Downs Syndrome is a security risk!

Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Downs Syndrome is a security risk!

http://freeproxyserver.net/index.php...aXJwbGFuZS8%3D

Though the child was rebooked on another flight, this was a seriously wrong call by the airline.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by bluenotesro
http://freeproxyserver.net/index.php...aXJwbGFuZS8%3D

Though the child was rebooked on another flight, this was a seriously wrong call by the airline.
I can't get hat ink to work. For me, it just goes to the site's home page.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I can't get hat ink to work. For me, it just goes to the site's home page.
Drudge has a working link.

I don't see how this ends well for the airline.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
It stinks of a passenger (or several) complaining because they didn't want that kid in first class. Disgusting behavior by the airline in any case, and by any pax that complained because a Down's Syndrome boy was up front with them.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
It stinks of a passenger (or several) complaining because they didn't want that kid in first class. Disgusting behavior by the airline in any case, and by any pax that complained because a Down's Syndrome boy was up front with them.
+1

The boy was such a security risk that he could fly on another flight with different passengers. Sounds a little like a sheeple not wanting the kid on their flight or in their "class" of seating. What year is this again, 1812?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
While it's certainly possible at someone just complained I would think it would have to be a very important person for the airline to remove the family if the boy was just sitting there quietly.

From what I've read e airline claims the kid was running around. I read a quote that the mom said he was acting no different from a 4-5 year old kid (not sure about this though). If that's the case, I could understand a determination that a large 16 year old acting like a 4-5 year old, particularly if running around, would pose a risk.

Yes, I understand the story says the kid was sitting quietly, very calm, a model citizen, and a frequent flier. But consider the source, a family who has apparently already said they plan on suing.

Yes, airlines need to be cognizant of those with disabilities and doubtless have a long way to go. But is doesn't extend indefinitely. If this was a drunk 26 year old who was acting like a 4-5 year old, running around and causing a scene, removed from the flight despite his friends saying that he would just fall asleep once he gets a snack, would anyone complain?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:14 pm

link: http://overheadbin.nbcnews.com/_news...es-flight?lite
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:19 pm

+1 mgchan.

He was running around at the gate. I think the airline was just trying to keep everyone calm. Had it happened on the plane all the passengers would have complained that the airline didn't do anything about it when they knew it was going to be a problem at the gate.

I have no issue with them flying later... it gave the kid time to calm down.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The father seems a bit paranoid if he actually believes United set up a buffer zone around them so they would not talk to the other passengers about their experience with AA.

Vanderhorst said they were seated in the last row of the plane and noticed that the immediate rows in front of them and next to them were empty.
"We were put in the back seat of the bus and there was a buffer zone around us," he said. "I dont think the airlines wanted us chatting with our fellow passengers about what had just happened at American Airlines."

I believe there's probably way more to the story than he is saying.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by mgchan
While it's certainly possible at someone just complained I would think it would have to be a very important person for the airline to remove the family if the boy was just sitting there quietly.

From what I've read e airline claims the kid was running around. I read a quote that the mom said he was acting no different from a 4-5 year old kid (not sure about this though). If that's the case, I could understand a determination that a large 16 year old acting like a 4-5 year old, particularly if running around, would pose a risk.

Yes, I understand the story says the kid was sitting quietly, very calm, a model citizen, and a frequent flier. But consider the source, a family who has apparently already said they plan on suing.

Yes, airlines need to be cognizant of those with disabilities and doubtless have a long way to go. But is doesn't extend indefinitely. If this was a drunk 26 year old who was acting like a 4-5 year old, running around and causing a scene, removed from the flight despite his friends saying that he would just fall asleep once he gets a snack, would anyone complain?
So you're equating a boy with a major intellectual disability with a drunk?

In the articles I've seen, the mother is quoted as saying her son has the mental capacity of a 4 to 5 year old child. It's pretty common for kids of that mental age to get excited before a flight and maybe goof off in the gate area, yet not all of them are deemed security risks.

And at 5'1" the boy is not large for 16. In fact, my average sized 12 yr old is taller than that.

Let's see if the airline can produce any video footage to support a claim that the boy posed a risk to the flight.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:32 am

A 160 lb boy with DS running? Really?

I don't for a second believe he was running around disruptively. Even thin children with DS have difficulty running much due to problems with low muscle tone and problems with balance. He is not thin and would have an even harder time with running. She said he is mentally like a 4-5 year old. Physically I guarantee not at all. He probably is only about as strong as a seven year old. I think the most likely explanation is that someone was creeped out and the agent tried to make that person happy not thinking that there would be resistance. They then came up with a story to defend their decision. Hopefully someday they will have an opportunity to get to know someone with DS and have a change of heart.

Originally Posted by mgchan

Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:03 am

Definitely almost impossible to know what really happened from reading that article.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
I can easily imagine some first-class passengers complaining about a fellow first-class passenger being of the wrong skin tone or appearing to be a "blue collar" type; in the past, has anyone ever been ejected from first class for not having the proper physical and socioeconomic characteristics?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This happened at the gate, they did an upgrade at the kiosk to First Class.

How would any of the other passengers even have known they were in first class? I don't think they would have, so I seriously doubt it was a passenger complaint. I am starting to think the airlines story may make more sense, they saw somebody and asked about them, when told they were sitting in first class the pilot said not on my plane.

But with the little information released (and it's doubtful AA will release any video of a child with Downs acting up at the gate even if they had it) there's no where near enough information to draw any conclusions.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Story here

I've hated AA since 1992.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.