Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
Jesus Christ... It's sarcasm. Read my whole post. I'm obviously not taking the dude's side.
I know you weren't taking his side, I was simply trying to underline the complete and utter lack of anything constructive from this. I mean, if it were funny, then at least there would be that, but instead we got bubkus from this guy.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I wonder what compensation he'll end up getting from Delta.
I hope they compensate him with free lifetime membership to the Delta No Fly List club.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
We do live in a Free country!

This is ridiculous! If he was a threat with the shirt on, then he was a threat without the shirt. What gutless hypocrisy by the TSA and Delta!

Those who say that you don't have a right to fly, obviously missed the point that once the "offensive" shirt was removed, he did have the "right" to fly. Perhaps you should re-phrase your statement as, "you don't have the right to offend another passenger and fly", or more likely, "you don't have the right to mock the TSA, otherwise we will ruin your day"--It's total BS.

I saw a metal band at immigration control in Narita once that were on the same flight with me from ORD, and one of the guys was wearing a t-shirt that said, "Islam, the religion of peace?" on the front, and "Prepare to meet Allah" with a graphic of a terrorist on the back. I guess that celebrities are exempted from being jerked around by the TSA.

What a bunch of weenies we have become in this country!

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mrredskin
he's an idiot. plain and simple. don't wear stupid s*** that a lot of other people don't know the meaning of when it could be construed the wrong way
Rather, if this is Arjit Guha, he is not an idiot.

Should people be harassed, like mentioned in the blog entry, for wearing this shirt: "I make milk, what is your superpower(, limp wimp)? "
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Jesus Christ... It's sarcasm. Read my whole post. I'm obviously not taking the dude's side.
That's what you get for the "mistake" of being perceived as critical of Delta Airlines -- so attack commenced.

DL can do (little to) no wrong. Now, why not get with the team or otherwise let revisionist history have its way?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
It's not often I sympathize with TSA and DL procedural stuff, but there you go. I feel sorry for them having to deal with people like this traveler, and I'm happy he has suffered the consequences of his attention seeking.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I have seen t-shirts wildly more attention getting than that - I am talking crude: words I do not use.
I see things I don't like or don't agree with. I just don't let myself get engaged with it.
I don't see a problem with the t-shirt. I don't have to like it. I don't think the shirt posed a threat.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by sethb
It's not as if you have rights or anything.
Maybe. But there is a time and a place for everything. Considering the nature of the message of his shirt, it's like he wore it on purpose, to cause the incident, to them basically write about it.

They all fell in to his trap, he succeeds in his plan to have his day turned upside down, he writes about it...

I fail to see why anyone is surprised.

It's like if I wore a shirt with Hitler and "Not all his ideas were bad" written on it and went to a JDate mixer... Freedom of speech - but begging for trouble.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:55 pm

Another passive-aggressive, attention seeking d**chebag... The only reason to where those stupid shirts is to incite reactions from and gain the attention of other people.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:03 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I have no shame in "taking the dude's side."

First off, his shirt is spot on.
Secondly, denying him boarding based on the discomfort of other pax is a very slippery slope. Let them deplane themselves if they don't like his shirt.

Good on you, Arijit.

[And nice work against Aetna as well!]
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Another passive-aggressive, attention seeking d**chebag... The only reason to where those stupid shirts is to incite reactions from and gain the attention of other people.
Taking a break from stupidity, there is intelligence in seeing how stupidly people react to a harmless shirt. It would be even more intelligent if he were to see how the reaction is different when a European-American is wearing that which an Indian-American could not wear that day at BUF without getting harassed for a harmless shirt.

The shirt is mild compared to some of the stuff that would result in a non-G rating if highlighted in a movie.

As I am taking DL from BUF, perhaps I should have my own study.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That's what you get for the "mistake" of being perceived as critical of Delta Airlines -- so attack commenced.

DL can do (little to) no wrong. Now, why not get with the team or otherwise let revisionist history have its way?
I'm sorry, but I'm not taking Delta's side on this. I'm taking the side of common f**king sense. Don't wear a shirt that you know has the potential to cause drama and attract attention... Which is exactly what this guy wanted.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Rather, if this is Arjit Guha, he is not an idiot.

Should people be harassed, like mentioned in the blog entry, for wearing this shirt: "I make milk, what is your superpower(, limp wimp)? "
whatever that means...

and like it has anything to do with bombs or terrorism...

I'm amazed at those comparing this to being more tame than what is portrayed in movies and other shirts you see. You know what??? They don't mention the "trigger" words that this shirt did.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
I can understand the op's side. Do I think he was right in wearing the shirt, No. But he does have the right to wear what he wants.

I was on a DL flight from SEA/Atl. The flight was delayed by an hour. I had 1 drink at the bar, and then proceeded to the gate. I spoke with the co-captain for 15 mintues while the plane deboarded. Next thing I knew, the FA asked me to meet the captain on the jetway. A pax complained that they thought I was a threat. The captain agreed I showed no signs of a threat, he even told me the co-captain spoke with me. He told me I could take a later flight or agree not to drink on the flight. I took the flight. The FA told me the captain was an a-hole and asked me want I wanted, once he closed the cockpit door.

Bottom line, the captain has the final word, even when he's wrong. Probably the same a-hole!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am moving this thread over to the appropriate TS/S forum for further discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.