Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Using NEXUS kiosk to enter the US requires the blue paper customs declaration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC

I flew out of YVR yesterday. Security (CTSA) has a special line for GE and NEXUS cardholders - must have card to show. The line is shorter but isn't like the TSA Pre-check and still requires laptop/liquids/shoes/belt. Canada requires showing BP to screener and takes forever to screen.

At the GE NEXUS US CBP Pre-screen there are 2 sets of kiosks, two marked NEXUS and two marked GE. The NEXUS doesn't require a passport - just iris scan. The machine asks 4 questions.

The problem is when one gets to the CBP agent. If you use the NEXUS machine you must have a blue declaration card and show your passport. The info on the automated passport machine info doesn't address the and the CBP agent knew nothing about anything Canadian.

If I had used the GE machine - which prints a photo - I wouldn't have to taken the extra time to fill out a blue card and wait in line again. Supposedly that machine asks more questions, however the NEXUS machine asked the same questions at the previous use I had at LAX. Any questions about the kiosks evoked a Sargent Schultz (Hogan's Heroes) response "I know nothing, nothing".

Bottom line - use the GE kiosk to avoid problems.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
This is not unique to YVR.

Using Nexus to enter the USA has always required the 'blue card' to be filled out, whether you're at YVR, YYZ or YWherever. When you received your Nexus card you should have been informed of this.

YVR is my home airport. When I fly I fill out a blue card a day or two before. That way, if GE is out of order I can just slide over and use Nexus. If GE is working the card just stays in my bag, as it's not needed.

As for CATSA, I find the queues move much faster than they do with the TSA. As for shoes & belts, blame the USA for that one - The US govt. requires that of CATSA. If you Canada domestic or Canada international, the shoes and belt can stay on.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gglave
This is not unique to YVR.

Using Nexus to enter the USA has always required the 'blue card' to be filled out, whether you're at YVR, YYZ or YWherever. When you received your Nexus card you should have been informed of this.

YVR is my home airport. When I fly I fill out a blue card a day or two before. That way, if GE is out of order I can just slide over and use Nexus. If GE is working the card just stays in my bag, as it's not needed.

As for CATSA, I find the queues move much faster than they do with the TSA. As for shoes & belts, blame the USA for that one - The US govt. requires that of CATSA. If you Canada domestic or Canada international, the shoes and belt can stay on.
Yes but NOT faster than Pre-check.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:40 pm

Does YVR still have NEXUS kiosks for US preclearance? I wonder why YYZ got rid of them then. I thought they would have gone all GE for preclearance.

On a side note.. Where does one get a stack of blue declaration cards?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:05 am
Original Poster

YVR had the NEXUS machines at the US pre clearance as of yesterday. YVR had stacks of the by the check-in kiosks near the ticket counter - easy to pick up a big wad of them.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by puddinhead
YVR had the NEXUS machines at the US pre clearance as of yesterday. YVR had stacks of the by the check-in kiosks near the ticket counter - easy to pick up a big wad of them.
Old thread, but YVR no longer has NEXUS at the US pre clearance, just GE and now lots of automated passport machines. The GE kiosks have been moved so you go to the far left now instead of the far right.

Also, on coming into YVR, you need your NEXUS card to slide into the machine before doing the iris scan. I wasn't expecting this on a recent trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.