TSA and Belts

Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've been hearing the remove your belts thing for years. I have not had any problems with my build in fabric belt
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by realjd
I've never had a belt trigger the AIT but am usually asked to remove it anyway. A TSO at MLB told me it isn't about concern for triggering the ATD SW but rather policy that belts get xrayed to make sure there aren't knives or something in/behind them.
Perhaps they should be using metal detectors instead then . . .
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Perhaps they should be using metal detectors instead then . . .
Well, the obvious problem with that is, since TSA did away with the hand held metal detector when they began Scope and Grope, there is no way to localize a WTMD alarm, so it will result in a full-body grope.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Well, the obvious problem with that is, since TSA did away with the hand held metal detector when they began Scope and Grope, there is no way to localize a WTMD alarm, so it will result in a full-body grope.
Only if the belt set-off the WTMD, which most don't.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Only if the belt set-off the WTMD, which most don't.
True, but I get the impression that it varies from airport to airport. I can't imagine that every WTMD in the country is exactly the same make, model, and age, or is calibrated precisely to the same standard for sensitivity, so some must alarm more than others. As I said, pre-scope and grope, particularly in the first few years after 9/11, BWI often made all travelers remove belts because so many common buckles were alarming. Heck, I alarmed once with a perfectly ordinary WalMart buckle that has less metal in it than a roll of quarters.

My point is that IF your belt buckle, or underwire bra, or other innocuous object, alarms the WTMD, the lack of a HHMD to localize the alarm means that you're in for a full-body grope.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:09 am

True, but I get the impression that it varies from airport to airport. I can't imagine that every WTMD in the country is exactly the same make, model, and age, or is calibrated precisely to the same standard for sensitivity, so some must alarm more than others. As I said, pre-scope and grope, particularly in the first few years after 9/11, BWI often made all travelers remove belts because so many common buckles were alarming. Heck, I alarmed once with a perfectly ordinary WalMart buckle that has less metal in it than a roll of quarters.

My point is that IF your belt buckle, or underwire bra, or other innocuous object, alarms the WTMD, the lack of a HHMD to localize the alarm means that you're in for a full-body grope.
They usually give a chance to rid yourself of potentially alarming materials on your body (e.g., take off your belt) and try a second time before they grope.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
We had one of out resident TSA people tell us one time that suspenders were fine but you had to unclip one side.

(No, I don't know why. No one does. It just is.)
Was that with a WTMD or Scanner?

If it was WTMD, it was because the two buckles at the same position on opposite sides of the body created a tangent and appeared as a larger metal mass to the WTMD than was actually present. In most cases, when one side was unclipped or removed from one side and thrown over a shoulder, the tangent went away. If the buckles were large, the WTMD would still alarm.

If it was a scanner, I have no idea why one side should be unclipped.

Last edited by NextTrip; Apr 9, 2013 at 1:07 am
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:01 am

They usually give a chance to rid yourself of potentially alarming materials on your body (e.g., take off your belt) and try a second time before they grope.
Used to be limited to one extra try. More recently, you are given a chance to divest as many times as you want, until you give up and say you don't have anything else to divest. But, only with the WTMD, not the scanners.

Last edited by NextTrip; Apr 9, 2013 at 1:06 am
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
As I remember it the conversation was about both. Someone asked if suspenders would be OK. The TSO that was in on the conversation said that suspenders would not have to be removed for either, but it might help to unclip one side for the WTMD for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Even then, there is less metal in four suspender's clips that there is my single belt buckle. The difference is that the belt buckle is near the center of the area and the clips are all located at the edges, nearer the uprights.

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Was that with a WTMD or Scanner?

If it was WTMD, it was because the two buckles at the same position on opposite sides of the body created a tangent and appeared as a larger metal mass to the WTMD than was actually present. In most cases, when one side was unclipped or removed from one side and thrown over a shoulder, the tangent went away. If the buckles were large, the WTMD would still alarm.

If it was a scanner, I have no idea why one side should be unclipped.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
The WTMD doesn't provide an indication as to where the metal is? I haven't paid that much attention to the TSA's but most of the ones I've seen have lights along the side that show the height of the metal.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:45 pm

At PDX a few days ago, I saw a number of folks insisting on leaving their belts on to go through the MMW there. The clerks shrugged. On the other side of this, I hung around and watched a lot of those same people get flagged by the machine for the belts.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
As I remember it the conversation was about both. Someone asked if suspenders would be OK. The TSO that was in on the conversation said that suspenders would not have to be removed for either, but it might help to unclip one side for the WTMD for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Even then, there is less metal in four suspender's clips that there is my single belt buckle. The difference is that the belt buckle is near the center of the area and the clips are all located at the edges, nearer the uprights.

Marginally related, but potentially useful semi-speculation.

After I complained recently to a 3 striper at (airport name withheld to block the nefarious terrorists) that the post MMW groper had groped my left armpit when it was my right armpit that had alarmed, he told me, unprompted, that alarms in the pocket area had to be patted down on both sides of the "target" by procedure.
Those of us above pizza box hiring criteria intellect level will recognize that is likely because this alarm would be at the edge of the MMW scan area, beyond which, the scope is blind, as shown in many previous postings. The software may be inaccurate for mapping alarms in that area. This would align a little with the desire to remove one suspender clip from this boundary area.

Seems to me that the inability to effectively use the scopes shows another advantage of the WTMD, it's digital (Alarm? Yes/No) which caters better to the pizza box job seekers who cannot tell left from right. Real shame we spent all that treasure on scanners.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
"No way! I beeped! I earned my grope. I deserve it and I demand my right to get it. And don't even think about short-changing me. I want that grope to be a complete one, without cheating by stopping when you meet resistance."

It will be interesting to see which screeners then opt out.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:22 am

Belts need to be removed before they will start the pat down after an opt out. It is easier for everyone if the pax remove their belts when they are told.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by spyvsspy
Belts need to be removed before they will start the pat down after an opt out. It is .
"need to be removed"? By whom, for what?

" ... before they will start the pat down after an opt out"
Why do they "need" to be removed if you're not opting out?

"... easier for everyone if the pax remove their belts when they are told" I'm sure it would be easier for everyone (the universe, which, defined by TSA, is only TSA) if we believe the TSA on everything we're told without question. Glad I'm not wired that way, and I know my function is not to make anything easier for TSA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.