Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by ords
At least here in ORD, it's my understanding you'll have 2 officer's working the kiosks (16 on one side, 14 on the other). There's no formal questioning from what I was told, other than for the officer to verify the passport and receipt match up. (sure something might raise a red flag, but the issue here is to move U.S citizens quickly)

There's been little resistance from the Unions, if any. Less stress, actual help to address the insane processing times throughout the U.S and the fact CBP in Washington wants this to be successful.

Eventually this will be expanded to Vistors that enter the U.S.

FYI, these machines aren't cheap, but worth the cost when you start looking at misconnect cost for the airlines.
Will this also work with perm. residents with chipped passports from their home country? What about someone with an advance parole document awaiting decision from USCIS?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:08 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
There are still valid US passports without the chip.
I have a valid passport - good through April 2016 - without a chip.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:08 am

The reason these were installed as it shifts U.S Citizens into a faster moving system of processing and opening up immigration officers to non U.S. lanes. This worked as intended and has reduced processing times dramatically.

The 1st software upgrade will make it possible for Canadian passport holders to use the kiosks with the 2nd software upgrade will make it possible for all passport holders to use them.

One point, no taxpayer funds were used for the purchase, installation or maintaining of these kiosks, this was all self funded locally by the airlines here in Chicago.

Other airports/airlines within the U.S will have to decide if it's worth the cost or not to install.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cscube
At the end of the series of questions, the machine will generate a receipt with your photo on it - yes, the extra step is you'll have to take a photo of yourself
I'd never really consciously thought about this - at a traditional immigration desk for returning US citizens, is the officer also taking a picture and keeping it on file in their system? I guess I had assumed it was just a visual comparison but then again, why would the US govt give up an opportunity to collect data on soneone?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:57 pm

Doesn't mean that the photo is kept - but, it probably is.

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I'd never really consciously thought about this - at a traditional immigration desk for returning US citizens, is the officer also taking a picture and keeping it on file in their system? I guess I had assumed it was just a visual comparison but then again, why would the US govt give up an opportunity to collect data on soneone?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
U.S. citizens are not photographed by officers stationed at desks.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by 14940674
U.S. citizens are not photographed by officers stationed at desks.
They are not supposed to, but do at times.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Not a big drama (there were a lot of SmartGate lines and the others were moving quickly) but it was clear that the whole "automated" aspect was confusing to the Americans.
Yes, but the SmartGate process is a little confusing if you haven't done it before. I had watched the instructional video a few times, but it still didn't mean I was any more functional after a 15-hour flight into SYD.

I was searching for the first ticket kiosk available - there was one before the duty free store. I also saw a bank of them right before the SmartGate portals with people waiting to get tickets there too.

While the system is automated, I don't understand the extra step of having to get a validation ticket. I know you hand it to the agents at the quarantine exit as sort of a receipt, but it seems like an unnecessary extra step.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Majuki
Yes, but the SmartGate process is a little confusing if you haven't done it before. I had watched the instructional video a few times, but it still didn't mean I was any more functional after a 15-hour flight into SYD.

I was searching for the first ticket kiosk available - there was one before the duty free store. I also saw a bank of them right before the SmartGate portals with people waiting to get tickets there too.

While the system is automated, I don't understand the extra step of having to get a validation ticket. I know you hand it to the agents at the quarantine exit as sort of a receipt, but it seems like an unnecessary extra step.
So everyone understands what we're talking about, there are three transactions:
1. At kiosk, scan passport, answer question(s), get paper ticket.
2. At SmartGate, submit ticket, get photographed; photo is matched to data on paper ticket.
3. At quarantine, hand ticket back to agent.

I assume by "extra step" you mean getting a ticket from the kiosk and then submitting the ticket at the SmartGate, instead of just scanning your passport at the SmartGate. I guess the benefit is that people who don't have an RFID passport or who otherwise can't use SmartGate are making their mistakes at the kiosk, where it's easy for other passengers to move around them to another kiosk, and where the passenger in question can then leave the kiosk and join the "regular" line in Customs. Otherwise the SmartGate line would be slowed down by people having problems, and the person who finds they can't use SmartGate would have to extract themselves from the front of the line and go to the back of a regular line. Just a guess.

I agree that handing the ticket to the agent at quarantine doesn't seem all that useful, but perhaps they get recycled that way, instead of ending up as litter or in the trash.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
SmartGate - what a misnomer
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
So everyone understands what we're talking about, there are three transactions
I agree with your assessment, but it's functionally no different than the X slip from a GE kiosk telling you to report to passport control. My argument was that the process with SmartGate doesn't have any fewer steps with the exception of that fact that one doesn't talk to anyone if SmartGate can do the photo comparison. It's similar for GE most of the time, but apparently not for the recently installed non-GE kiosks.

Furthermore, I would say the customs process is probably the most visible in the US and Australia because it's another formal step before you exit the baggage claim area. Contrast this with EU airports where you self select the green, red, or blue lane and many people don't even realize they're going through customs.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:46 am

Border questioning

A little off topic, but just curious what is the purpose of questioning US citizens at a port of entry? As a US citizen I have the right of entry to the US. What are they going to do? Deny me entry?

One of the reasons I got GE is that I was sick and tired of explaining myself to surly CBP officers. I do not have to explain where I was and how long I was out. I can be out for 50 years and as a US citizen I still have the right of entry regardless of what some uniformed officer thinks. The last couple of times entering via GE lanes I noticed the officers were trying to ask questions again - I just resort to responding in monosyllabic sentences - "yes", "no", "personal", "business". The US has become such a police state - it is sickening. Everyone is deemed guilty till proven otherwise when it comes to CBP.

Last edited by TuffPuppy; Jul 30, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:58 am

Because they have a uniquely American fascist police mentality. Other western countries do not subject their returning citizens to any questioning at all.

My guess would be that the justification might be that the passport guy is also performing a customs function as well - that, depending upon your answers, you might be sent to secondary customs inspection.

Of course other Western countries do not ask every returning citizen customs questions either, but have a red line/green line system and pull people out for questioning at random or based on observable characteristics.

It's called American exceptionalism.

(having said/ranted all of that, I am not sure what Canada and Australia do re questioning and immigration/customs for returning citizens.)

Originally Posted by TuffPuppy
A little off topic, but just curious what is the purpose of questioning US citizens at a port of entry? As a US citizen I have the right of entry to the US. What are they going to do? Deny me entry?

One of the reasons I got GE is that I was sick and tired of explaining myself to surly CBP officers. I do not have to explain where I was and how long I was out. I can be out for 50 years and as a US citizen I still have the right of entry regardless of what some uniformed officer thinks. The last couple of times entering via GE lanes I noticed the officers were trying to ask questions again - I just resort to responding in monosyllabic sentences - "yes", "no", "personal", "business". The US has become such a police state - it is sickening. Everyone is deemed guilty till proven otherwise when it comes to CBP.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TuffPuppy
At the US (& Canadian) border, immigration and customs are performed by one person.

The 'questions' are customs-related to detect nervousness which might indicate you are smuggling, be it food, birds, drugs, cuban cigars or a bottle of rum.

Kind of a silly system, but there you go.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
(having said/ranted all of that, I am not sure what Canada and Australia do re questioning and immigration/customs for returning citizens.)
Can't speak for Australians, but for Canadians it's a similar experience. Although anecdotally I get the sense that it's a friendlier one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.