE RULES causes delays. If the clerk had just DONE HIS JOB there wouldn't have been any delays. No acknowledgement on the part of this "<redacted for privacy>" of this fact.

Contrary to what the clerk from GSO says, the TSA blog does not present useful information - it's nothing but lies, excuses for TSA misconduct, and attempts to pretend that the TSA is doing something useful.

What would have been useful would have been if the TSA entered into a serious discussion about what happened in New Mexico - clerks tried to have a passenger convicted of a crime for wanting them to do their jobs. Instead, we got spin, excuses, and false representations of facts.

Basically, the TSA are the dregs of humanity, and the TSA Blog team are the dregs of the TSA.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 27, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think there is a third option; utter morons and despicable thieves.
Agreed. I also think, because of the utter morons component, that once they got Mr. Mayhew to 'voluntarily' surrender it someone would have asked him to autograph it to ensure maximum value when sold on eBay.

While those of us in the real world are, & continue to be, appalled at this kind of behavior, along w/all the other reprehensible behaviors that are well documented amongst the screener ranks, it also clearly demonstrates the culture within the organization as a whole. No amount of re-training is ever going to change that. When a tree in one's backyard is rotten on the inside, it gets cut down. The TSA tree is rotten, but Congress, in who's backyard it is in, prefers to wait until it falls down on its own
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by txrus
It didn't make sense at the time & considering how much coverage there was of the incident in the press, I'm very surprised you are saying you didn't know what was going on.

To put it simply, Mr. Mayhew is 7'3-someone that big is going to need a much more substantial cane than a 4' 85 lbs. granny. Your fellow screeners he interacted with couldn't make that connection. This speaks volumes about the training provided and the caliber of person the TSA hires as a screener.

You seem like a reasonable person so I'm sure you will agree that respect is earned & the TSA has earned every bit of (dis)respect the traveling public has for it by actions like this. Maybe one day the TSA, & those wearing the blue shirts, will even understand that, but I am not holding my breath.
My comment was meant to indicate that I do not understand what reasoning was being used to create the situation in the first place. Mayhew has tons of pics online with that cane and uses the cane to move around better. He is a tall guy (as you indicated), hence a larger than average cane - so I am confused about what led to the situation in the first place.

Respect is something to be earned, and it is something you have to work for every single day. You can't expect passengers to come in, be yelled at, treated like dirt and then have respect for the people doing the yelling and treating them like dirt. It truly is simple, be polite and courteous, be professional at all times, and do the bloody job per the SOP and regs - if all of our TSOs would do that every day, we would have 1/20th the bad apple stories.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gsoltso
My comment was meant to indicate that I do not understand what reasoning was being used to create the situation in the first place. Mayhew has tons of pics online with that cane and uses the cane to move around better. He is a tall guy (as you indicated), hence a larger than average cane - so I am confused about what led to the situation in the first place.

Respect is something to be earned, and it is something you have to work for every single day. You can't expect passengers to come in, be yelled at, treated like dirt and then have respect for the people doing the yelling and treating them like dirt. It truly is simple, be polite and courteous, be professional at all times, and do the bloody job per the SOP and regs - if all of our TSOs would do that every day, we would have 1/20th the bad apple stories.
The reasoning used was explained by eyecue, our resident 'good apple' DEN TSO. You can search for the thread yourself.

The gist of it: there are SSI rules not available to the public that limit walking sticks/canes. Those rules include length and weight limitations. Supposedly, when Mr. Mayhew objected to having his walking stick confiscated (he needs it, it is not just for show), after a great deal of discussion, the TSOs exercised their judgment and decided to make a one-time exception.

I have no reason to believe that those rules don't exist; I believe eyecue is who he says he is and I believe those rules exist.

However...what rules (if they are not SSI) govern crutches? I ask because although 4' might seem tall for a cane or walking stick, even a fairly short person would use crutches that are longer than 4'.

I can't rely on the website, of course, because if the rules restricting walking sticks and canes aren't published, and it's a matter of 'screener judgment', then I assume the same holds true for crutches.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
If you want to understand the TSA mentality, take another look at this:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/new-mexi...cek-quick.html

Mocek was acquitted without putting on his own case, because his video showed that the TSA clerks and the police committed perjury. And Bob "thanked the police for their support"

And look at this, in the comments. First, a clerk posing as a passenger:

And then, in response, a member of the TSA blog team:

Now, think about it. This is a case in which the clerks filed a FALSE POLICE REPORT because a passenger was doing something explicitly allowed by TSA rules, and then committed PERJURY in an attempt to falsely convict the passenger.

No indication from anybody at the TSA that filing false police reports and perjury are wrong. No indication that the fact that a jury brought in a not-guilty verdict (in a case where no defense case was presented) indicates that the clerks or police did anything wrong. Look in particular at one thing "<redacted for privacy>" said in the comment I quote above:

No, the passenger making a stand doesn't cause delays. The CLERK who DIDN'T WANT TO FOLLOW THE RULES causes delays. If the clerk had just DONE HIS JOB there wouldn't have been any delays. No acknowledgement on the part of this "<redacted for privacy>" of this fact.

Contrary to what the clerk from GSO says, the TSA blog does not present useful information - it's nothing but lies, excuses for TSA misconduct, and attempts to pretend that the TSA is doing something useful.

What would have been useful would have been if the TSA entered into a serious discussion about what happened in New Mexico - clerks tried to have a passenger convicted of a crime for wanting them to do their jobs. Instead, we got spin, excuses, and false representations of facts.

Basically, the TSA are the dregs of humanity, and the TSA Blog team are the dregs of the TSA.
Bob thanked ABQ PD because they came and assisted when they were asked, nothing more, nothing less.

You assume that the OP was a TSA employee, which ties into the comment I made earlier in this thread - just because someone claims they are something, does not make it so - the flip side of that is that just because you disagree with someones comment does not make them an empployee of the organization.

My comment was directed at a specific comment, and if you read that comment http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/new-mexi...70962317881745 it applied much better in the context it was presented.

We will simply have to disagree on the value of the information presented on the TSA blog.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 27, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Bob thanked ABQ PD because they came and assisted when they were asked, nothing more, nothing less.

You assume that the OP was a TSA employee, which ties into the comment I made earlier in this thread - just because someone claims they are something, does not make it so - the flip side of that is that just because you disagree with someones comment does not make them an empployee of the organization.

My comment was directed at a specific comment, and if you read that comment http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/new-mexi...70962317881745 it applied much better in the context it was presented.

We will simply have to disagree on the value of the information presented on the TSA blog.
What I 'assume' is what most reasonable people assume: it's a taxpayer-funded, government-moderated official Blog. If someone posts as a TSO and that post is allowed to stand unchallenged, then 1) that poster is a TSO and (more importantly) 2) the information or attitude contained in the post are OK with HQ.

If I read an (self-identified) engineer's blog and people comment as engineers, you're right - I don't know if they are engineers or not.

If I'm on an official, airline-sponsored and moderated blog designed to communicate with pax, I assume that comments from (real or alleged) employees are 1) actually from employees and 2) accurate in content.

If I am on a taxpayer-funded, government run and moderated official TSA blog and someone posts as a TSO, I assume that the TSA employee moderating the blog has seen the comment and, with far more inside knowledge than I possess, agreed with the information in that post or the attitude expressed in that post, as it reflects on the organization as a whole.

In that respect, the Blog is 'helpful' because it clearly demonstrates the attitude of at least some TSA employees towards the flying public and it displays the misinformation on the website and the randomness of the rules (I have seen two self-identified TSOs disagree with each other).

If I hear a fellow employee dispensing inaccurate information (or, rarely, a shabby attitude), I will correct him/her on the spot - for his own education, and for the benefit of the client. If I don't, it reflects badly on me and the organization as a whole.

No one here holds you responsible for the Blog. You are, however, responsible for an inexcusable defense of the misinformation and disrespect displayed by TSOs, real or alleged.

You say (rightfully) that we don't know if someone who self-identifies as a TSO on the blog and posts like an arse is really a TSO. I say (equally rightfully) that you don't know that he/she is not a TSO.

We have had at least three TSOs on here in the past that I think all would agree were genuine employees of TSA. The contempt and disrespect they exhibited on occasion was shocking. If they couldn't control their temper and hold their fingers before pressing 'submit' on a nasty reply that will be viewed by countless lurkers, a reply that reflects badly on the entire organization, then frankly I don't have confidence that they were able to control themselves at the checkpoint.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's remarkable that TSA and "most" of its employees don't understand this.

Guess it helps prove that TSA is loaded with dim bulbs.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact remains that Mocek did not hold up anyones screening that day. That act was accomplished by TSA employees who apparently didn't know policy or just lied about it.

TSA employees lied about the facts. ABQ PD officers lied about the facts. Mocek was the only honest person in the whole thing.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond

No, the clerk didn't confess to being a clerk. He was just one of the numerous clerks who posts on the TSA blog pretending to be passengers and attacking people who criticize the TSA's numerous failings. And YES, if somebody claims to be a TSA clerk, he's a TSA clerk. Who would admit to being a TSA clerk if he wasn't one?

Your claim that Bob was thanking the Albuquerque police for showing up and assisting is a lie. He initially failed to admit that Mocek was acquitted. And the fact is that it was a bad thing that the police showed up and assisted the TSA in harassing Mocek. Lying is bad. Ignoring your own rules is bad. Attempting to destroy evidence is bad. All those things harm the TSA. The TSA is supposed to be run for the benefit of the country, it isn't supposed to be run to benefit individual clerks. The police shouldn't be thanked for helping clerks do something that's against the rules of the agency.

I know that the comment from "<redacted for privacy>" that I quoted, was directed at a specific comment. I quoted that comment above yours.

In response to Mr. Mocek’s inquiry, the TSA had told him in advance, in writing, that its policies (with which its employees should have been familiar) permit photography and filming at checkpoints.

Knowing that they had no legal authority to interfere with Mr. Mocek’s actions, the TSA called in the police. The police should also have known that they had no legal basis to detain or arrest Mr. Mocek or to stop him from exercising his rights to travel, to film, and to record. But the police falsely arrested Mr. Mocek, confiscated his camera, and tried to destroy the recordings that exonerated Mr. Mocek and incriminated the TSA staff and the police.

This is how Papers Please! summarizes the incident:

http://papersplease.org/wp/2012/09/2...querque-et-al/

Highlight:

In response to Mr. Mocek’s inquiry, the TSA had told him in advance, in writing, that its policies (with which its employees should have been familiar) permit photography and filming at checkpoints.

Knowing that they had no legal authority to interfere with Mr. Mocek’s actions, the TSA called in the police. The police should also have known that they had no legal basis to detain or arrest Mr. Mocek or to stop him from exercising his rights to travel, to film, and to record. But the police falsely arrested Mr. Mocek, confiscated his camera, and tried to destroy the recordings that exonerated Mr. Mocek and incriminated the TSA staff and the police.

Thinking that they had destroyed the audio and video evidence, they then falsified their reports to accuse Mr. Mocek of things he had not done. Fortunately, Mr. Mocek was able to recover the audio and video recordings deleted from his camera, and these recordings were played to the jury which then acquitted Mr. Mocek.
That's what happened, and it's not anything anybody should be thanked for.

Again, a government blog that blames passengers for checkpoint delays caused by rule violations by clerks isn't useful. You are entitled to disagree with it, but try to put forward a persuasive argument supporting your view.

And again:

The TSA are the dregs of humanity, and the TSA blog team are the dregs of the TSA.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 27, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA

I have not forgotten about Stacy Armato, and I have indicated before that things should have been handled much better, and proper redress should have been applied.
Just curious; what would you consider to be "proper redress"?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T-the-B
From the video and other discussions about this incident I believe the person wearing the suit standing behind Stacy outside of the box was a TSA employee, very likely a TSM or higher.

That person should have been arrested and charged with kidnapping, unlawful detention, depravation of a persons rights and anything else a jail house lawyer could dream up. 15 to 20 years in the county jail would be proper punishment for that person.

Every other TSA employee involved in the incident should have been fired on the spot once what they were doing was understood. Just following orders is not a defense in this type of case.

That would be proper redress in my opinion.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Oct 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Is there really anything "difficult to understand" or "confusing" about a couple of TSA "screeners" on a wild power trip trying to steal a man's (admittedly really cool) cane?

It's part of "TSA culture." Steal what you can while abusing anyone who looks like they won't put up too much of a fuss so as to impress upon all onlookers the "authoritah" wielded by TSA "screeners."

The part I wouldn't understand is why those involved weren't publicly and loudly terminated - if I didn't already know everything I need to know about the "TSA culture," that is.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Every other TSA employee involved in the incident should have been fired on the spot once what they were doing was understood.
Arrested and charged. Then fired, so it'd still be on record that they were charged with multiple felonies and civil rights violations "under color of authority."
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Arrested and charged. Then fired, so it'd still be on record that they were charged with multiple felonies and civil rights violations "under color of authority."

Oh, who's to quibble. Maybe we could repurpose the useless TSA no-honor guards into firing squads. Need to be sure to bill the cost of bullets to the families.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by T-the-B
As far as specifics, I am not well versed enough in the punitive allowances/requirements for something of this nature. That means that I am limited to saying that action should have been taken to address this and apply proper redress within the regulations. That is a big sentence of gobbledygook that means I am uncertain what measures could/should be taken in a situation like this - I also do not have all the information that would be needed (such as statements from all involved) in order to formulate a good estimate of what specific action should have been taken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.