Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA "choice" @SMF: open sealed baby formula or 1 parents gets grope

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA "choice" @SMF: open sealed baby formula or 1 parents gets grope

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mulieri
If you are in this situation again, ask..no demand a LEO. The majority of police are decent (unlike the vast majority of TSOs) and may help bring this to a quick resolution. There's very little downside since asking for a LEO is not interering, obstructing, or anything else.
Second this.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:49 pm

I am not going to debate the sop with you people I was just trying to clear up something that the OP stated was made up when in fact its not. So I'm going back into lurk mode where I just should of stayed in the first place. I am now withdrawn from this conversation.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mulieri
If you are in this situation again, ask..no demand a LEO. The majority of police are decent (unlike the vast majority of TSOs) and may help bring this to a quick resolution. There's very little downside since asking for a LEO is not interering, obstructing, or anything else.
In this situation, what good would having a LEO on hand do? The issue here is regarding TSA's own unpublished security procedures. There's nothing for a LEO to adjudicate ...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by petaluma1
SMF has a "Contact Us" page on their website.

Let SMF know that, thanks to TSA at SMF, you will try flying to/from SFO (or taking Amtrak) instead of SMF in the future.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:47 pm

you people
Typical of TSA.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omascreener
I am not going to debate the sop with you people I was just trying to clear up something that the OP stated was made up when in fact its not. So I'm going back into lurk mode where I just should of stayed in the first place. I am now withdrawn from this conversation.
I just asked a question.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:37 pm

Thanks for the contribution. My daughter and granddaughter were going to fly out to see me. Now I can tell her that if she flies, she should expect a grope. The knowledge you imparted should help immensely in her choice of transportation.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Hey, come back here you can't just leave. You have not completed your screening. We are going to call the cops, or fine you $11,000 or something.

Gosh, I hate when that happens. Now we may never know.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Hey, come back here you can't just leave. You have not completed your screening. We are going to call the cops, or fine you $11,000 or something.

Gosh, I hate when that happens. Now we may never know.
Gonna have to dump the net
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:48 pm

Nobody was debating SOP (though I can tell you that those of us who participate here would LOVE to know what it is, since it's ever-changing).

I'd like to know the logic behind groping someone who has brought approved liquids in sealed containers to the airport, if they don't want to open the containers. What purpose is served? What evidence is gained? If there WERE something dangerous inside those bottles, how would subjecting one of the people carrying them to an extended security check render the liquid in the bottles suddenly "safe"?

I think those are reasonable questions. The fact that you have gone back into lurk mode rather than try to justify the actions of the TSA employees with something remotely resembling an intelligent answer says more about the value of "sop" than anything else.

And I can tell you that none of us are shocked you're abandoned the thread. We would've been much much more shocked if you'd actually attempted to answer the question. I mean, I'm sure there's a reasonable answer and that your superiors have imparted it to you, but maybe it's sooper sekret and you can't pass it on to us.

Color me skeptical.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JObeth66
Nobody was debating SOP (though I can tell you that those of us who participate here would LOVE to know what it is, since it's ever-changing).

I'd like to know the logic behind groping someone who has brought approved liquids in sealed containers to the airport, if they don't want to open the containers. What purpose is served? What evidence is gained? If there WERE something dangerous inside those bottles, how would subjecting one of the people carrying them to an extended security check render the liquid in the bottles suddenly "safe"?

I think those are reasonable questions. The fact that you have gone back into lurk mode rather than try to justify the actions of the TSA employees with something remotely resembling an intelligent answer says more about the value of "sop" than anything else.

And I can tell you that none of us are shocked you're abandoned the thread. We would've been much much more shocked if you'd actually attempted to answer the question. I mean, I'm sure there's a reasonable answer and that your superiors have imparted it to you, but maybe it's sooper sekret and you can't pass it on to us.

Color me skeptical.
Not a matter of justifying SOP but helping the public understand what on the surface appears to be pointless and unnecessary actions that contribute nothing to security. All TSA procedures seem to have been created with such lack of thought.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
In this situation, what good would having a LEO on hand do? The issue here is regarding TSA's own unpublished security procedures. There's nothing for a LEO to adjudicate ...
By offering a choice of who got the patdown they show there's no possible security issue here.

On the other hand, I don't think it's a retaliatory patdown in this case. Rather, I think this is just a case of a total moron. Inspect the liquids or pat down the carrier being applied in a totally numbskull way as they didn't know who the carrier of the liquids was.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Perhaps I am just not educated well enough to understand but how does groping the passenger validate what is in an oversized container?

You are not qualified to understand the Ways of TSA and how they apply their superior form of science...oh, wait, sorry: I'm completely wrong and they are simply full of crap.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
This is too stupid to be anything more than a power trip, and a dumb one at that. Some ex-Mc Donald's worker needs a pound of flesh per passenger.

Factory sealed bottles that can be resolved by making Sophie's choice. Now I've seen it all.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From France?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.