Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement for speaking your name?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
I thought Hot Shots! Part Deux was the Top Gun sequel.
A) Hot Shots! Part Deux was an awesome movie.

B) Got the name game at pre-check at JFK today, terminal D. Seriously? I thought we were done with this crap.

Added bonus: pre-check line had 15-20 people in it but they were still sending non-pre-check customers through. Then, the TSO by the WTMD started complaining that customers didn't know the procedures and were holding up the lines.

Mike
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef

B) Got the name game at pre-check at JFK today, terminal D. Seriously? I thought we were done with this crap.

Added bonus: pre-check line had 15-20 people in it but they were still sending non-pre-check customers through. Then, the TSO by the WTMD started complaining that customers didn't know the procedures and were holding up the lines.

Mike
You might think that there are enough LTSOs and STSOs milling around talking and playing games on their cellphones, surely one of them has the time to actually coordinate 'managed inclusion' activities, but I guess not.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:04 pm

Mike
S'pose Ross would be true to his word and follow-through on a complaint from you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23439494-post220.html
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:19 pm

Last week while flying out of Sacramento, the ID checker would not hand my ticket and ID back until I responded to his "Are you having a good day?" question. He asked three times before I sighed and said I was having a day.

That is some power trip he is on! Wish I hadn't been traveling for work. I just might have stood my ground and refused to answer.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I noticed the same antics at SMF a couple months ago. I forgot what the clerk was asking, but I just shrugged my shoulders and got into a staring contest until my ID was handed back. They really wanted some kind of response but it wasn't going to happen.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's been awhile since our TSA friend has posted here. It's entirely possible that the rules have changed since the last time he posted and asking you to say your name or declare your citizenship or answer some other random question (are you happy today?) is now part of the process.

FWIW, I really dislike those questions. If I'm having a bad day, I still feel like I have to lie and answer in the affirmative and try to make a smile. I'm afraid if I don't I might be subject to retaliation.

For those eligible for Pre, it can lead to a suspension of privileges for being 'confrontational' with a TSO.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by petaluma1
S'pose Ross would be true to his word and follow-through on a complaint from you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23439494-post220.html
I sent him a PM. Last time he checked FT was about a month ago, but there's always hope.

Mike
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mike
If you protest, the Party will rescind the privilege they granted you.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:04 am

I sent him a PM. Last time he checked FT was about a month ago, but there's always hope.

Mike
Or send an e-mail: [email protected]
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoMoreFlying
"Are you having a good day?"
I was. It ended about 5 seconds ago.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:01 pm

Angry

E very time I get asked that I say that in my "swedish" way. Nobody gets that and asks me to say it in an american way???
I thought the purpose of this was to say you name in your language ?!

If you dont dont that is fraud. A nd that is what "they" want to catch.

You just cant please everybody. SIGH.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by tanja
E very time I get asked that I say that in my "swedish" way. Nobody gets that and asks me to say it in an american way???
I thought the purpose of this was to say you name in your language ?!

If you dont dont that is fraud. A nd that is what "they" want to catch.

You just cant please everybody. SIGH.
The answer is to say there is no "American way". Just continue to speak your name in Swedish.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:43 am

Last this happened to me, I just mumbled something incoherent that didn't even closely resemble my name, and he handed my BP and ID back. LOL
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Maybe they're just checking if you're carrying something in your mouth.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AKC6
Maybe they're just checking if you're carrying something in your mouth.
If that's the case, maybe they should require you to fart in their general direction as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.