Search

TSA to open PreCheck to all for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dustman81
Nope. From the TSA PreCheck application page: "The TSA Pre✓™ fee-based application process will allow U.S. citizens the opportunity to apply for expedited screening without a passport."

Technically, PreCheck is for US citizens (and Canadian citizens with NEXUS).
As a practical matter, technically it has worked for non-US (and non-Canadian) citizens too. Whether that was intended or not by the TSA, it just adds to the ways in which the TSA can be consistently inconsistent.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:54 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

It says the "fee-based application process" is open only to US citizens. It doesn't say that non-citizens can't get in by other means (like being recommended by the airline).
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: Oz Diamond,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No. Nexus/SENTRI/GE are still going to be included.
I have Nexus and am a sxcking 1P with United but I was never cleared for pre-check.
As far as I can tell, either I am not yet an US citizen or it might due to a space in my first name so the name check between airline ticket and TSA will never be the same. The airline won’t add space between my first name and GOES system does not allow me to remove the space. So I am stuck. I hope they issue a TSA pre-check number to all GE/Nexus/SENTRI members. I really hate to pay another fee to evil TSA for the precheck.

Polar Bear
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I have Nexus and am a sxcking 1P with United but I was never cleared for pre-check.
As far as I can tell, either I am not yet an US citizen or it might due to a space in my first name so the name check between airline ticket and TSA will never be the same. The airline won’t add space between my first name and GOES system does not allow me to remove the space. So I am stuck. I hope they issue a TSA pre-check number to all GE/Nexus/SENTRI members. I really hate to pay another fee to evil TSA for the precheck.

Polar Bear
Governmental confusion about citizenship may be a factor in not getting PreCheck.

At least Canadian NEXUS are included:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...-nexus-members

"The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today announced the inclusion of Canadian NEXUS members in TSA Pre✓™ as part of the Beyond the Border Action Plan. Beginning November 15, Canadian citizens traveling domestically in the United States who are members of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) NEXUS program are eligible to participate and may receive expedited screening at participating U.S. airports."

As a practical matter, it now applies also to Canadian NEXUS users flying internationally from the US. The relevant thing to get it to work (with PreCheck carriers at PreCheck airports) is to get the known traveler number into the proper field with the airline and to not have too little of an "exact" name match.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:42 am

Whether that is the intent or not, the practice is a bit different at least. Even now, some non-US citizens are getting PreCheck LLL screening outcomes indicated by way of their boarding passes.
There is anecdotal evidence non-US citizens have gotten PreCheck, but it seems all have US addresses, which is not my case...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE

Polar Bear
As a Nexus member, you already have a "Precheck" number. It's the PASS ID on the back of your Nexus card. You need to make sure that your name and number in your SecureFlight info matches exactly to GOES.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
There is anecdotal evidence non-US citizens have gotten PreCheck, but it seems all have US addresses, which is not my case...
Not all such persons have US addresses; some even never had US addresses. The more common a name, ironically, perhaps the more likely it works regardless of DHS's desire to discriminate based on nationality.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:05 am
Suspended

As a Nexus member, you already have a "Precheck" number. It's the PASS ID on the back of your Nexus card. You need to make sure that your name and number in your SecureFlight info matches exactly to GOES.
"Exactly" need not be exact, but it may help.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have yet to see anything close to a line at the IAD pre check - it's walk up, present BP, proceed to conveyor belt, drop bags, walk through WMD, grab bags, and I'm off. You could probably triple the number of people with pre check, and it wouldn't cause appreciable crowding.

Most casual flyers aren't going to shell out the $100 for qualification.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 am Reason: reference to deleted post
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: Oz Diamond,
The relevant thing to get it to work (with PreCheck carriers at PreCheck airports) is to get the known traveler number into the proper field with the airline and to not have too little of an "exact" name match.
I have checked every place where I can put my “PASSID/Nexus member ID” in United.com. I know there is one for the profile and also every reservation record. I have also called United reservation 3-7days before the departure time to verify my name, my birth day and my passid are associated with my reservation every time. BUT I have not cleared for any pre-check yet. I studied really hard on Flyertalk so the only two reasons, I can come up with this, are I am not US citizen or the space between my first name. I have asked for help in other thread but nobody knows why. I was really annoyed but what can I do.

Polar Bear
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta, United
Here is the PR:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...tsa-precheck-0

Frankly it is BS. I have Pre✓™ via the airline. The TSA Pre✓™ application program requires a background check and fingerprints. Yeah, the airline has a bunch of the same info for a background check. But I sure as !@#$ did not have to give them fingerprints.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 20, 2013 at 9:20 am
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
Extortion.
Sounds like GE light. If the same process is applied as to GE, why bother? Because it won't require the person to have a passport to apply?

How much traveling must a kettle do before they would find this worthwhile?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
... are I am not US citizen or the space between my first name.
That will be it - even with Global Entry you don't get PreCheck I am afraid.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Sounds like GE light. If the same process is applied as to GE, why bother? Because it won't require the person to have a passport to apply?
It won't be the same process, because it won't involve CBP, but simply TSA. It will by necessity be less intrusive, because they won't have to take into account the possibility that you might sneak something through customs, but simply whether you're a threat to safety. That's a much smaller percentage of people.

As a concrete example, my partner and I were quickly approved for Clear but both denied Global Entry. Still can't figure out why, as neither of us has ever had the slightest run-in with the law or CBP, but that's covered in another thread. I fly maybe 20 times a year, but I loathe security lines and will gladly pony up the $85.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Markie
That will be it - even with Global Entry you don't get PreCheck I am afraid.
If he's a Canadian citizen, he should be getting Pre with his Nexus membership.

Last edited by dustman81; Jul 20, 2013 at 10:18 am Reason: Clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.