Wiki Posts
Search

Sexism at the border: a personal account

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CBP and condom counting to profile people as prostitutes? Sure, it happens -- at the federal and state/local LE levels.

Condom counting being used by NY law enforcement to profile (primarily) women as prostitutes has prompted a bill in the state legislature that would ban such profiling method at the state level. The police oppose the bill -- probably much like CBP would oppose anti-profiling legislation like this at the national level too.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/27...s-as-evidence/

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 27, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by phoebepontiac
But I wonder if she is aware that her own country routinely turns away Americans with minor, decades-old, single criminal offenses on their records (a DUI when they were young and stupid, for example) after they have long since straightened up and paid their debt to society.
The same applies going into the U.S. The CBP will turn you away from minor offenses that occurred in the distant past even if you have received a pardon from the Canadian government.

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Except that she was travelling to Aruba, which is under Netherlands law, where adultery is not a crime. The US has no lawful grounds to act IMO. I doubt they'd meet the threshold for "transports" either, but IANAL in the US so I wouldn't know about that one.
Being "in transit" doesn't matter to the CBP. All they know is that you are entering the U.S.A. and all rules apply.

I often find the CBP's behavior appalling but as a foreign national there is little choice but to tolerate it and the complaints of the woman in the original article will fall on deaf ears.

I also suspect if a young American woman showed up with a purse full of condoms in the company of a man who is someone else's husband it is very like the CBSA would have similar questions.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:26 am

One thing the story did not mention was how this couple appeared -- was s he young and attractive while he was old, fat and bald?

Seems to contribute to the suspicion by the border agent.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

CBP and CBSA are sort of cut from the same cloth, so it probably would be much the same -- except Francophone Canada seems relatively less obsessed about prostitution than the US and less judgmental about "safe-sex" adultery.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Being "in transit" doesn't matter to the CBP. All they know is that you are entering the U.S.A. and all rules apply.

I often find the CBP's behavior appalling but as a foreign national there is little choice but to tolerate it and the complaints of the woman in the original article will fall on deaf ears.
While it seems obvious that those involved acted in an appalling manner, the one bit I can't find fault with is that they treated her like somebody trying to enter the US- because that's what she was. Once in MIA she could have just walked out of the airport, arriving as a domestic passenger.

I also suspect if a young American woman showed up with a purse full of condoms in the company of a man who is someone else's husband it is very like the CBSA would have similar questions.
I should very much hope that CBSA understands its remit doesn't extend to counting condoms or checking marital status.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
I should very much hope that CBSA understands its remit doesn't extend to counting condoms or checking marital status.
Not specifically but they can ask or check anything they choose and Canadian law requires that you answer truthfully.

And it seems the CBSA is equally guilty of some bad behavior.

http://o.canada.com/news/cbsa-airpor...nt-humiliation
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
By memory (not personal experience), the Mann Act also was more of a concern about 30+ years ago when the age of consent varied between states. If you traveled with someone who was below the age of consent in State "A" to State "B" where the age of consent was lower than the person's age (making sexual conduct legal), for the purpose of engaging in sexual conduct, then it could result in a prosecution under the Mann Act.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:47 pm

Not specifically but they can ask or check anything they choose and Canadian law requires that you answer truthfully.

And it seems the CBSA is equally guilty of some bad behavior.

http://o.canada.com/news/cbsa-airpor...nt-humiliation
Totally agree with you that CBSA have their fair share of power-trippers. But specifically I would hope that they don't care whether you're coming to Canada for adultery and/or voluntary prostitution.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
By memory (not personal experience), the Mann Act also was more of a concern about 30+ years ago when the age of consent varied between states. If you traveled with someone who was below the age of consent in State "A" to State "B" where the age of consent was lower than the person's age (making sexual conduct legal), for the purpose of engaging in sexual conduct, then it could result in a prosecution under the Mann Act.
Mann originally named the act the White-Slave Traffic Act and that is what became "the Mann Act" from the start. I don't think an act with such a name would pass nowadays in Congress.

The Mann Act has been used to prosecute people for "interracial" relationships, bigamy/polygamy, hiring prostitutes across state or international boundaries, and even for engaging in consensual sex with people in the jurisdiction(s) where the age of consent allows for sexual relations but one party's away/home jurisdiction may not (even as the act takes place in a jurisdiction where it is not a crime). I had forgotten about this act until a handful of years back when the then-Gov. of NY (and a former prosecutor against prostitution) was caught having his favorite prostitutes coming to his hotel in DC (despite them both living elsewhere). His favorites didn't need to carry that many condoms, as supposedly he wasn't a fan of them ... or something else.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Why would possession of condoms imply prostitution, especially for a woman travelling with a man? Would CBP be charged with enforcing the Mann Act or other similar law? A little OT: with SCOTUS throwing out the Defense of Marriage Act, does that also mean that polygamy and polyandry are now legal?

Last edited by relangford; May 6, 2014 at 12:16 am
Old May 1, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by relangford
Why would possession of condoms imply prostitution, especially for a woman travelling with a man? Would CBP be charged with enforcing the Mann Act or other similar law? A little OT: with SCOUS throwing out the Defense of Marriage Act, does that also mean that polygamy and polyandry are now legal?
I guess the argument is that it's going to be adultery or prostitution, both of which the CBP agent appeared to look down on.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
, does that also mean that polygamy and polyandry are now legal?
[nitpick] Polygamy is the gender neutral term. Polygyny is the female to the male polyandry.[/nitpick]
Old May 4, 2014, 1:57 pm

"Clay Nikiforuk is a recent Creative Writing graduate from UBC " Hmmm it shows!
Old May 5, 2014, 1:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Airbridge
"Clay Nikiforuk is a recent Creative Writing graduate from UBC " Hmmm it shows!
Some of the best writers of historical non-fiction have been creative writing students too. A good writer is a good writer and some great writers cross genres rather well. Let's not forget that the Founding Fathers were great students of some of the best creative writers of and before their time and they, as students of government too, relied upon their non-fictional pieces of "creative writers" -- Jefferson, Hamilton, Jay, Madison and Franklin come to mind as having relied upon such "creative writers". Apparently the US Founding Fathers had a different kind of respect for "creative writing" students too.

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
[nitpick] Polygamy is the gender neutral term. Polygyny is the female to the male polyandry.[/nitpick]
Indeed, and polygamy need not even be limited to government-recognized marital status. Polygamy exists in the world even absent marriage; and it exists even for some of the married.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 5, 2014 at 2:03 am
Old May 6, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Polygamy exists in the world even absent marriage; and it exists even for some of the married.
While it exists in UT and AZ (and elsewhere), weren't Mormons forced to officially renounce polygamy in order for UT to become a state?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.