Can TSA officers carry guns on duty?

Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cbn42
I'm not referring to taking a gun past the checkpoint like Crabtree did. I'm talking about carrying a gun on one's person while working at the checkpoint.
No! Absolutely not! They won't allowed it. They could get real big trouble from TSA. It's not permitted. Never carry a loaded gun past at TSA checkpoint.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Can you cite the law?

From what I can see, Arizona's general gun laws allow anyone to carry a gun almost anywhere they want. Federal law bans guns in the secure area of the airport, but not outside. Therefore, TSA staff would be permitted to carry guns outside the secure area, unless there is a law specifically saying otherwise. So I am wondering if anyone knows what this law is.
Or a rule set by the TSA for their employees. My employer has a policy in place that says I can not bring a firearm into my workplace. I am obliged to obey that policy. My guess would be that TSA has a similar policy for anybody that is not sworn law enforcement personnel.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it was a TSO. I'm talking about the people with the blue shirts that check your ID and watch the monitors as the bags go through the x-ray.
I just wanted to be sure. No, they don't get to carry in that circumstance (unless they are LE working an undercover theft sting operation ).

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Or a rule set by the TSA for their employees. My employer has a policy in place that says I can not bring a firearm into my workplace. I am obliged to obey that policy. My guess would be that TSA has a similar policy for anybody that is not sworn law enforcement personnel.
TSOs work in the sterile area, so policy is a moot matter as it would be against the law for them to carry there.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Oh, OK, I wasn't sure if TSA had that as an internal policy. Do you have proof of this? Or is it SSI?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by Ari

TSOs work in the sterile area, so policy is a moot matter as it would be against the law for them to carry there.
This is almost assuredly the definitive answer.

Oh, OK, I wasn't sure if TSA had that as an internal policy. Do you have proof of this? Or is it SSI?
I don't have proof, but TSOs are civilian employees, they're not sworn law enforcement. Allowing them to carry firearms even in areas that they were legally allowed to based on local or state laws would open up liability issues that I'm sure TSA doesn't want to deal with. I've worked for two police departments in AZ, both had pretty strict policies against civilian (non-sworn) employees bringing firearms onto department or city property. I just don't see the TSA having a looser policy for their screeners and allowing them to carry firearms at their place of employment.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:17 am

Deleted... The whole point of this post has been removed from the thread.

Last edited by StanSimmons; Oct 8, 2012 at 9:43 am Reason: discussion of moderation
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:30 am

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Arizona Revised Statutes 13-3119: Misconduct involving weapons in a secured area of an airport.

13-3119. Misconduct involving weapons in a secured area of an airport; classification; definitions
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by intentionally carrying, possessing or exercising control over a deadly weapon in a secured area of an airport.
B. This section does not apply to:
1. A peace officer or a federally sworn officer while in the actual performance of the officer's duties.
2. A member of the military forces of the United States or of any state of the United States in the actual performance of the member's official duties.
3. An individual who is authorized by a federal agency in the actual performance of the individual's official duties.
4. General aviation areas not included in the security identification display area or sterile area as defined in the airport security program approved by the transportation security administration.
5. The lawful transportation of deadly weapons in accordance with state and federal law.
C. A violation of this section is a class 1 misdemeanor.
D. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Deadly weapon" has the same meaning prescribed in section 13-105.
2. "Secured area of an airport" means any area of an airport specified in an airport security program that is authorized and approved by the United States transportation security administration pursuant to 49 United States Code section 44903(h)(7)(F) and defined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations section 1540.5.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
some Transportation Security Inspectors
TSI folks don't carry....
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Bingo....

TSA/DHS will not allow TSO to carry due to it not being a LEO job....

Further, there are policies in place like all federal agencies (and lots of employers) stating they can't carry and they will be dealt with accordingly if they get caught.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
TSI folks don't carry....
Perhaps I have been misinformed but I thought some, but not all, TSI's did have LEO status.

The TSA Special Investigators that visited two bloggers after a poorly redacted version of the screening manual turned up I believe were LEO types.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
If I believed a screener may have suggested he was in possession of a firearm, wouldn't it be my responsibility (regardless of whatever possesion legalities existed) to IMMEDIATELY call for police and law enforcement out of an abundance of caution, after all, 'See Something, Say Something' , right?

I mean, if a screener thought a passenger was armed wouldn't TSA immediately set off all the alarm bells against such a threat?

Food for thought...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: The usual suspects
I thought TSA employees did not have to be screened through security in order to get to work at the checkpoint. Other airport employees as well are reportedly not screened.

How would anyone know the employee was carrying?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
I thought TSA employees did not have to be screened through security in order to get to work at the checkpoint. Other airport employees as well are reportedly not screened.

How would anyone know the employee was carrying?
Several potential ways:

Some heeled screeners would not be able to resist the temptation to pull out their bang sticks and show them off to their screener friends.

Some would be packin' poorly, and the bulge would show.

A few would be carryin' clumsily, and the rod would fall out of its hiding place, perhaps in a bathroom stall, or on the floor of their breakroom.

Still others might actually jerk their piece intentionally, during an argument with a coworker, or on their way to or from work.

This is all theoretical, of course. In actual practice, you bring the gun to work unloaded and a co-worker sees it in your bag when you reach for your ID (see Alvin Crabtree).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by StanSimmons
First, no one (except LEO's or Military on duty, and a very limited group of others such as specific pilots with government issued handguns) is allowed in the secured area of any commercial airport with a firearm.
The pilots (FFDOs) have to keep their firearm locked in a dangerous TSA-designed holster (that was the root cause of the negligent discharge on a US flight several years ago) anytime they are in a place other than the cockpit. Never mind that they have final authority for anything that happens aboard the aircraft, not just the cockpit. The individual FFDOs are not issued firearms, they bear the cost of what the TSA approves. Every now and then there is a sale, just Google "FFDO firearm sale"

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Perhaps I have been misinformed but I thought some, but not all, TSI's did have LEO status.

The TSA Special Investigators that visited two bloggers after a poorly redacted version of the screening manual turned up I believe were LEO types.
I think you're confusing TSIs - Transportation Security Inspectors, with whomever paid a visit to the bloggers. It was a TSI that damaged all those aircraft in MDW four years ago when they used the pitot tubes and AOA vanes as a jungle gym to climb aboard. The thought of someone like that being issued a firearm is downright scary.

EDIT: Officer.com thread about TSI's:
No gun for them, I guess.

Good news; this guy wont get a chance to break any airplanes.
Bad news: this guy is wearing a blue shirt with a badge at the airport.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 7, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reason: reference to deleted post
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Once & for all TSA "clerks" are NOT leos & do NOT carry weapons

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.