FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1464763-tsa-precheck-expands-expedited-screening-benefits-international-travel.html)

rwoman May 6, 2013 1:37 pm

TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

Hi All,

Despite several searches, including Google, I did not see this posted.

As a mostly international FFer, this is excellent news! Program is supposed to start May 7, 2013.

MODS, if I missed it, please merge!

Thanks,
robin

TSA Pre✓™ Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced today that beginning May 7, 2013, in addition to domestic travel, TSA Pre✓™ participants will be eligible for expedited screening on select international travel itineraries. Eligible passengers traveling on Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and US Airways will be allowed to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case, and their 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels bag in a carry-on.

Passengers flying internationally from the 40 participating TSA Pre✓™ airports may be eligible to receive expedited screening. In addition, passengers with connecting domestic flights who arrive in the United States on an international flight may use the TSA Pre✓™ lanes when going through the screening process at participating airports after being cleared by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

GUWonder May 6, 2013 1:43 pm

The excellent news would be if PreCheck were eliminated and all free Americans were provided PreCheck LLL type screening as a default right for all free Americans at TSA screening checkpoints.

The upside of the "expansion" is that somewhat fewer free US persons will be less frequently excluded from the PreCheck LLL type screening that ought to be a default right for all free US persons at TSA screening checkpoints.

DLFan2 May 6, 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 20707141)
The excellent news would be if PreCheck were eliminated and all free Americans were provided PreCheck LLL type screening as a default right for all free Americans at TSA screening checkpoints.

The upside of the "expansion" is that somewhat fewer free US persons will be less frequently excluded from the PreCheck LLL type screening that ought to be a default right for all free US persons at TSA screening checkpoints.

And who are the non-free Americans? I mean, besides those of us currently subject to the whims of the TSA?

GUWonder May 6, 2013 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2 (Post 20707204)
And who are the non-free Americans?

Those who have been convicted of a crime and have been incarcerated.

Originally Posted by DLFan2
I mean, besides those of us currently subject to the whims of the TSA?

Even the PreCheck participants are subject to the whims of the TSA. That is part of the problem with this "trusted traveler" nonsense.

EsquireFlyer May 6, 2013 3:45 pm

Nice!

Crazyhotelguy May 6, 2013 3:51 pm

Great news.....

Mad_Max_Esq May 6, 2013 4:07 pm

Just in time!

BubbaLoop May 6, 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 20707141)

Why only Americans? Why do I have to take my shoes off when connecting in your country after flying into it (and over it) without taking my shoes off?

N830MH May 6, 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 20707907)
Great news.....

I think it's great news. I'm glad to hear it. I'll definitely try. It will be so successful.

You will save the time and a less hassles.

Ari May 6, 2013 5:44 pm

Pistole told NYT that Canada, EU and Australia were the only ones who agreed; I wonder if that is the "selected" part, or if it is more than those three.

MSPeconomist May 6, 2013 5:47 pm

Why not also NZ and certain Asian countries? Also, do they literally mean EU (the customs union) and not certain other nonmember countries in Western Europe? (In particular, not all of Schengen?)

GUWonder May 6, 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop (Post 20708163)
Why only Americans? Why do I have to take my shoes off when connecting in your country after flying into it (and over it) without taking my shoes off?

I didn't say only Americans should have PreCheck LLL type screening as a default. LLL-type screening should be a default for all free persons -- that is my preference.

Unfortunately we're not even at the point where DHS treats even all free Americans equally at airports; rather we have been hit with DHS's Orwellian Animal Farmesque approach: "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than other animals".

GUWonder May 6, 2013 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20708469)
Why not also NZ and certain Asian countries? Also, do they literally mean EU (the customs union) and not certain other nonmember countries in Western Europe? (In particular, not all of Schengen?)

The EU is different than the EU customs union, as the EU customs union includes even some non-EU members.

I think Pistole is nearly as ignorant now as he was a decade ago about the various organizational arrangements involving Europe.

14940674 May 6, 2013 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 20709255)
The EU is different than the EU customs union, as the EU customs union includes even some non-EU members.

I think Pistole is nearly as ignorant now as he was a decade ago about the various organizational arrangements involving Europe.

The European Commission sets E.U.-wide security regulations. If the Commission agreed to accept PreCheck-screened passengers, Pistole would be correct in saying that a deal had been reached with the E.U.

EsquireFlyer May 6, 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20708469)
Why not also NZ and certain Asian countries?

Which Asian countries do you mean? Many Asian countries force re-screening of transit passengers anyway, so it's a moot point whether the US screening was "sufficient" by their standards or not, because they just re-screen. So then no agreement would be necessary.