PBI- Showing boarding passes

Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
PBI- Showing boarding passes

I was flying out of PBI this morning and was surprised when TSA said we would also have to show boarding passes before being screened and to keep tickets out. I have not had to do that in several years. Is this just a policy at PBI. TSA alrady checks for boarding passes before you get in line for screening less then 20 feet away.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might be related to the heightend security posture being taken the last couple of days.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Might be related to the heightend security posture being taken the last couple of days.
No, they switched to this a few months back. Have absolutely no idea why.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
There are stories here on FTabout TSOs checking ID and BP up to times in less than 20 feet, between the TDC and the scanner belt.

IMHO, Its nothing but deliberate makework to justify overstating and bloated budgets.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
EWR C3 checkpoint has been barking for pax to keep BPs in hand as they go through the scanners (which would seem to contradict current SOP), but you can circumvent this easily by simply saying your BP is on your phone.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: TSA
It could have to do with secondary screening, I have seen that before, where there is no designated secondary lane, it is a way of communicating the need for secondary screening to the individual operating the AIT/WTMD. It is an older method of communicating the message, but still in use from time to time.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
It could have to do with secondary screening, I have seen that before, where there is no designated secondary lane, it is a way of communicating the need for secondary screening to the individual operating the AIT/WTMD. It is an older method of communicating the message, but still in use from time to time.
So the unintelligible scribblings do have a purpose? I realize they have to be unintelligible so TSA screeners can understand them.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:23 am

*facepalm* It didn't even occur to me till I saw both threads next to each other in the forum, but this is probably related the huge, embarassing false alarm they had at PBI a few days ago, in which a beeping alarm clock inside an unattended bag prompted a 2-hour terminal dump and a full bomb squad response, delaying multiple flights:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ird-level.html

See, we had a pretty big scare a few days ago, and out of An Abundance Of Caution, we're going to crack down on a bunch of people who had absolutely nothing to do with it so we can cover up our embarassment at having evactuated the terminal and turned out the bomb squad over a beeping travel alarm clock. See Something Say Something!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
*facepalm* It didn't even occur to me till I saw both threads next to each other in the forum, but this is probably related the huge, embarassing false alarm they had at PBI a few days ago, in which a beeping alarm clock inside an unattended bag prompted a 2-hour terminal dump and a full bomb squad response, delaying multiple flights:

See, we had a pretty big scare a few days ago, and out of An Abundance Of Caution, we're going to crack down on a bunch of people who had absolutely nothing to do with it so we can cover up our embarassment at having evactuated the terminal and turned out the bomb squad over a beeping travel alarm clock. See Something Say Something!
It does seem as if each time there is an incident that makes the TSA look even more foolish, the folks transiting the airport at which the foolishness occurred are made to pay a price.

IIRC, it happened at Sea-Tac within the last couple of weeks. Terminal shut down for some reason and then the passengers "paid" by having to endure even more ridiculous procedures.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
See Something Say Something![/i]
Or in the case of the alarm clock, Hear Something, Say Something.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
It does seem as if each time there is an incident that makes the TSA look even more foolish, the folks transiting the airport at which the foolishness occurred are made to pay a price.

IIRC, it happened at Sea-Tac within the last couple of weeks. Terminal shut down for some reason and then the passengers "paid" by having to endure even more ridiculous procedures.
The whole TSA was built on this very knee-jerk reactionism. Par for the course.

I'm just waiting for the incident involving pre-board passengers, that way TSA is forced to re-assess their reactionism and ask those pre-board folks for ID too.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver

That might explain PBI, but what about EWR...?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Critic
That might explain PBI, but what about EWR...?
Maybe PBI put out a memo on the incident...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So the unintelligible scribblings do have a purpose? I realize they have to be unintelligible so TSA screeners can understand them.
What would happen if I slipped the BP with the unintelligible scribblings into my pocket and pulled out the duplicate BP that I travel with (in case the first one should get misplaced)?

Mike
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Critic
EWR C3 checkpoint has been barking for pax to keep BPs in hand as they go through the scanners (which would seem to contradict current SOP), but you can circumvent this easily by simply saying your BP is on your phone.
This has been my experience in EWR as well. No one seems to care if you really don't have the paper boarding pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.