Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Entry to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 2:59 pm

And the relationship between this post and the UNited Mileage Plus forum is?

OMNI perhaps?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
And the relationship between this post and the UNited Mileage Plus forum is? ....
OP may have hope there was support to put the responsibility on UA since UA accepted the travel docs.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think this belongs in another forum, perhaps Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety Issues or Destinations > Americas > Central America. There's nothing United-specific or MileagePlus relevant here.

Originally Posted by dreamfool
Any thoughts? Do you think anyone is responsible for my failed trip?
I don't think it's me, since I have checked on Costa Rica's entry requirements at several places and I have the correct document to proof my PR status.
You are the only person responsible for having the appropriate documentation to enter a country.

I can also understand each country has their specific entry requirements, so I don't blame Costa Rica immigration for insisting me to have the actual valid card presented upon entry
I bet the Costa Rican embassy or consulate could have told you the letter was not acceptable, if you had asked before travel. That's what they're for.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many threads of posters blaming airlines for denied boarding while they, in their view, had valid travel documents. Now, posters also blaming airlines for allowing them to travel while not possessing valid travel documents.

Some thread I can think of:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nsit-visa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jal-m...tnam-visa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ding-visa.html

Funny world.

Last edited by TerryK; Apr 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. This isn't about fault, it's about responsibility.
2. It is 100% the responsibility of the traveler to have in hand the correct entry documents as determined by the country to which entry is sought. If CR requires, as it apparently does, a green card with at least 6 months' validity, that's what's required. If OP didn't have that, as the CR website notes, all he needed was a tourist visa.
3. As others note, UA checks docs in order to protect itself. Here UA may well have been or will be fined.

To add insult to injury, UA may well come after OP for both any fine which is imposed and the walk-up fare for the "must fly" back.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Suppose this went the other way - United denied you a seat on the plane, citing visa issues. Would you accept that, or would you be unhappy that UA denied you travel erroneously?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Suppose this went the other way - United denied you a seat on the plane, citing visa issues. Would you accept that, or would you be unhappy that UA denied you travel erroneously?
Precisely my point.:-:

Airlines are to blame if anything goes wrong. It is neither the immigration authorities, nor the passengers' responsibilities.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
No, my home country passport requires a visa and I knew that, but I was counting on using the green card + 1 year extension notice since it said it was good for employment and travel.
just curious...what is your home country that requires a visa to visit CR ?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA General
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Well, it still would have sucked a lot, but at least I didn't have to fly there with the hopes of starting my vacation and be disappointed, then got sent back on the plane watching people happily going home except me. Of course, this is NOT only sucky part, but it hits me deeply at this point of my life.

Originally Posted by TerryK
Precisely my point.:-:

Airlines are to blame if anything goes wrong. It is neither the immigration authorities, nor the passengers' responsibilities.
I am not saying I am blaming UA for it. I doubt they would have known that even with a valid piece of extension document, Costa Rica immigration would have not considered it as a valid proof of PR status.

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
just curious...what is your home country that requires a visa to visit CR ?
I hold both Hong Kong SAR passport and Taiwan passport.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
dreamfool - sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you manage to have your (much needed by the sound of it) holiday somewhere else.

I just checked the embassy for Costa Rica (US site), and their rules are pretty clear, which I have copied below. It seems you must have a green card, valid for six months:
I wish I have seen that during my research. I did look up the entry requirements of Costa Rica at various websites but obviously didn't see this one - other websites simply stated US permanent resident + home country passport is OK.

Originally Posted by star_world
You were in the right here - I am very familiar with the letter to which you refer, and it absolutely does extend your US permanent residency for 1 year while the case is being processed. There is no stamp involved.

Since you mention a 3 month window for the renewal, I presume you had a conditional green card previously and you were filing the petition to have the conditions removed?

This page confirms that the letter is sufficient: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Laws/Memo...ensn120203.pdf
Yes, I started my application last August and ironically got an email from them saying the card is on its way to me 2 days ago.

Originally Posted by Often1
1. This isn't about fault, it's about responsibility.
2. It is 100% the responsibility of the traveler to have in hand the correct entry documents as determined by the country to which entry is sought. If CR requires, as it apparently does, a green card with at least 6 months' validity, that's what's required. If OP didn't have that, as the CR website notes, all he needed was a tourist visa.
3. As others note, UA checks docs in order to protect itself. Here UA may well have been or will be fined.

To add insult to injury, UA may well come after OP for both any fine which is imposed and the walk-up fare for the "must fly" back.
Geez, I hope they will not do that...life is hard enough for me already.

Last edited by dreamfool; Apr 7, 2013 at 6:45 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Apr 6, 2013 at 9:29 pm Reason: Apparently I was wrong. :)
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:31 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Several countries in the Americas consider US LPR status as equivalent to US citizenship for short term immigration purposes.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by mkt
Several countries in the Americas consider US LPR status as equivalent to US citizenship for short term immigration purposes.
I did not know that. But I do now.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:01 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I did not know that. But I do now.
No worries. I go through this all the time down here when I put together family trips across the Caribbean islands. Most of my relatives are US citizens, but a few aren't.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:27 am

Many years I ago I and my son went into a immigration office in California to remover our conditional green card to a resident card.
I was told by the female immigration officer that it would take 3-4 months for the new card to arraive in the mail.
In the mean time we could travel outside USA without a problem since we still had the permit in our passports.
We flew to Sweden for a months . Coming back to USA we got stopped by immigration asked why we flew without the residentcard. They admitted that they knew it would take months for it to come. And according to this immigration officer it was not ok to travel with just a stamp in the passport.
He also stated that he did not agree or approved of CA. way of doing it.
Even if CA. was the one issuing it.
So it sometimes depends on the immigration officer what they will do.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's not up to the airline to ensure you have everything you need to get into a country. It's up to the traveler. Yes the airline checks documents, but just because they let you on the plane doesn't mean you can get into the country. It's always the traveler's responsibility to have the proper documents they need to enter the country they are visiting.

UA took me there and back, as promised, so I doubt they would return my miles + fees back either.
This is just silly. You are lucky they didn't charge you a one way walk up fare to get you home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.