Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Cancer Patients Abused by TSA [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancer Patients Abused by TSA [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems TSA has gone silent on this horrible episode of TSA Passenger Abuse.

Screeners should be held legally accountable if they violate screening standards.
TSA issued a statement. It was her fault that their screening cause her "distress" and that their magic private room healed her of all distress. Case closed. The clerk will live to grope another day.

I reached out to the TSA to get their reaction to the video. They sent me this statement: "The Transportation Security Administration takes reports of alleged impropriety very seriously. TSA reviewed what occurred during the screening of Ms. Denise Albert at LAX on December 4 that caused a stressful situation for Ms. Albert. Ms. Albert was eventually provided a private screening environment with a witness in attendance that resolved the situation. TSA deeply regrets the distress this additional security screening caused Ms. Albert. We have spoken directly to Ms. Albert to address her concerns."
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Another interview: http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/12...-hill-intv.hln
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:39 am

Denise Albert

Ms. Albert has joined the ranks of those whom TSA has asked to advise on treatment of passengers with medical issues. How long before she, too, becomes disillusioned?

http://ht.ly/mWk530es5zG

‪So, please, watch the video. Know your rights. Pass this along. Remember, the TSA is here to protect us. Not hurt us. As a mom, I am very proud that my children know that I stood up for my rights and because of it others will be helped in the future.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Our news media is pathetic.

Why didn't someone ask TSA how long the aggressive TSO has been employed? and if she has already been to the 'academy' for her two-week vacay/refresher course?

The truth is, she was doing exactly what she was trained to do - she was exercising her 'screener discretion' to decide to break this woman down. We know the screener wasn't doing anything wrong because not a single other screener - TSO, LTSO or STSO - saw anything unusual or wrong or spoke up.

It appeared that when it looked like the police might get involved, suddenly two supervisors appeared to resolve the situation. I guess they were done playing with their cellphones or their personal conversation.

The same thing happened to me during a particularly awful experience. No supervisors anywhere. I demanded the police and all of a sudden an LTSO was available to 'resolve' the situation.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Ms. Albert has joined the ranks of those whom TSA has asked to advise on treatment of passengers with medical issues. How long before she, too, becomes disillusioned?

http://ht.ly/mWk530es5zG
I don't understand why she's thanking TSA or why she agreed to do a minute-long puff-piece video that shows idealized, staged screening and says nothing specific about what she went through or what actions TSA claims to have taken to prevent it from happening again.

And of course, the TSA youtube video doesn't allow comments so there is no way to link to Ms. Albert's original complete story or video. That is what people need to read and see.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by studentff
I don't understand why she's thanking TSA or why she agreed to do a minute-long puff-piece video that shows idealized, staged screening and says nothing specific about what she went through or what actions TSA claims to have taken to prevent it from happening again.

And of course, the TSA youtube video doesn't allow comments so there is no way to link to Ms. Albert's original complete story or video. That is what people need to read and see.
Why is it that when TSA puts out a video of its "pat down" procedure they fail to show the multiple rubs of the buttock and the hands in the genitals portion of the procedure? What are they afraid of?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by studentff

She's thanking TSA because she believes it won't happen to her again, and maybe it won't happen to other women.

Like everything else, these matters are 100% up to the individual screener.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:52 am

Here's the latest update on the Denise Albert saga:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/10/05/...denise-alberts

When we saw Denise on television discussing her experience, we realized that she was trying to educate others with medical conditions about the security screening process. We reached out to Denise and asked if she would be willing to help us produce a travel tips video for cancer patients. She was immediately onboard and driving the effort every step of the way; from reviewing the script to assisting with post production.
Interestingly, Burns neglected to include any link to Ms. Albert's original reporting on the incident so to refresh your memories, here it is:

http://people.com/bodies/denise-albe...er-medication/

Does anyone think that anything has changed with TSA and that like Ms. Williamson (mother of the young boy who had to endure a prolonged grope) she was just used to shut her up?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Here's the latest update on the Denise Albert saga:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/10/05/...denise-alberts

Interestingly, Burns neglected to include any link to Ms. Albert's original reporting on the incident so to refresh your memories, here it is:

http://people.com/bodies/denise-albe...er-medication/

Does anyone think that anything has changed with TSA and that like Ms. Williamson (mother of the young boy who had to endure a prolonged grope) she was just used to shut her up?
You noticed, I hope, that TSA takes no blame for what happened that day. Just more telling the traveler that they may receive a pat down or such. And why should a passenger need to contact TSA Cares Help Line 72 hours before going to the airport? Aren't all TSA employees properly trained?

A feel good video produced by TSA doesn't fix the underlying problem of poorly trained, uncaring TSA screeners.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad I read and viewed this on an empty stomach. Cancer aside, she comes from a long line of radio and television personalities, so I guess it's in her DNA to want to be in front of a camera. It's going to have to be up to us to fill up the comment section with the rest of the story.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Glad I read and viewed this on an empty stomach. Cancer aside, she comes from a long line of radio and television personalities, so I guess it's in her DNA to want to be in front of a camera. It's going to have to be up to us to fill up the comment section with the rest of the story.
"Rest of the story" - like why did the screener's one hand block the view of the patdown of the breast area, why didn't the video of the patdown show the screeners hands/fingers in the "passenger's" genital area, does anyone truly believe that the screener got new gloves to do the patdown? The whole thing was a joke.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:31 am

When we saw Denise on television discussing her experience, we realized that she was trying to educate others with medical conditions about the security screening process. We reached out to Denise and asked if she would be willing to help us produce a travel tips video for cancer patients. She was immediately onboard and driving the effort every step of the way; from reviewing the script to assisting with post production.
Since my diagnos(e)s, I have logged even more kilometres than I did in a usual high of very frequent travel. I have been to even more unusual corners of the world, using every possible day to explore the world. (In the past year, I did have one trip to the US, and one transit through the US)

I resumed travel less than two weeks after five surgeries, one of which was extremely invasive and significant.

In all that time, I have not needed a travel tips video. I simply tell the person manning the screening belt that I am unable to use the scanning device, and the person doing the pat down that I have a number of extremely large scars.

In the rest of the world, my experience has been neutral to positive. I have been treated with kindness and consideration, and given countless well wishes for a good recovery. In MUC, we have a new type of MMW, and I was reassured by airport management that 'This is not America' and that I can continue to decline the machine and request a (public, non-invasive) pat down.

This thread sickens me, especially now that my role has changed from ordinary FTer to one with significantly more insight into the challenges some face when travelling.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
Since my diagnos(e)s, I have logged even more kilometres than I did in a usual high of very frequent travel. I have been to even more unusual corners of the world, using every possible day to explore the world. (In the past year, I did have one trip to the US, and one transit through the US)

I resumed travel less than two weeks after five surgeries, one of which was extremely invasive and significant.

In all that time, I have not needed a travel tips video. I simply tell the person manning the screening belt that I am unable to use the scanning device, and the person doing the pat down that I have a number of extremely large scars.

In the rest of the world, my experience has been neutral to positive. I have been treated with kindness and consideration, and given countless well wishes for a good recovery. In MUC, we have a new type of MMW, and I was reassured by airport management that 'This is not America' and that I can continue to decline the machine and request a (public, non-invasive) pat down.

This thread sickens me, especially now that my role has changed from ordinary FTer to one with significantly more insight into the challenges some face when travelling.
I would hope that you would post a comment to the TSA Blog with these sentiments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.