Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Spiff
The security of airlines and airports should be 100% the purview of the airlines and the airports. The federal government should have no say in the matter and should be physically ejected from all US airports.
In that case, should the airlines and airports involved be forced to pay for the 9/11 damage rather than the federal (and state and local) governments?

Just asking.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by cbn42
In that case, should the airlines and airports involved be forced to pay for the 9/11 damage rather than the federal (and state and local) governments?
If they were liable, yes. However, the only reason that the criminals succeeded in crashing the planes was cooperation by the crew with the criminals. Such cooperation was dictated by the federal government.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:53 pm

If they were liable, yes. However, the only reason that the criminals succeeded in crashing the planes was cooperation by the crew with the criminals. Such cooperation was dictated by the federal government.
If that were the case, then how come Flight 93 crashed? Its crew and passengers did not cooperate with the criminals, and yet it crashed (albeit not into its intended target).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:08 pm

If that were the case, then how come Flight 93 crashed? Its crew and passengers did not cooperate with the criminals, and yet it crashed (albeit not into its intended target).
The crew cooperated initially (that's how the criminals entered the cockpit) and then the passengers and crew fought back when they realized from reports elsewhere that the federal government's policy of unconditional cooperation was a loser.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:45 pm

The crew cooperated initially (that's how the criminals entered the cockpit) and then the passengers and crew fought back when they realized from reports elsewhere that the federal government's policy of unconditional cooperation was a loser.
But since there were no secure cockpit doors back then, the criminals could have probably entered anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:16 pm

But since there were no secure cockpit doors back then, the criminals could have probably entered anyway.
Maybe, maybe not. The pilots have always had a crash-axe in the cockpit and might have fought back and/or just landed the plane instead of cooperating, as dictated by the federal government.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
OMG this is going to be skewed bad. Most of the posters in here are TSA haters. You dont really expect to get a valid cross sectional representation do you?
Well, you have every right to post the website on every internal TSA message board you can find.

People who don't fly on airplanes probably don't care about the TSA.

My point being that posting a survey on Flyertalk is going to result in very biased and misleading results.
You're right, but, we are the most affected. People don't care until they get groped at a train station or bus stop, or, have themselves irradiated at a freeway checkpoint.

Originally Posted by Ronlap
I was going through the pre-check line in Boston when I was selected for a random check. They swabbed my hands and put the fabric wipe into the machine which lit up with "Explosives Detected."

The TSA agent calmly steered me into a private room and two other agents followed. One was an observer and the other explained where he would be touching me and whether it would be palms in or palms out. After a rub down and examination of my carry on, I was free to go. Total time was under 10 minutes. Very professional.
How can you possibly assert that someone, in the name of the United States government, who fondled your genitals in a private room, was professional?

Originally Posted by kkmail
Well put.. Flyer talk has some well spoken writers but as a whole your definitely correct. F.T. fans will argue how terrible the TSA is but when push comes to shove, they realize they are much needed. I in fact have had several horrifying experiences with the TSA but I am happy to pay the $5-$10 per ticket, whatever it may be to keep them around. If you care how much that may be exactly, ask any of these F. Talkers that have like 2000 post's.... Hahahaha !
No, they aren't needed. Nothing about the security checkpoints on 9/11/2001 caused the hijackings. We have argued that point until we are blue in the face. This is all about security theater, with the audience being the Congress.

You are completely wrong. I'd travel even more if TSA were tossed out into the street or into prison where they belong.

The security of airlines and airports should be 100% the purview of the airlines and the airports. The federal government should have no say in the matter and should be physically ejected from all US airports.
Absolutely. I would invite those who care to look through previous threads in which people have written about how much their air travel has been reduced or eliminated as a result of the TSA and their draconian procedures. I have driven from Washington DC to New Orleans, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Boston rather than fly -- all within the past six months. For the other trips, I use video teleconferencing whenever possible, often at the expense of really weird work hours. I'm just one guy, but, if you multiply me times many more who do this a lot more often then me, it's pretty easy to show just how many tens of millions of dollars in revenue the TSA has cost the airline industry. THEY are the ones who ought to be screaming bloody murder.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Medical quackery has been deemed effective by subjects of the cure-all, snake-oil salesmen before. It comes down how effectiveness is defined/perceived. Having no measurably-demonstrated statistically significant reduction in adverse outcomes isn't my idea of effectiveness. However, when the objective is to play charlatan and exploit the emotions and relative ignorance of elements of the public and gain from the material self-interests of shameless self-dealing types, then it's effective for the TSA.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:09 pm

I am a New Zealander and first time ever touched my foot in USA early this year as my kids both would really love to see the USA.

I am so ANGRY the fact that TSA had ruined my daughter's suitcase. We went to Macy's in NYC and my daughter really want a new suitcase, so we let her choose one and especially mentioned to find one that has TSA lock on it.

She was due to fly to LHR that night and will only have few hours in our home after her NYC flight.

I was sooooooooooooo disappointed when finding her BRAND NEW suitcase lock has been cut. It is a brand new SAMSONITE suit case that she wanted to take to UK.

This is really appalling, I understand that even a brand new suitcase may have fault in them, but why on earth do they not calling us and get us to open the case? What is it about opening them behind our back? Surely they know that we are in the airport by the time they have our bags?

I really think that they should have more courtesy to other people, but obviously not. I hope that will be my first and my last time to ever go to USA thank you.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Medical quackery has been deemed effective by subjects of the cure-all, snake-oil salesmen before. It comes down how effectiveness is defined/perceived. Having no measurably-demonstrated statistically significant reduction in adverse outcomes isn't my idea of effectiveness.
Since terrorism is so rare to begin with, it would be almost impossible to have a "measurably-demonstrated statistically significant reduction" in terrorist incidents, no matter what you do. Therefore, by your logic, all security measures are ineffective.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Since terrorism is so rare to begin with, it would be almost impossible to have a "measurably-demonstrated statistically significant reduction" in terrorist incidents, no matter what you do. Therefore, by your logic, all security measures are ineffective.
The above conclusion/claim is not true at all. Security measures exist for reasons beyond just interdicting an act of terrorism underway at an airport and/or on a plane.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The above conclusion/claim is not true at all. Security measures exist for reasons beyond just interdicting an act of terrorism underway at an airport and/or on a plane.
So if you don't look at terrorism, how do you propose to measure the effectiveness of security measures?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
There is a bug in the poll page of:
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....ve-is-the-tsa/
If you Firefox 22.0 then the submit button will not appear.
IE 10 works.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:00 pm

So if you don't look at terrorism, how do you propose to measure the effectiveness of security measures?
I'd have truly independent organizations evaluate the necessity, safety, and effectiveness of all security measures. The analysis and results should be published--with minimal redaction--for public scrutiny.

Having the fox evaluate the need for a chicken fryer doesn't work out so well for the chickens.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by ScatterX
I'd have truly independent organizations evaluate the necessity, safety, and effectiveness of all security measures.
Yes, but on what criteria?

As we established earlier, terrorism is so rare that you can't measure changes in terrorist activity from year to year in any meaningful way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.