Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Feds want to study border-crossing fee"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Post "Feds want to study border-crossing fee"

From the Bellingham (WA) Herald:

Feds want to study border-crossing fee

BELLINGHAM - In an effort to raise more money for border protection and inspection, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security wants Congress to authorize the study of a fee that could be collected from everyone who enters this country at land crossings.

The DHS 2014 budget proposal seeks increases in existing fees charged for a variety of customs and immigration services, such as the fees that air and sea travelers pay when they enter the country.
Canadian perspective from the Vancouver Sun:

Homeland Security wants to charge fee for crossing U.S.-Canada border
Proposed charge prompts economic alarm in Ottawa, New York

The U.S. government is proposing to charge a new fee for every vehicle or pedestrian crossing the U.S.-Canada border — an idea that has prompted fierce objections from New York lawmakers who claim the levy would stifle transboundary commerce and undermine recent efforts to ease the flow of people and goods between the two countries.

The Canadian government, too, is raising alarms about the proposal, with an embassy spokesman in Washington telling the Buffalo News that “we’re confident that any study would conclude that the considerable economic damage any fee would do would greatly outweigh any revenue generated.”

The issue flared on Friday in the U.S. after Rep. Brian Higgins, a Democratic congressman from Buffalo, N.Y., drew attention to an item buried deeply in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s proposed 2014 budget, released last week by DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano.
The concept of "user pay" is fine with me, but only if it's going to truly reduce the burden on taxpayers who don't use a given service. Somehow I can't see that happening in this instance.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:01 pm

Keep putting up that wall around your country.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Indeed.

"What else can we think up to annoy and alienate people who want to visit the country to spend money?"
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
From the Bellingham (WA) Herald:

Canadian perspective from the Vancouver Sun:

The concept of "user pay" is fine with me, but only if it's going to truly reduce the burden on taxpayers who don't use a given service. Somehow I can't see that happening in this instance.
I can almost guarantee that Canada would return the favour to Americans with a similar tax levy. Other countries would also consider it.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I can almost guarantee that Canada would return the favour to Americans with a similar tax levy. Other countries would also consider it.
It's called reciprocity we've experienced it, e.g. visa costs for Brazil. IMHO this fee idea is about as stupid as that Florida law requiring Canadians to carry International Driving Permits.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: QFF
o.O I already have to pay a fee to cross the US/Canada border.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fredd
It's called reciprocity we've experienced it, e.g. visa costs for Brazil. IMHO this fee idea is about as stupid as that Florida law requiring Canadians to carry International Driving Permits.
This is another DHS money grab which I oppose.

The Florida IDP law is sort of no longer law -- it was probably unconstitutional and the state legislators had their mind changed by business interests and the communication about that law's probable unconstitutional elements.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Never met a tax they didn't like.

Where does Mr. AFS Chuck Schumer stand on this?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The Rainbow Bridge crossing fee would prevent a lot of people from crossing over to US to spend a few bucks. That is just one place that would suffer. There are many more.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:59 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My goodnes; DHS must have brainstorming sessions during which no ideas are rejected.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Post U.S. border fee proposal to be 'vigorously' fought by Ottawa

Ottawa "will vigorously lobby against" a proposal to charge every vehicle and pedestrian a fee to enter the United States at any land border crossing, says a spokeswoman for Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

The Department of Homeland Security wants Congress to authorize the study of a fee that could be collected from everyone who enters the U.S. at land crossings bordering Canada and Mexico.

Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade thinks a fee to simply enter the U.S. would be bad for business between the two countries.

"Canadian officials will vigorously lobby against this proposal," department spokeswoman Emma Welford told CBC News in an email.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...order-fee.html

It's a thoroughly stupid idea, which doesn't surprise me.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Personally I have no problem with it - to a certain degree. Besides there are a similar taxes when transiting via air:

http://www.airlines.org/Pages/Govern...portation.aspx

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-and-fees.html

As said, it is pay to play which with budget decreases we will more and more of such taxes. The issue is that the feds will continue to subsides many many other industries.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:51 pm

The wall is not there to keep YOU out, it's there to keep us in.

Just add a surtax to all that oil you ship south. Per gallon, whatever we charge you per car.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
My goodnes; DHS must have brainstorming sessions during which no ideas are rejected.
Ich habe den Fehler im Bild gefunden
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:04 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Ich habe den Fehler im Bild gefunden
Ok, asshatstorming sessions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.