Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
I just read through this thread and I'm still confused - I understand that January 15 is the deadline for whatever the heck this rule is, but does that mean that my MA DL will be "useless" as of that date, or just "extra-scrutinized?"
None of the above. 15 January 2013 is the deadline for states to turn in some paperwork, so far as I can tell. Nothing changes as far as ID acceptance until the end of 2014 for people under 50 years of age at that time.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: QFF
and again, what does address have to do with identity? Why is an address needed on the card?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:27 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by wesmills
None of the above. 15 January 2013 is the deadline for states to turn in some paperwork, so far as I can tell. Nothing changes as far as ID acceptance until the end of 2014 for people under 50 years of age at that time.
My understanding (with the standard IANAL disclaimer) is that January 2013 is the deadline for the state to be in compliance. All states are currently in "compliance" with the requirements, because they have met certain "benchmarks" established by DHS. However, if they do not get another extension, then they will not be in compliance at that time. December 1, 2014 is the deadline for each individual ID card to be in compliance, meaning that if the card is not compliant, then it is not accepted regardless of whether the state is compliant or not.

In other words, if a state is compliant by 2013, then they have until 2014 (or 2017 for those over 50) to issue compliant IDs to everyone. If they aren't, then their IDs can theoretically be rejected effective immediately.

Here is the final rulemaking if you anyone wants to read it: http://www.ncsl.org/Portals/1/docume...IDFinalReg.pdf
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
and again, what does address have to do with identity? Why is an address needed on the card?
I'm not sure why you keep repeating this question, but an address doesn't have anything to do with identity, just residence. A passport and passport card (along with several other accepted forms of ID, such as GE and NEXUS cards) both lack addresses.

The greater question of "why does a driver license have an address on the front" is likely a function of historical inertia. They've always had addresses on them so they continue to have addresses on them.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure why you keep repeating this question, but an address doesn't have anything to do with identity, just residence. A passport and passport card (along with several other accepted forms of ID, such as GE and NEXUS cards) both lack addresses.

The greater question of "why does a driver license have an address on the front" is likely a function of historical inertia. They've always had addresses on them so they continue to have addresses on them.
For a long time, KY had no address on the DL. When I would use mine at certain places, signing up at an auction was the one I remember, they would always have to ask my street address. It has only been in the last 10-15 years that they added it. But, then again, they also used to use my SS# for a long time as the DL number.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: QFF
I'm not sure why you keep repeating this question,
Because noone answered it last time.
but an address doesn't have anything to do with identity, just residence. A passport and passport card (along with several other accepted forms of ID, such as GE and NEXUS cards) both lack addresses.
And yet it is required for RealID compliant cards...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
The State of Florida says it's Jan 1 2014 when the feds will stop accepting non-RealID drivers licenses.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/realid/

My license is not a RealID compliant license since it doesn't have the gold star. It expires in 2020. FL says I can't renew it until 18 months before the expiration date. Even folks from RealID compliant states like FL are going to be screwed because the state won't give us a RealID license even if we wanted one.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Originally Posted by studentff
Got to make sure we have our papers in order. Sounds more like living in a police state than in the USA.
bingo!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Why does an address even need to be on a document able to be used as ID?
It doesn't. A passport has no address, neither does a Passport card or any of the Nexus/SENTRI/Global Entry cards.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:50 pm

The more proper question would be why the RealID-compliant driving licences (state ID cards) should have address and signature on them whilst RealID-compliant federal documents such as passport card or GE/Sentri do not? Logically, any federal identity document will always be RealID-compliant because it is issued by the federal government to satisfy its own security standards. Why should state IDs have stricter requirements?

On a side note, I am not an opponent of a national ID card because it tends to make my life easier with respect to proving my identity (from past life experience both inside the USA and abroad). The US government (particularly, USCIS) already has all my information. What would bother me is if my ID document from one jurisdiction would not be accepted by another jurisdiction - it is already happening (e.g., Arizona not accepting Washington non-Enhanced driving licences).
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think a driver's license/state ID has an address so that it can be used to prove residency. For example, if you are signing up for a library card or a bank account, you need to verify your address. If you use a passport or other ID without address, you would need to show a utility bill or other proof of address.

But in the case of REAL ID, I'm guessing it was just inertia. Every state currently includes home address on their ID cards, so the federal government requiring it doesn't really change anything.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
...but that logical explanation puts to rest a perfectly juicy conspiracy theory about Soviet putrification of our precious bodily fluids...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I love these threads where people say how impossible it is to get the stuff you need to get the ID.

I needed to show a passport or birth certificate, both of which I have (or one of several other primary documents)

I needed to show a secondary document, which since I was renewing my license, I used my current license, again something I already had. There were 15 other secondary choices

I needed to show my social security number, either with a card, or a W2 or 1099 issued within the last five years. Really, there are people out there who will be flying who can't produce either of those from the last five years if they currently don't have a social security card, something they can get for free by filling out a form?

I needed to verify my address by picking two things from a list of over a dozen items including postmarked mail I could mail to myself.

I think it took like five minutes to get all that stuff together, and another three to five minutes at renewal time for them to scan the envelopes and verify the SSN.

Most people can print out the list and collect the necessary documentation in a few minutes from stuff they already have.

The others can certainly get it without that much of a problem.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
I love these threads where people say how impossible it is to get the stuff you need to get the ID.

I needed to show a passport or birth certificate, both of which I have (or one of several other primary documents)

I needed to show a secondary document, which since I was renewing my license, I used my current license, again something I already had. There were 15 other secondary choices

I needed to show my social security number, either with a card, or a W2 or 1099 issued within the last five years. Really, there are people out there who will be flying who can't produce either of those from the last five years if they currently don't have a social security card, something they can get for free by filling out a form?

I needed to verify my address by picking two things from a list of over a dozen items including postmarked mail I could mail to myself.

I think it took like five minutes to get all that stuff together, and another three to five minutes at renewal time for them to scan the envelopes and verify the SSN.

Most people can print out the list and collect the necessary documentation in a few minutes from stuff they already have.

The others can certainly get it without that much of a problem.
The list of acceptable id's to renew a driver's license does not include the driver's license or state issued id that is expiring (not in Florida at any rate according to the article quoted below)... do the requirements differ from state to state???). Other documents must now be produced to verify the legitimacy of your old expiring ID. The average person may have little issue producing all the necessary documentation, but there are plenty of non-terrorists that will have difficulty with one or more of the new requirements. I have not heard that mailing an envelope to yourself is an acceptable proof of address (you could mail it to a friend's address), only that it must be from a bill in your name or a bank account.

Documentation now required under The REAL ID Act as proof of identity include a state-issued (not hospital) birth certificate, valid passport, naturalization document, or consular proof of birth abroad. All documents must be original or certified from the source. Non-U.S. residents must provide proof of status within the country.

For proof of a Social Security number, an original Social Security card, W-2 or 1099 form, or recent paycheck can be provided.

For proof of home address, two documents indicating the address, including a mortgage deed, utility bill, voter registration card, insurance card, W-2 or 1099 form, or bank statement can be provided.

For proof of legal name change, an original or certified copy of a marriage certificate (not church issued) or court order showing name change can be provided.

Without exception, all qualifying documents must be presented to renew or obtain a driver license or state identification card. Under limited circumstances, a temporary permit can be issued while gathering required documents.

Supporters of The REAL ID Act claim that the new documentation requirements add security to driver license and state identification holders as they will not be able to board an aircraft or enter federal buildings without a Real ID-compliant license or identification card starting in 2014.

Critics of The REAL ID Act claim the new law will weaken security of personal information by placing it in a national data base subject to access nationwide.

While The REAL ID Act of 2005 is currently the law in Florida and a dozen other states, opposition is building in Congress to repeal it. Although in the minority as approximately 37 states have prohibited implementation of the new law, compliance is now a must here in the Sunshine state.

Last edited by loops; Nov 26, 2012 at 6:05 pm Reason: oops... grammatical problem
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by loops
The list of acceptable id's to renew a driver's license do not include the driver's license or state issued id that is expiring
Really?

So when this is listed as a secondary ID for a real ID to renew a license, they are what, just making it up?

SECONDARY document list
Out of State US photo driver license
US Territory or Canadian photo driver license
Out of State US or Canadian issued photo learner permit
Connecticut issued non-driver identification card, driver license
or learner permit

(Your driver license or ID may be required to be surrendered)

I may be mistaken, but I'm almost certain that in the part I highlighted in Red you can in fact use a driver license as a secondary ID. Or an ID card, or a learner permit.

In Florida, you don't even need a secondary ID, just a primary one, so I'm not really sure why that is even part of the discussion.

Try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.