Search

Former screener blogs about the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD

EDITED TO ADD:

Forget about TSOs weearing doimeters. Just stick a frikkin' dosimeter badge to the outside of each machine where the TSOs stand while a victim, er, suspect, er, body, er, passenger is inside.
^^ We have a winner!

I'd say I'm surprised no TSO (or even LTSO or STSO) has thought about doing this, but the need to believe is strong...)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:07 am

If the TSA cared about safety, TSO would wear dosimeters not only because of backscatter machines, but mostly because they all work near X-ray machines. It is standard safety procedure anywhere else.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
If the TSA cared about safety, TSO would wear dosimeters not only because of backscatter machines, but mostly because they all work near X-ray machines. It is standard safety procedure anywhere else.
You are quite correct. Including the BXS there are at least four x-ray devices used by the TSA any of which could malfunction and create a hazard.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K
His imitation of a French cat had me laughing out loud this morning.

Cats, as we all know, are stubborn little things. They do not like being bossed around. In this way, cats are probably the biggest, baddest, most patriotic Anti-TSA Americans on the planet (all cats are American when they hit a TSA checkpoint. Even French cats are like, “Merde! Zees is bullsheet! Why do I have to come out of zees carrier! Why you are patting me down!? Do not touch me I scratch you! .... zees I run away now and abort my screening!”
I've never had the opportunity to witness a cat go through screening, but I can't believe they would ask a cat owner to take a cat out of it's carrier in such a large, noisy space. That is, indeed, asking for mayhem.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by lostinthewash
I've never had the opportunity to witness a cat go through screening, but I can't believe they would ask a cat owner to take a cat out of it's carrier in such a large, noisy space. That is, indeed, asking for mayhem.
I have seen it happen. Not recently, but I have seen it happen.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lostinthewash
I helped a then-girlfriend with her family's cross-country move by flying with her and her ornery, old cat who hadn't left the house its whole life. This was just after the TSA's inception. Yes, they made her carry the kitty through the WTMD. Yes, it was very tense for all of us until the terrified cat was securely back in the carrier.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:00 am

Never been a cat person, but that post made me like the creatures a lot more...

And I find his suggestions for the checkpoint spot on.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:16 am

Sorry for the bump, but his comments on Backscatter machines are not to be missed:

http://takingsenseaway.wordpress.com...pen-letter-to/
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Sorry for the bump, but his comments on Backscatter machines are not to be missed:

http://takingsenseaway.wordpress.com...pen-letter-to/
No apology necessary. Interesting read and it seems Corbett is right after all.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I think it's a CYA move.

Rapiscan told TSA the machines were "safe". Nobody elaborated, and TSA didn't care to delve deeper, but they have reassurances from the manufacturer that the machines are "safe". There is no danger. Hence, dosimeters are not needed to check for a danger that doesn't exist.

However, allowing TSOs to wear dosimeters would be tantamount to acknowledging that there might be a danger. After all, the logic goes, if you thought there was enough of a radiation hazard to allow your employees to wear radiation sensors, why didn't you take more steps to protect them from that theoretical danger? And why would you have told everyone there is no danger when you clearly thought there was enough to allow them to wear dosimeters?

By denying TSOs the ability to wear dosimeters, TSA can lay any blame off on Rapiscan when and if BSX cancer clusters break in the news. "Well, they TOLD us their machine was safe! I guess they LIED! BAD RAPISCAN!"

EDITED TO ADD:

Forget about TSOs weearing doimeters. Just stick a frikkin' dosimeter badge to the outside of each machine where the TSOs stand while a victim, er, suspect, er, body, er, passenger is inside.

Great great post that I agree with 100%. It definitely is a liability issue where TSA does not want to be blamed. It reminds me of the parking lot of a college I used to attend that had a ton of problems with break-ins and thefts of vehicles. They had signs posted everywhere about not leaving valuables out, but downplayed the theft problem. When asked why can't they do anything about it, they said if they installed cameras, then they could be held legally liable for said problems and wouldn't deal with that. This leads me too...

The TSA is trying to pass the buck here. If they really knew it was 100% safe, certainly they would of told us by now to deflect some of the bad PR they've had. By acting nieve, they are giving themselves cover if it ever comes out that these machines are unsafe.

I'm surprised, however, that not ONE person has been able to independently test one of the body scanners, or even put up a dosimeter (whether approved or not) to check these machines. Its such a huge agency that it surprises me nobody has tried yet. Do they have all these extra body scanners in a warehouse because they don't want any of them to 'get out' to someone who might test one and be able to throw a wrench into this huge charade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.