Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA, AS
"I had a bad attitude towards the Canadians when entering once - they asked me if I was happy to come to their country, and I said no, it was far inferior to the US."

You lived here but you thought it was inferior...... good on the CBSA for sending your arrogant ... back to the USA ! If only they could give you a lifetime ban. Do you cop that attitude with immigration officers in every country you visit ? Do the world a favour and stay in the USA !
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Often1
3. Given that OP presumably knew that his record, both for criminal arrests and deportation (or exclusion) would be an issue, it would have been smart for OP to have gone back over the details and been crystal clear about them. Not suggesting that just being honest gets you over the hurdle, but not being honest is an outright denial.
Heck, I can see someone not being able to remember every instance if it stretched far enough back. But, a simple, "They go back to about X date and they were all dismissed; going in reverse order I can remember (stop me whenever you want, officer,) AA1, AA2, AA3, etc." should be sufficient.

They're not testing your memory. They're after your honesty in answering. Acknowledging the dates and asking how they want to go over them and then saying you'll do your best but might miss a few in the past is covering yourself for approval and (if denied) appeal. Being flippant is simply asking for a denial and skewering your chances of an appeal.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Honestly, I hope you are having a bad day today or something. But I dont really want you to have a GE card the way your acting on this board.

Last edited by TomBrady; Apr 18, 2013 at 9:10 am
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by nmstough
...(despite the fact I was living there for the previous 3 years!) until I paid off the ticket....
What was your status while living in Canada?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
1. GE is a privilege not a right.
That approach is the problem.

GE facility use ought to be a default right to all free US persons with a valid US passport.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jaisuiscanadien
"I had a bad attitude towards the Canadians when entering once - they asked me if I was happy to come to their country, and I said no, it was far inferior to the US."

You lived here but you thought it was inferior...... good on the CBSA for sending your arrogant ... back to the USA ! If only they could give you a lifetime ban. Do you cop that attitude with immigration officers in every country you visit ? Do the world a favour and stay in the USA !
Well y'kno, we all just got them flush toolets just last yar.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

GE facility use ought to be a default right to all free US persons with a valid US passport.
GE is not a right nor should it be.

GE is a privilege, and it should be reserved for those who have the cleanest backgrounds with not hints of trouble.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
maybe ? you don't remember ? I've never been arrested, but I'm guessing I'd remember those details.
I think the "maybe" refers to whether the arrest record could be considered "long" - That is, if I'm not sure what others might consider a long arrest record, so "maybe" it is long by the standards of some.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:27 am

Why even have customs checks for US citizens then? Global entry is not about illegal immigration, it's about smuggling prohibited items, and there are plenty of U.S. citizens who think it is fine to bring in fruit, meat, Cuban cigars, and even drugs. So long as doing so is illegal, there need to be customs checks for such items unless a given person shows that they don't deserve to be checked because they are trustworthy.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by drewguy
Why even have customs checks for US citizens then? Global entry is not about illegal immigration, it's about smuggling prohibited items, and there are plenty of U.S. citizens who think it is fine to bring in fruit, meat, Cuban cigars, and even drugs. So long as doing so is illegal, there need to be customs checks for such items unless a given person shows that they don't deserve to be checked because they are trustworthy.
Indeed. I often bring food items back from overseas travel. Even though I know it will (slightly) slow down my departure from the airport, I always declare it. I've never not been able to keep the food items. I don't want to risk my GE for something so silly. Being trustworthy is the key to GE.

I wills ay that it is interesting that people here got such detailed interview questions. I wasn't asked anything about my application -- just got a tutorial on how to use the system.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TomBrady

GE is a privilege, and it should be reserved for those who have the cleanest backgrounds with not hints of trouble.
I think GE should be a right for all free US citizens with a valid US passport. Your opinion is different than my opinon. My opinion doesn't support the DHS "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" hypocrisy that is but another instrument of administratively subjugating free persons. Does your opinion in support of DHS status quo do so? It seems to.

Customs enforcement is well possible without this "trusted traveler" Orwellian Animal Farm-like approach of the US Government/DHS.

Originally Posted by drewguy
As if "trusted travelers" don't also violate laws. As if non-GE-enabled US citizens are any more eager to violate federal laws than GE-enabled US citizens.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:27 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by TomBrady

As a mutual fund prospectus might say: "Past performance is not necessarily predictive of future results." I'm sure Ken Lay and Bernie Madoff would have easily been approved for GE. Yet the person who ran into a rough patch in life a few years back with no hint of present difficulty is likely to get rejected.

The presumption should be in favor of granting GE. That doesn't make it a "right", but it should ensure that people with past issues will get a fair shot.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:07 pm

As if "trusted travelers" don't also violate laws. As if non-GE-enabled US citizens are any more eager to violate federal laws than GE-enabled US citizens.
I'm sure some do. But I have confidence the number is a lot lower than for the average passport holder, but for intentional and unintentional illegal importation.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by nmstough
It seems that my arrests weren't sealed and they did appear. I wasn't trying to be aloof, but when I was asked what happened, I gave a brief answer. After 12 years, who would remember exactly what counts were filed against someone? The officer then started ticking them off. And I responded, OK, I guess so, but it was dismissed. Everything was dismissed. My point is I didn't lie about anything. When youre asked a general question "Have you ever been arrested", how much detail should you be prepared to volunteer at the outset? It all seems totally unfair. $100 for nothing.
You were denied for being "less than forthcoming." What that tells me is that maybe you were convicted of something, or at least CBP believes that you were. If you say that you have a 'long arrest history,' then perhaps you might have had a conviction. To fight the decision, you should do an FBI background check as well as a DOJ livescan check for the state that you live in. This should give you an idea of what exactly is on your record. Then you would have to find out what was the exact disposition for each charge.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I think GE should be a right for all free US citizens with a valid US passport. Your opinion is different than my opinon. My opinion doesn't support the DHS "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" hypocrisy that is but another instrument of administratively subjugating free persons. Does your opinion in support of DHS status quo do so? It seems to.

Customs enforcement is well possible without this "trusted traveler" Orwellian Animal Farm-like approach of the US Government/DHS.

Agree completely.

I believe in open borders. GE should be a minimum for every US citizen, but without any biometrics or interviews. Have valid passport? Wave and come on in. Or better yet, come on in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.