Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA to open PreCheck to all for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
There is anecdotal evidence non-US citizens have gotten PreCheck, but it seems all have US addresses, which is not my case...
I'm a non-US citizen living outside the USA signed up and have pre-check using a non-US address. Get a NEXUS card. Cheaper than the $85 they want for PreCheck.,
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:46 pm

There isn't a Nexus site convenient to me, or most of the places I fly. If this $85 was /guaranteed/to get me in PreCheck every time I fly? I'd consider it. If it's "Pay $85 and you might get selected", then no, I won't.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JObeth66
There isn't a Nexus site convenient to me, or most of the places I fly. If this $85 was /guaranteed/to get me in PreCheck every time I fly? I'd consider it. If it's "Pay $85 and you might get selected", then no, I won't.
You should apply for Global Entry. For just fifteen more dollars than the PreCheck application, you will also get expedited processing when entering the U.S. PreCheck selection for GE members is usually near 100 percent.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:15 pm

I don't fly internationally that often (though I am going to Germany in September), I don't know if GE is worth it if I'm not guaranteed PreCheck. That's what I'm looking for. If this program will guarantee me PreCheck (esp. out of PHL) then I'd be interested.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by pharmalady
Casual flyers are already thrifty enough, choosing the cheapest seats they can find. How many of them will really be willing to pony up the $85, go through the process with the interview six to twelve weeks out and meet all of the requirements? Most of them don't even like paying for bags (not that anyone does), but to charge them more for pre-screening a few times a year or once in a blue moon isn't really enticing to spend the money. They would rather put that down the slot machine in their "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation to Las Vegas.
Jeez, you really let your "statuses" go straight to your head, don't you?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by pharmalady
Casual flyers are already thrifty enough, choosing the cheapest seats they can find. How many of them will really be willing to pony up the $85, go through the process with the interview six to twelve weeks out and meet all of the requirements? Most of them don't even like paying for bags (not that anyone does), but to charge them more for pre-screening a few times a year or once in a blue moon isn't really enticing to spend the money. They would rather put that down the slot machine in their "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation to Las Vegas.
Originally Posted by spades097
Jeez, you really let your "statuses" go straight to your head, don't you?
Like it or not, they hit the nail right on the head. Same folks that won't pay $6-8 for IFE aren't about to plop down $85 for TSA.

The problem is the mid-tier folks on the fence about committing to Global Entry, now this opens another path.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JObeth66
I don't fly internationally that often (though I am going to Germany in September), I don't know if GE is worth it if I'm not guaranteed PreCheck. That's what I'm looking for. If this program will guarantee me PreCheck (esp. out of PHL) then I'd be interested.
Nothing will guarantee you PreCheck. This application process, like the GE process, will yield a PASS ID that you can enter into your Secure Flight profile. Chances are that, like GE, this program will yield a high percentage (95+) of PreCheck selection.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not all such persons have US addresses; some even never had US addresses. The more common a name, ironically, perhaps the more likely it works regardless of DHS's desire to discriminate based on nationality.
Where do you get the name info from? If that is true, I am truly doomed.

Originally Posted by CZBB
I'm a non-US citizen living outside the USA signed up and have pre-check using a non-US address. Get a NEXUS card. Cheaper than the $85 they want for PreCheck.,
I´m not Canadian either, so no Nexus. I´m also not Dutch, South Korean or Mexican, so GE is not an option.

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Now that they're opening this up to everyone, doesn't it make sense that now everyone will be in the Precheck line? So there goes our domestic zoom through security advantage.
Actually, if security for everyone were like PreCheck (as it should be, and is in most of the World), lines would never get long enough to annoy you (as in most of the World), and you would zoom through, as I tend to do in most of the World.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 14940674
You should apply for Global Entry. For just fifteen more dollars than the PreCheck application, you will also get expedited processing when entering the U.S. PreCheck selection for GE members is usually near 100 percent.
The percentage may have dropped for GE members as of late. I am not currently sure what has come of inquiries being made over that because some of this involves PYOB/PDF boarding passes having PreCheck indications while the mobile boarding passes for the same passengers on the same flights did not.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:52 pm

The security measures associated with letting a person travel
should occur when he applies for the passport.
As far back as the circuit court ruling in Corfield v. Coryell, 6 Fed. Cas. 546 (1823), the Supreme Court recognized freedom of movement as a fundamental Constitutional right...
This cutesy stratified pay-to-play approach toward letting some people breeze through security for a fee is unacceptable. What's next, are we going to pay cops a small fee not to frisk us or beat us as we walk down city streets? Ridiculous.

Last edited by yandosan; Jul 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by yandosan
The security measures associated with travelling should begin and end with issuing someone a passport.... This cutesy pay-to-play approach toward letting some people breeze through security for a fee is unacceptable. What's next, are we going to pay cops a small fee not to frisk us or beat us as we walk down city streets? Ridiculous.
Really, "begin and end with issuing someone a passport"? There should be no additional security measures for flights? We tried that in the 1970s, and hijackings were commonplace, even with relatively few people flying. Your Libertarian view is far outside the mainstream.

Your suggestion that paying for the background check process is somehow analagous to extortion by a cop on the beat is equally mind-bending. It's not like TSA is leaving out tip jars for the screeners.

The alternative is that all taxpayers pay for something that only a small minority have any interest in. How is a fee-for-service model not preferable? Those interested in Pre-check pay for the administrative costs, and as a result there's little to no cost passed along to the taxpayer. Everyone wins.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Better idea: Everyone gets precheck-style security until the government can show reason that they shouldn't be eligible. Then, those who aren't given pre-check should be given $85.

Mike
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Really, "begin and end with issuing someone a passport"? There should be no additional security measures for flights? We tried that in the 1970s, and hijackings were commonplace, even with relatively few people flying. Your Libertarian view is far outside the mainstream.
I disagree. The airlines and the airports should chose whatever security measures they deem appropriate (as long as civil rights aren't violated). The federal government should have no say in the matter.

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Your suggestion that paying for the background check process is somehow analagous to extortion by a cop on the beat is equally mind-bending. It's not like TSA is leaving out tip jars for the screeners.
It's the very definition of extortion. Offering reduced harassment for cash + valuable personal information is a shakedown. Tony Soprano (RIP) would be proud.

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 22, 2013 at 4:03 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Better idea: Everyone gets precheck-style security until the government can show reason that they shouldn't be eligible. Then, those who aren't given pre-check should be given $85.

Mike
^^
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:27 pm

background

I'm wondering what the background check will include. I was turned down for GE because of a small but dumb decision in college. So will the pre background check disqualify you for that, or will it look for those who would pose a safety risk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.