Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yautjalady
...So there are people who predate the requirements....
Jautjalady... what an awful story! So your MIL, due to ridiculous bureaucratic technicalities imposed by DHS could never get a valid id again? It must be very difficult for her. Sadly, there are others (lots of elderly widows) who will be in the same boat as your MIL as realID is implemented in stages. What becomes of these newly disenfranchised "unidentified" people? Is there no recourse for them?

Last edited by loops; Nov 27, 2012 at 3:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by loops
Jautialady... what an awful story! So your MIL, due to ridiculous bureaucratic technicalities imposed by DHS could never get a valid id again? It must be very difficult for her. Sadly, there are others (lots of elderly widows) who will be in the same boat as your MIL as realID is implemented in stages. What becomes of these newly disenfranchised "unidentified" people? Is there no recourse for them?
Exactly.

She moved from NY to CA back in 2001, and it was that bad BACK THEN.

We had to call 5 different airlines to find one that would take her and her companion with the IDs they had.

She got on with her old D/L and her SS card, such as it was.

This was in June/July BEFORE 9/11.

Its possible we would have had to drive all the way from CA to NY and come back with them that way, if they had decided to move after then.

She's no longer with us, but we did the right thing by her, and found ways around the ID mess.

To answer your question about the other elders as RealID is implemented in stages, I remember reading in the thread about "born after 1964".

That may help somewhat.

But if they go further back than that, it WILL be a problem for US (I was born before '64)

Another thought... what about people born at home and homeschooled?

There are those even now, so that "born after 1964" may NOT help at ALL.

Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
Did you ever think about the possibility that not everyone is in the same situation as you are? You may have had no problem, but others may be in a different situation. Yes, it is a minority of people that has problems, but it is still a legitimate issue.
It's a minuscule tiny minority. I never said it was not an issue. But I'll bet the number of people who can not produce the necessary documents to obtain this type of ID or get a passport card or passport is probably less than 1% of the flying public. Probably way less.

There is a huge difference between those who can't do it and those who won't.

They have had years. Guess what? Times up.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by König
The percentage of US nationals holding a passport is just shameful.
Why is it shameful?

About the only reason you need a passport today is to travel out of the country.

If people choose not to do that it is not shameful, it is a choice they make.

The number is higher than ever and growing (over 1/3 of the population in June).

If somebody has no plans to travel why should they get one?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by König
What would bother me is if my ID document from one jurisdiction would not be accepted by another jurisdiction - it is already happening (e.g., Arizona not accepting Washington non-Enhanced driving licences).
To what are you referring about "Arizona not accepting Washington" DL's? They are certainly accepted as proof of a license to drive, but do not create a presumption that a person is not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States since Washington, Hawaii and New Mexico are the only three states that do not require proof of legal presence in the United States before issuance.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:06 pm
16A

You know what the dumb part of all this is? Those fake ID guys in China are probably churning out RealID compliant licenses that are indistinguishable from the real ones for less money and way less paperwork than you can get them at the local DMV. Drivers licenses should be for driving. If a person can't fly or walk into a federal building without endangering others then the correct place for them is jail.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by 16A
Drivers licenses should be for driving. If a person can't fly or walk into a federal building without endangering others then the correct place for them is jail.
Well said.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Question that I haven't seen addressed: Illinois is compliant now, I believe, but only for DLs issued after a certain date. My (valid) DL is 7 years old -- in 2009 when I renewed it, they were just putting stickers on the back with the new 2013 expiration date -- so it probably is not RealID compliant. Are the older licenses issued by now-compliant states grandfathered, or should I start carrying my passport for fastest processing (and TSA pre-check)?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I suggest getting a passport card actually, as then you won't have TDCs flipping through your passport looking for stamps from countries with that funny scribble writing...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:42 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by lskohn
Question that I haven't seen addressed: Illinois is compliant now, I believe, but only for DLs issued after a certain date. My (valid) DL is 7 years old -- in 2009 when I renewed it, they were just putting stickers on the back with the new 2013 expiration date -- so it probably is not RealID compliant. Are the older licenses issued by now-compliant states grandfathered, or should I start carrying my passport for fastest processing (and TSA pre-check)?
There's a general misnomer that has been going around about it. STATES must be compliant by January of 2013, if your ID is from a state that is not compliant, it may not be accepted.

Most of the states are telling their residents that the actual ID's don't need to be compliant for them to go through security until 2017 (or December 2014, based on your age), so allow the normal renewal process to get to then and prevent a rush of everybody coming in all at once.

So if your state is one of the ones that is issuing compliant licenses, you should be OK. If your state is not one of the ones that is compliant and has not gotten an extension, they may not accept it as ID.

The current federal regulations impose three compliance dates – one for the state as a whole, and two for individuals based on age.

The state compliance date is Jan. 15, 2013. Under current federal regulations, a DL or ID card issued by a state that is not compliant by this date may not be accepted for federal official purposes. Federal “official purposes” are defined as boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft, accessing federal facilities that require identification to enter, and entering nuclear power plants.

The first individual compliance date is Dec. 1, 2014. On and after this date, a person born after Dec. 1, 1964, (younger than age 50 on Dec. 1, 2014) must have a DL or ID card that is marked as being compliant with the REAL ID Act to use it for federal official purposes.

The second individual compliance date is Dec. 1, 2017. On and after this date, a person born on or before Dec. 1, 1964, (age 50 or older on Dec. 1, 2014) must have a DL or ID card that is marked as being compliant with the REAL ID Act to use it for federal official purposes.

But for all those who are just screaming they won't be able to get on a plane after January 15th, the actual details of the implementation don't really matter, it doesn't cause the same uproar

The actual date each individual needs a complaint ID currently is based on what state you are in and when you were born. For some it's Jan 15, 2013, for others it's over five years away.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by 16A
You know what the dumb part of all this is? Those fake ID guys in China are probably churning out RealID compliant licenses that are indistinguishable from the real ones for less money and way less paperwork than you can get them at the local DMV. Drivers licenses should be for driving. If a person can't fly or walk into a federal building without endangering others then the correct place for them is jail.

^^
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by cordelli
There's a general misnomer that has been going around about it. STATES must be compliant by January of 2013, if your ID is from a state that is not compliant, it may not be accepted.

Most of the states are telling their residents that the actual ID's don't need to be compliant for them to go through security until 2017 (or December 2014, based on your age), so allow the normal renewal process to get to then and prevent a rush of everybody coming in all at once.

So if your state is one of the ones that is issuing compliant licenses, you should be OK. If your state is not one of the ones that is compliant and has not gotten an extension, they may not accept it as ID.

The current federal regulations impose three compliance dates – one for the state as a whole, and two for individuals based on age.

The state compliance date is Jan. 15, 2013. Under current federal regulations, a DL or ID card issued by a state that is not compliant by this date may not be accepted for federal official purposes. Federal “official purposes” are defined as boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft, accessing federal facilities that require identification to enter, and entering nuclear power plants.

The first individual compliance date is Dec. 1, 2014. On and after this date, a person born after Dec. 1, 1964, (younger than age 50 on Dec. 1, 2014) must have a DL or ID card that is marked as being compliant with the REAL ID Act to use it for federal official purposes.

The second individual compliance date is Dec. 1, 2017. On and after this date, a person born on or before Dec. 1, 1964, (age 50 or older on Dec. 1, 2014) must have a DL or ID card that is marked as being compliant with the REAL ID Act to use it for federal official purposes.

But for all those who are just screaming they won't be able to get on a plane after January 15th, the actual details of the implementation don't really matter, it doesn't cause the same uproar

The actual date each individual needs a complaint ID currently is based on what state you are in and when you were born. For some it's Jan 15, 2013, for others it's over five years away.
I know, such a long quote is bad form, but the info's so good it bears repeating. Thanks Mike! I'm good til my next renewal, it appears.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

If I understand this correctly, identification issued or renewed after 1/15/13 must be realID compliant (unless issued by a state that has been granted an extension) or it may not be accepted for federal official purposes. Individuals who's id's have not expired at this time will be ok with current id until a later date determined by their age. TSA's document checkers will know which states are non-compliant and will be able to determine if an id was renewed or issued after 1/15/13 and may not accept these id's but will accept those previously issued that have not expired.

After 12/1/14, all individuals younger than 50 years old must have realID compliant id for federal official purposes. If they are a resident of a non-compliant state, they will need to obtain another form of realID compliant ID (passport, etal) after 12/1/14 for federal official purposes. TSA's document checkers will check the birthdate on all id issued by non-compliant states and may not accept those id's belonging to the under fifty crowd, but will let the older crowd though as long as their id has not expired.

Uhm... while I'm sure there is no potential for confusion over acceptable id's at the checkpoints, we may need more document checkers in order to confirm the additional data points. Alternatively, we'll all just need to get to the airport/courthouse earlier.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Helllloooo...... ?! Earth to Mike. Is anyone home there?

I know (hope) its sarcasm. If not, we might need to seek out an intervention. You have some real serious issues with reality.

Funny. You made me laugh. I needed a good laugh. It was a joke? Right?
More of a dream, actually, but yes, a joke.

Mike
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Any focus on the meaning of:

(i) "may" and "will"; or

(ii) "may not" and "will not"

in some of the posts above give a clue into the lack of certainty about what the future holds.

What is clear: a variety of non-"Real ID" ID will still be accepted for a variety of federal government purposes regardless of the age of the ID holder and/or the US domicile of some such US persons (without "Real ID" ID); and inconsistency will continue to be part of the picture in dealing with the TSA's foolish obsession with ID and boarding pass checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.