Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

Old May 7, 2013, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The excellent news would be if PreCheck were eliminated and all free Americans were provided PreCheck LLL type screening...
^

Unfortunately, the land of the free only comes to those that are brave. Last time I checked, an overwhelming majority of people WANT to sacrifice their freedom for the illusion of safety.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:20 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EU is different than the EU customs union, as the EU customs union includes even some non-EU members.

I think Pistole is nearly as ignorant now as he was a decade ago about the various organizational arrangements involving Europe.
I'm sure he is plenty ignorant, but in this context, what 14940674 said.

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Which Asian countries do you mean? Many Asian countries force re-screening of transit passengers anyway, so it's a moot point whether the US screening was "sufficient" by their standards or not, because they just re-screen. So then no agreement would be necessary.
We (the US) require 100% forced re-screening for international transit passengers and set plenty of standards other countries' airport security must meet in order to be permitted to send flights here. Presumably the reverse is true even if others are less obnoxious then the TSA in the requirements they set.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:40 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Ari
We (the US) require 100% forced re-screening for international transit passengers and set plenty of standards other countries' airport security must meet in order to be permitted to send flights here. Presumably the reverse is true even if others are less obnoxious then the TSA in the requirements they set.
But nothing in this thread even says that Asian countries have stated any objections to PreCheck. So, are you presuming all four of these things? (1) that Japan, Korea, etc. which require re-screening, all set strict requirements on pax arriving from the US, (2) they have all determined that PreCheck screening does not meet those requirements, and (3) they are disallowing PreCheck for pax bound to Japan/Korea/etc., and (4) thus, the TSA announcement authorising PreCheck for int'l pax does not apply to pax going to Asia?

That's a lot to presume based on no offical statements or other evidence...
Old May 7, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5S, Starwood Gold
Maybe I missed it, but I've read the thread and the article and don't see any definitive listing of the international destinations that would qualify as the "select" destinations that will get this new benefit. Is anyone aware of a place to get more detail or is this all we have for now?

I guess I can just try the Pre-check lane regardless of destination now, but I would like to avoid the TSA "stink eye" if at all possible.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:12 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But nothing in this thread even says that Asian countries have stated any objections to PreCheck. So, are you presuming all four of these things? (1) that Japan, Korea, etc. which require re-screening, all set strict requirements on pax arriving from the US, (2) they have all determined that PreCheck screening does not meet those requirements, and (3) they are disallowing PreCheck for pax bound to Japan/Korea/etc., and (4) thus, the TSA announcement authorising PreCheck for int'l pax does not apply to pax going to Asia?

That's a lot to presume based on no offical statements or other evidence...
I'm basing my speculation on this:

Originally Posted by NY Times Q&A with Pistole
Q. When will the program cover international travel?

A. We reached an agreement with the European Union, Canada and Australia for them to accept PreCheck passengers from the United States. So starting in the near future, those people that are part of PreCheck or Global Entry will be allowed to go through PreCheck when they fly internationally.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/bu...rity.html?_r=0

Presumably there is something about Pre that requires permission from other countries. Or maybe not. But I don't think it is that big a leap given Pistole's statement.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 14940674
The European Commission sets E.U.-wide security regulations. If the Commission agreed to accept PreCheck-screened passengers, Pistole would be correct in saying that a deal had been reached with the E.U.
The European Commission isn't without limits on what it can do to set EU wide security regulations and where.

There are parts of the EU that aren't part of the customs union which includes most of the EU.

How would the EC refuse to accept PreCheck screened passengers? By disallowing the limited elimination of transit screening on arrival for US-originating passengers that was already done before the PreCheck expansion just announced?
Old May 7, 2013, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
I'm basing my speculation on this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/bu...rity.html?_r=0

Presumably there is something about Pre that requires permission from other countries. Or maybe not. But I don't think it is that big a leap given Pistole's statement.
Sharing of passenger data elements.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Great news

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; May 7, 2013 at 10:10 am Reason: terrible spelling
Old May 7, 2013, 10:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sharing of passenger data elements.
Huh?
Old May 7, 2013, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
Huh?
Part of the PreCheck determination for an individual passenger is the product of an analysis of passengers and passenger data related to previous flights that may go beyond the single ticketed PNR to be flown by the passenger on the pending flight.

The US wanted (and sometime got) this data before but wasn't being voluntarily given it to the extent wanted under formalized agreement.

By agreeing to accept PreCheck, the EC is recognizing that some privacy right waivers may be observed by them too.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi All,

Despite several searches, including Google, I did not see this posted.

As a mostly international FFer, this is excellent news! Program is supposed to start May 7, 2013.

MODS, if I missed it, please merge!

Thanks,
robin

TSA Pre✓™ Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel
Sorry, but I don't know how to reproduce the text found in the OP, but what benefit in the arrival process is this for me coming into ATL from NRT three times this year since I have GE? Are they really going to have a separate lane that is like those when leaving ATL?

The text in question is:
"In addition, passengers with connecting domestic flights who arrive in the United States on an international flight may use the TSA Pre✓™ lanes when going through the screening process at participating airports after being cleared by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)."
Old May 7, 2013, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good news. Both the random nature of pre and the fact that a person who wanted to board an intl. flight and still use the abbreviated pre process could simply buy a fullly refundable domestic ticket to get himself through pre, call in and cancel for a refund and then board his intl. flight, make this a simple step forward.

On the inbound intll-domestic connection point, I presume that TSA will ultimately open pre lanes at some checkpoints exclusively used for such connections.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Which Asian countries do you mean? Many Asian countries force re-screening of transit passengers anyway, so it's a moot point whether the US screening was "sufficient" by their standards or not, because they just re-screen. So then no agreement would be necessary.
I think they don't want such passengers in their airspace. For example, on a couple of flights from ADD to IAD we had to stop in Rome soley for the purpose of rescreening the passengers. That was the conditon of allowing a "direct" flight from ADD to the U.S. (and if you saw the clown school that passed for security at ADD, you'd understand why).

So I think the agreement of the destination country is necessary.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Xeno
Sorry, but I don't know how to reproduce the text found in the OP, but what benefit in the arrival process is this for me coming into ATL from NRT three times this year since I have GE? Are they really going to have a separate lane that is like those when leaving ATL?

The text in question is:
"In addition, passengers with connecting domestic flights who arrive in the United States on an international flight may use the TSA Pre✓ lanes when going through the screening process at participating airports after being cleared by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)."
The benefit would be if you're connecting in ATL. Then you could use precheck when you go through security for the connecting flight. At the moment that's not possible (although I did get precheck once at ORD coming from HKG, I think because I was put on a different flight after my original flight was cancelled.).
Old May 7, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I think they don't want such passengers in their airspace. For example, on a couple of flights from ADD to IAD we had to stop in Rome soley for the purpose of rescreening the passengers. That was the conditon of allowing a "direct" flight from ADD to the U.S. (and if you saw the clown school that passed for security at ADD, you'd understand why).
The ADD-IAD flight stops at FCO because of the altitude of ADD. Take off for a non-stop flight from ADD would add unacceptable load restrictions to the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.