Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Next time I fly I need to be sure to wear a shirt referencing "bombs" and "terrorists" so I can complain on flyertalk when I am denied boarding. What an idiot!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I'm not really understanding what harm people believed the picture and words were going to cause, and how they were going to cause it. Can you enlighten me?
Everyone knows that modern Bad Guys wear shirts that mock airport security.

What seems to be missing in this discussion is an acknowledgment than anyone wearing a T-shirt with any words (or images creating a message) is seeking attention for that message. At a workshop on choosing clothes to suit your body type, a presenter described a young woman who had complained that people were always staring at her chest. She then showed a picture of this woman, wearing her typical outfit: a t-shirt with a colorful slogan prominently displayed across the bosom. The presenter's conclusion: if you put words there, people are going to look at it. If you wear a t-shirt with a slogan, you are asking people to read your message.

So of course he was wearing the t-shirt to attract attention and send a message. He was mocking the cowardice of the AFS crowd, and the absurd TSA response to it. (I love the eagle holding the shoes and the water bottle.) If you're going to protest such things, where else would you do it? (Yeah, sure, go to the grocery store or the library and take your stand about airport security. )

And seriously, DL and Buffalo PD, when you're panicking over something that even TSA didn't worry about, you need therapy.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:06 pm

Too many people are too easily 'offended' these days. Quite pathetic.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
he's an idiot. plain and simple. don't wear stupid s*** that a lot of other people don't know the meaning of when it could be construed the wrong way
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I worry about people who wear crosses and other religious symbols on planes.
To me, that indicates that they are only too willing and ready to die so that they can meet their deity. Thus, they may try to bring down the plane in flight, which isn't fair to those of us who have no deity to resurrect us after the plane crash.

I want all religious symbols banned from all flights. It's only reasonable.

People who openly wear religious symbols are just looking for attention, right?
^^^
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
What seems to be missing in this discussion is an acknowledgment than anyone wearing a T-shirt with any words (or images creating a message) is seeking attention for that message.
I don't actually think that's the issue (as far as all the attacks on him for "seeking attention" are concerned). The claims that he is seeking attention are just ways to delegitimize him. The criticism is a way for the speaker to attribute illegitimate motivations for acts he doesn't like or disagrees with. The "seeking attention" isn't the key; it's the attempt of the speaker to act as an arbiter of what motivations are and aren't legitimate.

A is just doing B in order to C

It doesn't matter what "C" is, you can put anything in there you want. The point is that the statement is usually irrelevant. It usually doesn't matter why somebody does something; what matters is what they do and the effect it has.

He wore a shirt. The shirt had no capacity to harm the aircraft. Why he wore it is therefore irrelevant.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:25 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by pbarnette
A slippery slope in what way? Is there some grave risk in DL seeking to ensure the comfort of the majority of their passengers as opposed to the exceedingly limited minority out to make a nuisance of themselves? I've seen folks kicked out of bars for making an ... out of themselves and annoying those around them. They weren't a danger to anyone, just obnoxious. I suppose that is a slippery slope, too?
Do you mean that the person in your analogy is kicked out of the bar for "annoying other people" simply based on what he is wearing? Because if someone is kicked out for wearing a shirt I don't like ("Romney 2012!"), I think it is not legitimate.

In this case, a pax was denied boarding b/c other pax were scared by his shirt. And oh, forgot to mention, his skin is brown.

Last October, I saw a skinhead strolling through SLC airport with a big ol' swastika tattoed into his skull. If he was on my flight (he wasn't), could I claim that I felt threatened and expect him to be pulled off? No... if I had such an issue, I should deplane myself, not the neo-Nazi.

Point is that I don't think Pax A should be denied boarding b/c other pax are made nervous by him, especially if it is due to his t-shirt.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The state actors didn't deny him boarding. His contractual right to fly may have been violated by DL who did deny him boarding -- although I expect a settlement likely from DL if he pushed the matter as much as he could if he so intends to do.
Taken from Domestic Contract of Carriage, Rule 35 Refusal to Transport, paragraph F:

"....Delta may refuse to transport any passenger, or may remove any passenger from its aircraft, when refusal to transport or removal of the passenger is reasonably necessary in Delta’s sole discretion for the passenger’s comfort or safety, for the comfort or safety of other passengers or Delta employees, or for the prevention of damage to the property of Delta or its passengers or employees.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Taken from Domestic Contract of Carriage, Rule 35 Refusal to Transport, paragraph F:

"....Delta may refuse to transport any passenger, or may remove any passenger from its aircraft, when refusal to transport or removal of the passenger is reasonably necessary in Delta’s sole discretion for the passenger’s comfort or safety, for the comfort or safety of other passengers or Delta employees, or for the prevention of damage to the property of Delta or its passengers or employees.
My comfort is affected by the person of greatly enhanced gravitation in the seat next to me. A skinny guy in a t-shirt doesn't affect my comfort at all.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1

What does "comfort" mean, though? Does it mean a vague unease born of ignorance and cowardice? Or does it have to be something real?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I do feel sorry for this guy. He and I at least share one thing in common: We opt out every time. Kudos to him for not being a sheep.

I was on a flight from ATL -> BHM last night. I watched a lady board wearing a shirt that said: "I am the bomb" and featured a picture of a cartoon bomb (although not the Angry Bird's domb)... I was actually surprised when we didn't take a security theater delay...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:43 pm

Everyone keeps saying the other passengers were afraid because of the guys shirt. I doubt many people read his shirt, but I'm sure his interaction with DL, TSA, and the police force were noticed by everyone in the area. With constant PA announcements about reporting any unusual or suspicious activities to the nearest security officer, is it a wonder travelers feel uncomfortable when they see someone questioned by 3 different authority groups?

Personally, I think he comes across as condescending and entitled in his blog, and that was from his point of view. The t shirt, in my opinion, was the catalyst, but the issue that prevented him from boarding was his attitude.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by spencersmama
Everyone keeps saying the other passengers were afraid because of the guys shirt. I doubt many people read his shirt, but I'm sure his interaction with DL, TSA, and the police force were noticed by everyone in the area. With constant PA announcements about reporting any unusual or suspicious activities to the nearest security officer, is it a wonder travelers feel uncomfortable when they see someone questioned by 3 different authority groups?

Personally, I think he comes across as condescending and entitled in his blog, and that was from his point of view. The t shirt, in my opinion, was the catalyst, but the issue that prevented him from boarding was his attitude.
Ummm, you haven't actually told us anything. As nearly as I can make out, you're saying he was denied boarding because passengers were made to feel uneasy because Delta, TSA, and the police questioned him about his shirt? So the problem was caused not by him, but by Delta, TSA, and the police?

Your saying he comes across as condescending and entitled tells us how you feel, but doesn't give us any real information. What is it in his blog that leads you to believe he comes across as condescending and entitled?

In addition, why should feeling condescending and entitled keep him from boarding?

In what way did his attitude keep him from boarding? What attitude should he exhibit, to meet your approval?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I didn't read the article. I looked at the shirt and that was enough for me. If airlines let people wear t shirts on planes that say "bombs" "terrists" "gonna kill us all" then why not let people through security and on planes who are just ranting "bombs, terrists, gonna kill us all." No way people wearing or saying these things should be allowed to fly.

Imagine the lawsuits if they let one of these knuckleheads fly and then he actually did blow up the plane.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I didn't read the article. I looked at the shirt and that was enough for me. If airlines let people wear t shirts on planes that say "bombs" "terrists" "gonna kill us all" then why not let people through security and on planes who are just ranting "bombs, terrists, gonna kill us all." No way people wearing or saying these things should be allowed to fly.

Imagine the lawsuits if they let one of these knuckleheads fly and then he actually did blow up the plane.
This is a joke, right?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jphripjah

But they did let him fly the next day. He was just put through the wringer because of his beliefs, expressed via a clever t-shirt.

Should have read the article.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.