Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
May 13, 2013 - JFK Terminal 8

Flew back to LHR Monday night. Was very happy to get the three beeps!

Old May 17, 2013, 7:18 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by chollie
Equally 'clear as mud' is the business about which airlines qualify.
I think this is fairly clear:

Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Air Lines
United Airlines
US Airways

With Southwest and Virgin America on the way.

At this time no foreign carriers take part in PreCheck.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Ahhhh, good point. Ticket is DL-issued, but it looks like I'll be outta luck. i'll report on whether a Pre-Check line is set up, regardless of whether I get to use it.
As of Wednesday morning May 15, MHJIT (Concourse F) at ATL did not have a PreCheck line available for anyone. But there was not waiting at all in the regular line when I passed through outbound on KE.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:42 pm

On united headed to AMS, had pre check.. No complaints
Old May 18, 2013, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
I think this is fairly clear:

Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Air Lines
United Airlines
US Airways

With Southwest and Virgin America on the way.

At this time no foreign carriers take part in PreCheck.
See above posts. It isn't clear (and remember, we're talking about TSA, an organization not known for publishing clear, unambiguous rules and then following them).

It is not clear (to the pax, anyway) how codeshares are going to be handled.

If you and I are both on the same SFO-CDG AF/DL codeshare flight, does it matter if it is DL metal or AF metal? Or whose ticket stock our ticket is on? Or where we printed our BPs? (ie, if I book on AF's site, DL metal, print BP at home, but re-print at airport, can I get a 'Pre' BP?)

What if I book on DL's site, DL ticket stock, codeshare flight and AF is the operating carrier?

I don't think it's clear yet, but at least it is moving in the right direction (sort of) (since Pre should be the default screening process for everyone).
Old May 18, 2013, 7:27 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chollie
See above posts. It isn't clear (and remember, we're talking about TSA, an organization not known for publishing clear, unambiguous rules and then following them).

It is not clear (to the pax, anyway) how codeshares are going to be handled.

If you and I are both on the same SFO-CDG AF/DL codeshare flight, does it matter if it is DL metal or AF metal? Or whose ticket stock our ticket is on? Or where we printed our BPs? (ie, if I book on AF's site, DL metal, print BP at home, but re-print at airport, can I get a 'Pre' BP?)

What if I book on DL's site, DL ticket stock, codeshare flight and AF is the operating carrier?

I don't think it's clear yet, but at least it is moving in the right direction (sort of) (since Pre should be the default screening process for everyone).
It has to be DELTA metal and the boarding pass is going to need to be printed by DELTA to get a PRE on it. If the BP is printed by Air France it won't work, because Air France isn't going to have the trusted travler info. But, frankly if I were TSA and I saw anyone trying to game the system or ask questions about gaming the system, I would remove them from the system.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by stc
It has to be DELTA metal and the boarding pass is going to need to be printed by DELTA to get a PRE on it. If the BP is printed by Air France it won't work, because Air France isn't going to have the trusted travler info. But, frankly if I were TSA and I saw anyone trying to game the system or ask questions about gaming the system, I would remove them from the system.
And if you were TSA, how would you distinguish between people asking questions for clarification and people asking questions to 'game the system'?

Perhaps you could give an example of each for the sake of clarification? I wouldn't want to ask a question at the checkpoint and be retaliated against because a TSA misinterpreted my question as an attempt to 'game the system'.

(For example, I was specifically told I did not need to remove a Kippie bag with nothing but a travel toothpaste and toothbrush in it because I was 'just slowing things down'; at the same checkpoint, on a later occasion, I was chastised for having my toothbrush in my Kippie bag ("it's for liquids only"). If, on a later occasion, I hold up my Kippie bag and ask if it's ok to leave my toothbrush in, is that 'gaming the system'?)

I do feel much safer with people like yourself ensuring the integrity of the system, but you have still posted information regarding Pre and international flights that I have not seen on the TSA website. Could you indicate the source of your information, assuming it is not SSI?
Old May 18, 2013, 9:57 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
It's how I've been told the computer systems work by people in the know.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
I read that PreCheck for outbound international flights was limited Canada, EU countries and Australia. This morning at MIA I didn't bother to go to the PreCheck line (AA flight MIA-BOG) but when my BP was scanned the magic LLL appeared and I was allowed to enter the PreCheck area. Great way to start a trip.

Last edited by MileHigh; May 26, 2013 at 10:24 am
Old May 19, 2013, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
See bolded section about the "limit" not being a limit:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So which country or group of countries is it that has refused to accept PreChecked-screened passengers but was accepting non-PreCheck US-originating passengers? The mention in Pistole's announcement was about Australia, Canada and the EU being included in the PreCheck expansion, and yet even without any more recent deals with various countries, a whole bunch of other countries beyond Australia, Canada and the EU are accepting PreCheck-screened passengers too even where no bilateral agreement was more recently made in the aviation sector.

It ought to be relatively clear to a bunch more people now that the situation is about as clear as mud when dealing with Pistole and his comments.

So has anyone considered that this or some other PreCheck "expansion" may really be part of a USG way to try to co-opt the EU/Canada/Australia/others and pre-empt (some) complaints about the US using "security" to erect an unlawful, trade-distorting NTB?

Originally Posted by stc
Gaming the system is a simple thing to do, and it goes to show what a joke this Orwellian Animal Farmesque and Kafkaesque TSA "trusted traveler" dog and pony show really is.

Refundable ticket from the most likely carrier to give the pax a PreCheck LLL outcome on a flight that is in the same terminal or airside-connected terminal area as the non-PreCheck carrier to be ultimately flown has been done already, repeatedly. The gaming may or may not have been intentional but the TSA's and the DHS contractor's idea for a fix is going to improve more than it messes? Doubtful.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:12 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
While codeshares didn't work initially, PreCheck has gotten much better about that for domestic flights, as long as both airline participate in the program. For instance, I've had an Alaska flight work that was booked as an AA codeshare. Both airlines participate in PreCheck and my GE number is in both profiles.

However if one of the partners is a non-participating airline, it won't work. So unless you're flying on one of "the five" you won't get PreCheck.

Would be curious to hear reports of anyone flying on something like an AF ticket on DL metal and what that result is.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
On a good note, the new T4 at JFK will have PreCheck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-precheck.html

Old May 23, 2013, 2:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Anyone know if Caribbean flights qualify for Pre?

I am flying to POS tomorrow and am hopeful...
Old May 23, 2013, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Anyone know if Caribbean flights qualify for Pre?

I am flying to POS tomorrow and am hopeful...
Destination country doesn't necessarily change a thing for departure from US airports with PreCheck. Flights to the Caribbean have qualified already.

It's been possible to have a domestic US flight with PreCheck screening and then get checked in airside for international flights from the US without having to go through a non-PreCheck screening even before this latest announcement from Pistole. The destination countries aren't all so ignornant as to not have known this, even before the agreements were made that are the basis of Pistole's announcement on the expansion.
Old May 23, 2013, 3:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stc
That is incorrect. Air France will have the trusted traveler info because it is in the SecureFlight information. It doesn't matter how you book, they will have it if you put it in. The reason it wouldn't work on AF is because they don't participate, not because they wouldn't have a TT number; it is passed on.
Originally Posted by stc
It's how I've been told the computer systems work by people in the know.
Did you ask them? How did they know you weren't gaming the system if you asked them a question about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.