Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 15, 14, 1:59 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: US CBP Automated Passport Control
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: GUWonder
APC locations:

Online already -- IAH DFW MIA LAX MCO SEA JFK ORD MDW YVR YUL YYZ ATL AUS EWR DTW CLT FLL

Also on target for 2014 implementation -- MSP LAX AUH YEG

Maybe a couple airports are missing from the list, or perhaps three have to be moved from the target for 2014 and into the online already category.

Eligible persons at all APC airports: US citizens.
Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports:

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 30, 13, 12:55 pm   #61

The Opposite Extreme

In Europe the apparent inability of immigration officials to ask question of EU citizens can have strange results.

A while back I was entering the UK with my then 10 year-old son - he was travelling on a US passport, I was on an EU passport. The immigration officer therefore only asked me questions about my son - "where will he be staying", "what is the purpose of his visit", "how long will he be staying"?

A very refreshing change from the US.
BigFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 13, 1:33 am   #62

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
(having said/ranted all of that, I am not sure what Canada and Australia do re questioning and immigration/customs for returning citizens.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglave View Post
Can't speak for Australians, but for Canadians it's a similar experience. Although anecdotally I get the sense that it's a friendlier one...
Australia for returning citizens:
- Immigration: minimal questioning. SmartGate eliminates any face-to-face contact and you might need to answer one (random?) question at the kiosk. Otherwise, there might be a question regarding customs/quarantine ("I see you ticked 'yes' for food; what kind of food do you have?" "Chocolate." "Okay, have a nice day.")

- Customs: As above (for citizens and visitors). Not quite as simple as the Europe self-select red/green channels; a customs/quarantine officer directs you either to a line for bags x-ray or inspection or to the exit. Inspections are generally quick and painless.
Old Aug 3, 13, 11:15 pm   #63

Quote:
That's not quite accurate - in addition to the passport control guy who apparently is performing a customs function, after passport control there are roving customs inspectors, as well as a final chance to be secondaried by the guy at the apparent exit to whom you hand your form.
Doesn't the immigration inspector decide if you go to secondary at the customs exit? In Canada, s/he puts a number on the form. Depending on the number, the agent at the exit knows to either let you go or send you to secondary.

--

This CBP APC is for US citizens only, right?
Old Aug 4, 13, 3:46 am   #64
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
Doesn't the immigration inspector decide if you go to secondary at the customs exit? In Canada, s/he puts a number on the form. Depending on the number, the agent at the exit knows to either let you go or send you to secondary.

--

This CBP APC is for US citizens only, right?
At YVR last month on my visits, only US citizens were being directed to these kiosks.

The passport control check desk type of personnel can decide on secondary as can the people at baggage claim or the exit control just beyond baggage claim.
Old Aug 5, 13, 9:29 am   #65

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
Does the APC receipt look the same as a Global Entry receipt? And can APC users use the GE exit lanes at customs?
Hyperacusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 13, 9:47 am   #66

Location: LAS - were you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, SPG gold, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz 5 star
GE uses facial recognition and fingerprints along with passport machine readable code at bottom of the photo page. Tough to counterfeit the CPB DB info. Ticked prints a photo on it - this wasn't always that way, when the program first started no photo was printed. That was probably added to prevent a valid passport holder from giving that ticket to someone and then standing in line allowing someone to illegally enter. At LAX ere are 2 CBP officers watching the 3 kiosks and one checking the photo before continuing, but no one at YVR.

Chip not needed. NEXUS machines (Canada) use an isiris scan only - no passport or other cards/ID required to enter Canada.

Leaving Canada at YVR was another issue - I found there is a difference in kiosks.

Last edited by puddinhead; Aug 6, 13 at 9:14 am.
puddinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 13, 9:54 am   #67

Location: LAS - were you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, SPG gold, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz 5 star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
Does the APC receipt look the same as a Global Entry receipt? And can APC users use the GE exit lanes at customs?

Probably not, GE kiosks require fingerprints and facial recognition in addition to passport.
Old Aug 5, 13, 10:37 am   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
Fake biometric passports??
Biometrics are NOT stored in the passport, they are stored in the CBP database. US uses fingerprints AND facial recognition, entered during the GE interview. Canada uses iris scan and doesn't even require a passport to enter Canada (NEXUS), the eyes tell all.
Old Aug 5, 13, 10:51 am   #69

Programs: Air Canada Altitude 50K *G
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinhead View Post
GE uses facial recognition and fingerprints
I question whether or not there is facial recognition. I'm tall, and a couple of times the GE machine has taken a picture of my chin, neck and shoulders. No problems, other than a chuckle from the CBP officer.
gglave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 13, 11:36 am   #70

Quote:
In Europe the apparent inability of immigration officials to ask question of EU citizens can have strange results.

A while back I was entering the UK with my then 10 year-old son - he was travelling on a US passport, I was on an EU passport. The immigration officer therefore only asked me questions about my son - "where will he be staying", "what is the purpose of his visit", "how long will he be staying"?

A very refreshing change from the US.
In FRA just before our flight from the US, a flight from Russia had come in and I was in line behind a lot of Russians. The guy at the passport control was surprised I didn't have any visas in my passport and asked me where I was returning from. He very quickly corrected himself, apologies and told be he had just asked out of personal curiosity and I did not have to answer the question.
Alex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 13, 12:08 pm   #71

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Quote:
I question whether or not there is facial recognition. I'm tall, and a couple of times the GE machine has taken a picture of my chin, neck and shoulders. No problems, other than a chuckle from the CBP officer.
+1

The first time I entered the US (after they started with the photos), about 80% of my face wasn't even in the frame. When I asked a CBP officer about it, all he did was laugh.
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 13, 1:35 pm   #72

Quote:
1. They are different but they both use X sometimes and have some of the same sort of info. The APC receipt has a photo of pax printed on it that is taken by the kiosk.

2. Perhaps it varies.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 5, 13 at 1:40 pm.
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 13, 7:09 pm   #73

Quote:
Very interesting... Something new to try on my next trip,through the GE kiosk.
Old Aug 6, 13, 8:51 am   #74

Quote:
AT ORD they are similiar and one of the changes is it make the "X" larger on the APC receipt at the request of CBP. There's been some confusion by CBP officers at times.

I asked this yesterday and no, APC users still have to use the normal exit lines. GE can walk to the front of the lines once they've claimed their bags.
ords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 13, 5:43 am   #75

Both major airports in the Chicago area now have these APC kiosks. Midway has them too.