Denied Entry to Costa Rica

Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by qmiro
I did know in the past that having an I-551 stamp on my passport would not allow me into countries like Mexico or Canada without a visa. So I never attempted to do that.
I agree with the rest of your post except this part. It is advisable to call immigration authorities in Mexico and Canada to ask whether they will accept I-551 stamp in the passport in lieu of a Green Card. When I was without an actual Green Card but with an I-551 stamp in my passport, I did call the particular crossing at Aldergrove and asked a CBSA supervisor if they would accept my national passport + I-551 stamp, and he said they would. And they actually did. I have no idea how Mexican authorities treat this stamp, but I can guarantee that you can enter Mexico at any land border without as much as showing your papers at all

It seems that some people in this thread confused the ability to enter the US with a temporary I-551 stamp or extension letter with the ability to enter foreign countries with aforementioned documents. As a matter of fact, if you have a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport, a CBP officer will most likely not even need to look at it because your passport will be linked to your permanent resident status. That is speaking from my own experience when I travelled with this temporary stamp.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by moeve
I am not American or a GC holder so pardon me if this question seems stupid. What I do know is that this GC is very important in the US so how come the US can afford to let people wait so long for such an important document.
The US government doesn't care if lack of an unexpired green card inconveniences lawful permanent residents.

Indeed, the position of the U.S. government on lawful permanent residents is: "we prefer that you leave".
( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...l#post11880840 )

Originally Posted by moeve
I need to ask something else - is this GC handled the same way as a passport? Many countries require a passport to be valid for 6 months after the end of the trip which in effect reduces the vailidity of such a passport to 9 years and 6 months. Now since you might need to wait 8 weeks or more for a new one and the new one is issued to the same date as it is applied for that effectively reduces the validity even more. Now does the GC work on the same principle and is this the reason why people wait until the almost the end to apply for a new one? Or are you simply not allowed to apply for the new one before a certain period?
An unexpired green card is more important for getting a state driver's license, proof of lawful residency when challenged by the CBP within 200 miles of a border, a mortgage, and proof of eligibility to work and/or attend school than it is a travel document. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD states that one can only apply to renew a green card if the card has 6 months or less left on it.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
The US government doesn't care if lack of an unexpired green card inconveniences lawful permanent residents.
Have you ever been a LPR yourself? When you file I-90 for expired/lost Green Card, you can request a temporary stamp I-551 in your passport. This will be a valid proof of your status for any transaction within the USA as well as for entry into the US from abroad. Canadians also treat this stamp as the Green Card substitute. Of course, it takes some time (couple of hours) to get this stamp. Speaking from my personal experience, it is hardly an inconvenience.

Indeed, the position of the U.S. government on lawful permanent residents is: "we prefer that you leave".
( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...l#post11880840 )
Been LPR for about 6 years and never felt this way. Heck, I haven't felt this way on an immigrant visa. Even though it is a "debate" forum, I would still advise not to generalise one statement by a particular CBP officer onto the entire US government.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Knig
Have you ever been a LPR yourself?.
Yes, since 1985. I've been posting here since 2007 and have never hidden this. Try to keep up.

As for generalizing from one CBP officer, my views reflect over 30 years dealing with CBP and its precursors, as well as volumes of anecdotes posted on this and its sister forum. E.g. Producing a new GE kiosk that fails to recognize a green card but recognizes a foreign or US passport pretty much says it all.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by Knig
When you file I-90 for expired/lost Green Card, you can request a temporary stamp I-551 in your passport. This will be a valid proof of your status for any transaction within the USA as well as for entry into the US from abroad. Canadians also treat this stamp as the Green Card substitute. Of course, it takes some time (couple of hours) to get this stamp. Speaking from my personal experience, it is hardly an inconvenience.
Where on the I-90 can you request this stamp? I do not see any reference to an I-551 stamp on the current form or the instructions.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hobbes01
Where on the I-90 can you request this stamp? I do not see any reference to an I-551 stamp on the current form or the instructions.
You don't request it on I-90. You just make an InfoPass and take an I-90 receipt with you. Then you tell the USCIS agent that you filed I-90 and want a temporary stamp in your passport. They usually issue stamps with 6 months validity. I got these stamps twice - when my I-485 was approved and 6 years later when I lost my GC and had to file I-90.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
To add insult to injury, UA may well come after OP for both any fine which is imposed and the walk-up fare for the "must fly" back.
How could UA assess the OP any fine imposed on UA? Yes, they could ask for walk-up fare, but UA, not the OP, would be fined for transporting a pax without valid documentation.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:16 pm
TCG

Hello everyone,

I'm now stuck in the same situation a month prior to flight to Costa Rica in Dec.

Have a green card that expires in Jan, no renewal card in sight as the backup is something like 7 months.

The sticker expires at the end of April and my I-551 Stamp expires next Nov.

Does anyone have any updated experiences with Costa Rica Immigration?

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Denied Entry to Costa Rica

The lesson is use your passport and if it requires a visa for Costa Rica, get one.

At the end of the day, the purpose of the LPR card is to facilitate entry into the US; not serve as a travel document to other countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.