Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
TSA to open PreCheck to all for a fee

Discuss.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...polis/2568101/
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Extortion.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Extortion.
For some time I've been describing it with the kinder and gentler Baksheesh. I won't quibble with your description, however.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Fredd
For some time I've been describing it with the kinder and gentler Baksheesh. I won't quibble with your description, however.
Baksheesh makes things go more smoothly.

$85 to possibly not be groped, photoed in the nude is more akin to the bribe/"fine" one might have to pay the Policía in certain cities to avoid being arrested. Or to Tony Soprano (RIP) so that your health remains pristine.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I already have Nexus but seldom fly a Pre-Check airline. Will I need to pony up another $85?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I have NEXUS and top tier elite status on 2 PreCheck airlines - I haven't gotten LLL'd in over a year.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I already have Nexus but seldom fly a Pre-Check airline. Will I need to pony up another $85?
No. Nexus/SENTRI/GE are still going to be included.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:13 pm

One of the attractions is a smaller line.

Only benefit I see here is that I'd rather see these clowns expand it then shutter it. So guess having the unwashed masses invited to the program is a consequence of having it stay around.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:04 pm

So we get to pay "extra" to get the type of screening we ALL should be getting anyway.

If enough people sign up for this, it seems to me we can significantly downsize the number of blue shirts at our airports and give them their walking papers.

And if you /pay/ for the privilege, are you guaranteed PreCheck, as opposed to it being random now?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JObeth66
So we get to pay "extra" to get the type of screening we ALL should be getting anyway.

If enough people sign up for this, it seems to me we can significantly downsize the number of blue shirts at our airports and give them their walking papers.

And if you /pay/ for the privilege, are you guaranteed PreCheck, as opposed to it being random now?
PreCheck LLL screening outcomes are not going to be guaranteed by this.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:04 pm

Note this does not state that it will be expanded to all:

"This initiative will increase the number of U.S. citizens eligible to receive expedited screening, through TSA Pre-check," Pistole said.
It is still for US citizens only. Meanwhile, foreigners will continue not even to have the choice of non-harassment upon payment. I truly fear the day in which 90% of all travelers will qualify for expedited screening in the US while I will be sent off to a corner for the extra-special suspicious person screening for the crime of travelling with a scary European passport as ID.

Of course this harassment is only valid for flights within or leaving the US. I will continue to be able to fly into or over the US without being scoped, groped, removing shoes, etc.

Sigh.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
One of the attractions is a smaller line.

Only benefit I see here is that I'd rather see these clowns expand it then shutter it. So guess having the unwashed masses invited to the program is a consequence of having it stay around.
I'd be inclined to agree, but one of my favourite benefits is the shorter lines.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:51 am Reason: derogatory
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Note this does not state that it will be expanded to all:

It is still for US citizens only.
Whether that is the intent or not, the practice is a bit different at least. Even now, some non-US citizens are getting PreCheck LLL screening outcomes indicated by way of their boarding passes.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Doesn't the US Citizen requirement only apply to those acquiring Precheck by way of Nexus/GE membership? (i.e. as opposed to airline elite status)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Doesn't the US Citizen requirement only apply to those acquiring Precheck by way of Nexus/GE membership? (i.e. as opposed to airline elite status)
Nope. From the TSA PreCheck application page: "The TSA Pre✓™ fee-based application process will allow U.S. citizens the opportunity to apply for expedited screening without a passport."

Technically, PreCheck is for US citizens (and Canadian citizens with NEXUS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.