Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

"don't have to take freedom baggie out" - ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I just read an article on slate.com that implied that frequent travelers can, or do, leave their freedom baggies of 3oz liquids in their suitcases through TSA checkpoints. Could this possibly be true?

As an aside, the same article said that if you use a mobile-device BP, that you can board with any group because that information doesn't appear to the GA when you scan it. Could this be true? Here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...wpisrc=flyouts

Any thoughts?

--LG
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by lg10
I just read an article on slate.com that implied that frequent travelers can, or do, leave their freedom baggies of 3oz liquids in their suitcases through TSA checkpoints. Could this possibly be true?

As an aside, the same article said that if you use a mobile-device BP, that you can board with any group because that information doesn't appear to the GA when you scan it. Could this be true? Here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...wpisrc=flyouts

Any thoughts?

--LG
I normally remember to take mine out, but I've forgotten 2 or 3 times over the past year or so and nobody said a thing.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:14 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The same article has this lovely advice:

If your [QR] code is all that’s showing, the agent won’t be able to see that you’re in the last boarding group. You’ll be able to walk right on to the plane ahead of everyone else, which means you’ll have first access to the overhead bins. Note: Mobile boarding passes aren’t accepted at all airports. Some TSA checkpoints don’t have working scanners, and I’ve seen them send passengers all the way back out to the front of the airport to print out a boarding pass. Note: Unlike most of the other advice here, this is obviously a jerk move, boarding you ahead of other passengers who are supposed to be in front of you.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I only remove mine when I have packed a couple of minis of bourbon for the trip. Those things must light up the x-ray just like they.....well, lets just say they see them.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
The same article has this lovely advice:
I've never had them not take the whole boarding pass when it was only partially visible (sticking out of my passport, not a deliberate attempt to hide anything.)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

I think the article was implying that the mobile (on phone) version omits the boarding group..?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I only remove mine when I have packed a couple of minis of bourbon for the trip. Those things must light up the x-ray just like they.....well, lets just say they see them.
Sailor Jerry rum gets through just fine
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lg10
I think the article was implying that the mobile (on phone) version omits the boarding group..?
No, the article is implying that GAs typically don't check mobile devices for the boarding group (and they are on the mobile BPs, by the way) and that the scanners don't indicate boarding group, so you could try to get away with boarding in any group if you use a mobile BP.

As for the freedom baggies, I generally leave it in my bag. I've only removed it a small handful of times when the TSA folks are explicitly announcing that they should be removed. This usually happens at smaller airports (definitely at MHK, maybe MCI, a couple others). The other 100+ flights in the last couple of years, I've left it in with no issues.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I always take it out.

I have my 'routine' to minimize last-minute fussing around. Before I get to the TDC, I have removed my shoes, put my 'checkpoint' socks on, taken my Kippie bag out, any outerwear off and stowed in my bag. As soon as I clear the TDC, ID/BP (unless they're barking to see it) go into a locked compartment of my carry-on.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
I always take it out.

I have my 'routine' to minimize last-minute fussing around. Before I get to the TDC, I have removed my shoes, put my 'checkpoint' socks on, taken my Kippie bag out, any outerwear off and stowed in my bag. As soon as I clear the TDC, ID/BP (unless they're barking to see it) go into a locked compartment of my carry-on.
I have much the same routine, including putting any outerwear, phone, etc. into my carryon. I don't like those yucky flaps touching any more of my stuff than necessary. Do you keep your checkpoint-socks, or use disposables?

To my intense irritation, I had a full bag search last time I flew (a couple of weeks ago, back from ORD). It was so invasive, particularly "I'll have to ask you not to touch your belongings" while the guy is all messing up my stuff. TG I remembered to ask him to get fresh gloves. And then once they determined that I'm not a terrorist, they send the damned thing through again, but they wouldn't let me repack it so it didn't all fit and they had to use the shoe bins (!) for some of my stuff. GRRRRRRRRRRR. At least I was on my way home, where I could handle it all.

If leaving my freedom-baggie in would make a bag search even 5% more likely, I will not do it. But if you don't have to take it out, I'd obviously rather leave it in.

On this trip, I remembered to take out my ponytail before going through security, so no one assaulted me like they did last year (grabbing my head from the back with no warning to "check" my ponytail).

--LG
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
My 'checkpoint' socks are from airline amenity kits. I put them on over bare feet/socks (depending on what kind of shoes I'm wearing that day). After the checkpoint, I take them out and stow them in a ziploc in the outside (otherwise unused) pouch of my carry-on and launder them when I get home. Any cheap, thin, compact socks would do.

My home airport used to be SEA. I went through once with disposable footies that were given out at PHX checkpoints (pre-NoS). I was told that as soon as I cleared the WTMD, I had to remove them and dispose of them right there. ???? This happened twice. Made no sense, of course, but it meant I had to walk to the belt in my bare/stocking feet on a dirty floor. I think they just had a problem with any pax attempt to 'challenge' their authority in any way. That's when I started the business with the 'checkpoint socks'. Obviously, I've never gotten challenged, because you're not forbidden to go through wearing socks (even two pairs, sometimes!).

The biggest nuisance about the kippie bag is having to re-consolidate at the beginning and end of each trip. Some of the items go in my toiletry kit, others are always with me (eye drops, hand wash gel, sunblock).
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chollie
The biggest nuisance about the kippie bag is having to re-consolidate at the beginning and end of each trip. Some of the items go in my toiletry kit, others are always with me (eye drops, hand wash gel, sunblock).
I have small liquid containers here and there and have never been challenged, including hotel lotions (sometimes more than one), hand sanitizer, eye drops, lip balm... These never go in my baggy and have never raised an eyebrow in 100+ flights (US and non-US).
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
I haven't taken my bag out in years.

No, scratch that.

I haven't actually used a freedom baggie in years. YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG, Krisflyer
Haha freedom baggie, what a fantastic name for it!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillI
Haha freedom baggie, what a fantastic name for it!
I wish I could take credit for it, but it's been FT slang since they were imposed, I believe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.