TSA to open PreCheck to all for a fee

Subscribe
Discuss.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...polis/2568101/
Extortion.
Quote: Extortion.
For some time I've been describing it with the kinder and gentler Baksheesh. I won't quibble with your description, however.
Quote: For some time I've been describing it with the kinder and gentler Baksheesh. I won't quibble with your description, however.
Baksheesh makes things go more smoothly.

$85 to possibly not be groped, photoed in the nude is more akin to the bribe/"fine" one might have to pay the Policía in certain cities to avoid being arrested. Or to Tony Soprano (RIP) so that your health remains pristine.
I already have Nexus but seldom fly a Pre-Check airline. Will I need to pony up another $85?
I have NEXUS and top tier elite status on 2 PreCheck airlines - I haven't gotten LLL'd in over a year.
Quote: I already have Nexus but seldom fly a Pre-Check airline. Will I need to pony up another $85?
No. Nexus/SENTRI/GE are still going to be included.
One of the attractions is a smaller line.

Only benefit I see here is that I'd rather see these clowns expand it then shutter it. So guess having the unwashed masses invited to the program is a consequence of having it stay around.
So we get to pay "extra" to get the type of screening we ALL should be getting anyway.

If enough people sign up for this, it seems to me we can significantly downsize the number of blue shirts at our airports and give them their walking papers.

And if you /pay/ for the privilege, are you guaranteed PreCheck, as opposed to it being random now?
Quote: So we get to pay "extra" to get the type of screening we ALL should be getting anyway.

If enough people sign up for this, it seems to me we can significantly downsize the number of blue shirts at our airports and give them their walking papers.

And if you /pay/ for the privilege, are you guaranteed PreCheck, as opposed to it being random now?
PreCheck LLL screening outcomes are not going to be guaranteed by this.
Note this does not state that it will be expanded to all:

Quote:
"This initiative will increase the number of U.S. citizens eligible to receive expedited screening, through TSA Pre-check," Pistole said.
It is still for US citizens only. Meanwhile, foreigners will continue not even to have the choice of non-harassment upon payment. I truly fear the day in which 90% of all travelers will qualify for expedited screening in the US while I will be sent off to a corner for the extra-special suspicious person screening for the crime of travelling with a scary European passport as ID.

Of course this harassment is only valid for flights within or leaving the US. I will continue to be able to fly into or over the US without being scoped, groped, removing shoes, etc.

Sigh.
Quote: One of the attractions is a smaller line.

Only benefit I see here is that I'd rather see these clowns expand it then shutter it. So guess having the unwashed masses invited to the program is a consequence of having it stay around.
I'd be inclined to agree, but one of my favourite benefits is the shorter lines.
Quote: Note this does not state that it will be expanded to all:

It is still for US citizens only.
Whether that is the intent or not, the practice is a bit different at least. Even now, some non-US citizens are getting PreCheck LLL screening outcomes indicated by way of their boarding passes.
Doesn't the US Citizen requirement only apply to those acquiring Precheck by way of Nexus/GE membership? (i.e. as opposed to airline elite status)
Quote: Doesn't the US Citizen requirement only apply to those acquiring Precheck by way of Nexus/GE membership? (i.e. as opposed to airline elite status)
Nope. From the TSA PreCheck application page: "The TSA Pre✓™ fee-based application process will allow U.S. citizens the opportunity to apply for expedited screening without a passport."

Technically, PreCheck is for US citizens (and Canadian citizens with NEXUS).