Wiki Posts
Search

"I'm 87 years old!"

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by NoMiddleSeat
TSA interactions I tend to set bar very low and have only had a couple experiences where I felt a need to escalate.
I immediately stop communication with the TSO and take out a paper and pen and write their name down, after screeening I'll discuss the situation with the supervisor and while doing so taking their name and notes (let's them know you are serious) I tell them I will be following up with the FSD and do so - it isn't an empty statement.
Its a lot of effort and it isn't for everyone but for me its something I feel is important to prevent abuse or overreach.
Two problems with that.

1) I actually asked for a comment card to provide positive feedback on a TSO a few years ago. Unfortunately, I was too focused on the process to ask for her name until it was over and she'd moved away. I went through the almost 30 minute process of waiting while someone was summoned to get someone to get a comment card. I explained what I wanted for. In the end, when I pointed her out and asked the supervisor for her name, I was told to fill in the card without her name and leave it with him so he could add the name and submit the card.

I did not do that, in part because I didn't trust him to put the right name on the card.

I have rarely, if ever, been able to read a TSOs name from the tag, and when I've asked, they have always refused to supply a name or even employee ID # of some sort, and always either turn away or flip the badge over.

2) if your experience is post-NoS or grope, you won't have a pen and paper on you...
Old May 22, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: TSA
Should have called for a supervisor.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
If you are responding to my post, I did.

Well, actually, I stopped a TSO and asked for a comment card. He asked why. I pointed out the TSO I wanted to praise. Then he said to wait, he'd have to get a supervisor. Supervisor came, I explained why I wanted a comment card, pointed the TSO out. He took my BP/ID and left to get the comment card. (All of this took time - altogether, almost 30 minutes). When he came back with my BP/ID and the comment card, he told me to fill it out and give it to him. I asked for the TSOs name or identifying info. He said to fill out the card, leave that field blank, give it to him and he would fill the TSOs name in.

I left. By this time, I didn't have any more time to spend at the checkpoint and I honestly didn't trust him. It seemed so shady to me - how did I know he wasn't going to read the comment card and either fill in some other TSOs name (or even his own) or, if I had lied and wanted it to complain, just throw it away.

Even if I had time to spare, put yourself in my shoes: what do you think his reaction would have been if I had asked for a higher up supervisor? I didn't want to risk the situation turning ugly and possibly delaying me until I missed my flight. He had copies of my BP/ID you know - required to get a comment card.

So a TSO who I thought did an outstanding job did not get deserved praise.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
if you are responding to my post, i did.

Well, actually, i stopped a tso and asked for a comment card. He asked why. I pointed out the tso i wanted to praise. then he said to wait, he'd have to get a supervisor. Supervisor came, i explained why i wanted a comment card, pointed the tso out. He took my bp/id and left to get the comment card. (all of this took time - altogether, almost 30 minutes). When he came back with my bp/id and the comment card, he told me to fill it out and give it to him. I asked for the tsos name or identifying info. He said to fill out the card, leave that field blank, give it to him and he would fill the tsos name in.

I left. By this time, i didn't have any more time to spend at the checkpoint and i honestly didn't trust him. It seemed so shady to me - how did i know he wasn't going to read the comment card and either fill in some other tsos name (or even his own) or, if i had lied and wanted it to complain, just throw it away.

Even if i had time to spare, put yourself in my shoes: What do you think his reaction would have been if i had asked for a higher up supervisor? I didn't want to risk the situation turning ugly and possibly delaying me until i missed my flight. He had copies of my bp/id you know - required to get a comment card.

So a tso who i thought did an outstanding job did not get deserved praise.
i am sorry that happened.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
He had copies of my BP/ID you know - required to get a comment card.
Do we even need to comment on this?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
Why? If the person is part of TSA there is about a 99% chance they are just as corrupt as the frontline screeners.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:57 pm

Had a similar situation at BOS earlier this year. No joy.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Had a similar situation at BOS earlier this year. No joy.
That age thing is a double loophole.

Kids under 18 aren't required to have photo ID and kids under 12 aren't required to remove shoes. However, whether or not they are actually under 18 or under 12 is entirely up to the TSOs judgment..unless, of course, they provide the ID that they are not required to have....

I am curious about the reports (multiple) of elderly folks being told to remove shoes based on the screener's judgment of age. These are adults who are required to have ID. Why (well, I think we know why), if a screener really thinks a pax is lying about his/her age, doesn't the screener offer to resolve the issue by viewing the DOB on the ID?

eyecue, is this a 'training' issue?
Old May 22, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
That age thing is a double loophole.

Kids under 18 aren't required to have photo ID and kids under 12 aren't required to remove shoes. However, whether or not they are actually under 18 or under 12 is entirely up to the TSOs judgment..unless, of course, they provide the ID that they are not required to have....
Catch-22 at its fullest
Old May 22, 2013, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I recently booked an award ticket for a friend's 89 year old mom so she could attend her sister's funeral. As I knew she didn't fly often, I coached her extensively on how to handle dealing with the airline (fortunately, due to UA's bugs/features with award tickets, she inherited my 1K status) and the TSA.

Amazingly, the IAD TSA did allow her to keep her shoes on. ^
Old May 23, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I really wish someone (Say a Drill SGT or DI) would get in one of these punks faces and gives a dose of there own Bull Cookies. I'd bet a Benjamin the clerk would be crying or soil themselves in short order.

If it was me I would be very tempted to yell at the clerk (Louder then the clerk and enough for the whole terminal to hear) " ... is wrong with you? Do you have no respect for your elders? Do you think yelling louder at someone is going to accomplish anything? Just makes you look like an unprofessional, poorly trained idiot and a bully?"

Yet again TSA proves its incompetence and that its hiring standards are absymal. This whole sad experiment needs to be terminated as DD Daschle was wrong when he stated "To professionalize you must federalize"!
Old May 23, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
I really wish someone (Say a Drill SGT or DI) would get in one of these punks faces and gives a dose of there own Bull Cookies. I'd bet a Benjamin the clerk would be crying or soil themselves in short order.

If it was me I would be very tempted to yell at the clerk (Louder then the clerk and enough for the whole terminal to hear) " ... is wrong with you? Do you have no respect for your elders? Do you think yelling louder at someone is going to accomplish anything? Just makes you look like an unprofessional, poorly trained idiot and a bully?"

Yet again TSA proves its incompetence and that its hiring standards are absymal. This whole sad experiment needs to be terminated as DD Daschle was wrong when he stated "To professionalize you must federalize"!
Highlighting above mine.

They are TSA employees.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Highlighting above mine.

They are TSA employees.
Behind (or above) every underperforming or rude or unprofessional TSO is someone a level higher up who is enabling the behavior. And all too often, co-workers along side who are witnessing and accepting such behavior.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why? If the person is part of TSA there is about a 99% chance they are just as corrupt as the frontline screeners.
Opinion...
Old May 23, 2013, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Behind (or above) every underperforming or rude or unprofessional TSO is someone a level higher up who is enabling the behavior. And all too often, co-workers along side who are witnessing and accepting such behavior.
Indeed. Unfortunately, the real enablers of all this junk in the name of "security" are the general public who have not really cared to realize how they are being subjugated or welcome this "tough" "security" anyway.

The country has gotten the TSA which the country deserves, and it is very unfortunate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.