Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement for speaking your name?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I agree that the policy is completely senseless, and does nothing for security. However, I consider it nothing more than a nuisance, and not some grave violation of human rights like being forced into slavery or bussed to another school or whatever. That is what my common sense tells me.

Can you come up with a single example of someone being prevented from boarding a plane by the TSA because they had laryngitis or didn't speak English?
Who said anything about slavery?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:53 pm

I don't see the right to board a plane without stating your name listed in the constitution.
I suggest your looking at this differently than the others. It's not that flying is a right. The point is... when you fly, you still have rights. The government questioning and searching you invades your privacy. What makes this an unconstitutional invasion of privacy and/or unreasonable search is based on many things. These include being necessary, effective, and the least intrusive method.

The name game is neither necessary nor effective (you said this yourself). Therefore, IMO, it is unconstitutional and worth the effort to protest against.

YMMV
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Houston.Business
Let's face the facts here. TSA is the worst thing to happen in the name of Security, but the facts are, that we need some sort of Security. The name game, IMO, is the least of the problems.

As I hand my ID & BP over, I immediately state - Last name / First name / Middle initial / Destination airport. Usually there's a slight shock wave, and a moment of silence.

Then I hear, Why are you going to Chicago?

I say "That's Classified"

They say something like, "What do you mean?" or "Classified?????"

I say "When I leave the secure area of my destination airport, it's no ones business what I do or where I go.

and off I go to opt-out. You know the rest.
I'm flying to get extra miles, might be a good response.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:59 pm

As another reason to see why this policy is idiotic, see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...l#post17150329
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I view it as an issue of integrity and honesty.

If I look up the information on what is required to enter the screening process I find simply that I need to submit my name and certain personal information to my airline. If that passes, they issue a boarding pass and I must present that to the TDC with a matching government issued ID.

There is no published requirement that I state my name.

There is no published requirement that I give them information about my travel plans.

They tell me what is required and then they change it at a point in which I am committed to the process and can only change my mind at a cost of time and likely money.

This is considered dishonest to the point that it is illegal in business to advertise the condition of a sale and then change those conditions when the customer arrives at the business.

If I enter into a verbal contract with a customer, and I operate on verbal contracts all of the time, and I make additional requirements of my customer to fulfill the contract at the point that I perform the service, I am in breach of my verbal contract and as such have operated unethically at best and illegally at worst.

If I were to call my regular car dealer, the one that has sold me the last six cars I have bought, and they price the car over the phone, if I were to show up at the dealer and they say, of course that is the price, but there are additional options that I will have to buy, what they have done is unethical and likely illegal.

Yet, that is what the TSA does. They state what is required and then they change it. This is unethical and illegal in most situations. Except for the TSA.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I don't see the right to board a plane without stating your name listed in the constitution.
I don't see the right to wear a purple shirt listed in the Constitution. Yet I have that right.

I don't see the right to kiss my husband listed in the Constitution. Yet I have that right.

I don't see the right to hum while I clean the house listed in the Constitution. Yet...

The Bill of Rights, despite the name, is not a comprehensive list of all the rights afforded to persons in the US. It is, instead, a list of limitations upon government; not what citizens MAY do, but what the government must NOT do.

The part you're looking for, where it says you have a right to board a plane without saying your name, is here:

IX. The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
and
X. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:45 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by chollie
TSA has made it clear that being unable (or unwilling - TSA will assume this) to speak will not necessarily bar a pax from the 'sterile' area.

However, refusing (or being unable) to speak will result in a thorough secondary that may or may not bear a strong resemblance to a punitive action. IIRC, TSA's spokesperson indicated that the secondary would include further questioning (!) by BDO's + comprehensive body and bag searches.

In other words, TSA will assume that a pax who doesn't speak is refusing to speak and will react accordingly.
Once again, can you give an example? Can you dig up a story about someone who was given a secondary screening because they were unable (not unwilling) to say their name?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:51 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Think about it in a different direction.

The "say your name" check doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose, at least to this observer. Which means that the money being spent by the US government in order to perform this useless check is being wasted. In an era in which the US government is $14 trillion in debt, one might argue that fighting against wasteful spending is a legitimate cause.
That's a fair argument, but does each individual citizen have the right to determine what spending is wasteful and what isn't? I think the road they are building in my city isn't necessary, so am I justified in interfering with the construction process?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:36 am

Once again, can you give an example? Can you dig up a story about someone who was given a secondary screening because they were unable (not unwilling) to say their name?
I can. At SFO, I was unwilling to say my name out loud. I offered to write it down and was refused. I was whisked off for a pre-screening and more questions. I then went through the regular process, only to magically be randomly selected and screened again.

I told a story yesterday of a man being yelled at by TSA (he was deaf) for not saying his name. He was a pre-board and this fiasco delayed boarding for everyone for a couple of minutes. If it weren't for the sane passengers around this individual helping, he would surely have been publicly humiliated even more than he was. He wasn't being allow to board the plane without stating his name. I'm surprised he didn't get a field pat down.

I answered your question. Do you care to discuss the responses and questions put to you about rights and such?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Just answer the question. Picking a fight with TSA (whom I detest) at the airport is absolutely pointless, albeit satisfying. It really is a futile exercise singling yourself out for special attention. The battle is not fought at the airport, it needs to be fought outside it.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:44 am

That's a fair argument, but does each individual citizen have the right to determine what spending is wasteful and what isn't? I think the road they are building in my city isn't necessary, so am I justified in interfering with the construction process?
YES

You have the right to peacefully demonstrate against any waste, fraud, abuse, unjust act, etc. That's one of our rights too. @:-)

For example, roads are often built over people's property. The property owner's have a right and often an obligation to protest. They get their day in court like everyone else. Some sit idle by and let the government that can do no wrong do whatever it wants.

Where the lines are drawn between complaining, peaceful protest, interfering, and violent protest are hotly debated. YMM, of course, V, widely.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Just answer the question. Picking a fight with TSA (whom I detest) at the airport is absolutely pointless, albeit satisfying. It really is a futile exercise singling yourself out for special attention. The battle is not fought at the airport, it needs to be fought outside it.
The battle didn't need to be fought in the back of the bus. Rosa could have simply voted for better representation.

I'll answer the question. Resistance is not futile. I am a free person and will continue to speak out against what I see as government waste and unreasonable actions. The fact that they purposefully retaliate against people who speak their mind is proof that what they are doing is wrong. I do this so that they will notice. If they don't maybe someone around me will. A groundswell also starts with a few that see wrong and try to change it.

Interesting game. Tic tac toe. You want to play too? Just answer my question: How do you propose we stop this madness and what, precisely, have you done about it? The TSA would want you to "go away" and protest somewhere else. Why would you? Please explain.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by PHLflying
come up with a really long complex story about how you are going there to see an ex lover and give all the juicy and complex details. that would be fun.
Or tell him you're going there to meet his wife. "You know how she just loves the Chicago Ritz Carlton."
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
Or tell him you're going there to meet his wife. "You know how she just loves the Chicago Ritz Carlton."
If we start the slippery slope of momma/wife jokes, we're going to need a new thread!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ScatterX
The battle didn't need to be fought in the back of the bus. Rosa could have simply voted for better representation.

I'll answer the question. Resistance is not futile. I am a free person and will continue to speak out against what I see as government waste and unreasonable actions. The fact that they purposefully retaliate against people who speak their mind is proof that what they are doing is wrong. I do this so that they will notice. If they don't maybe someone around me will. A groundswell also starts with a few that see wrong and try to change it.

Interesting game. Tic tac toe. You want to play too? Just answer my question: How do you propose we stop this madness and what, precisely, have you done about it? The TSA would want you to "go away" and protest somewhere else. Why would you? Please explain.
Resistance at the airport is totally futile. You make a point to yourself, maybe one or two others, and slow yourself down for self-satisfaction - if that is what you want then fair play to you. If the USA cannot, or does not know how to, get itself organized and work out where it needs to direct pressure then just suck it all up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.