Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IPads out now?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Never taken my iPad out and never been asked to in the US. The only place I've ever been instructed to remove it is LHR.
+1. I've never been asked to take my iPad (or Kindle before that) out of my laptop bag. Most of the airports I've been through this year (EWR, PHL, SFO, AUS) only say 'laptops out', never mentioning tablets specifically. But I've never been pulled for a bag check.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by halls120
If it doesn't need to be taken out it's a waste of time for all involved.
Not only that, but it's just like the water. The TSO's are looking for iPads & water bottles. While focusing on those non-threats gus, knives ect... have slipped right by them.

The more BS they are looiking for the less real threats the will find.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by Rdt757
I take mine out as well. It takes 10 seconds to place it in a bin vs getting held up for additional screening. True, it probably doesn't need to be taken out but why chance it over a very small inconvenience?
Because it can disappear on you, especially if you go through the BSKX machines. You can't see your stuff from those scanners.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

Perhaps they received a hot tip about iPADS being packed
with explosives. <shrug>

The last several times I have flown TSA have expressed no
interest at all in my CPAP machine when there was a time it
had to be extracted and go through the swab test.

It has got to the point I leave the machine in the bag rather
than extract it. I'm sure a time will come when I will be yelled
at for leaving it in the bag when they switch up their
protocols again.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to The TSA Blog, tablets can stay in the bag.

This is also the subject of this USA Today article.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:42 pm

Separating iPads or other tablet devices from carry-on are not required but recommended. Reduces the chance of having their bag de-cluttered then to repack it. That's why I see most remove their tablet devices anyway, which I don't mind.

Every so often, I get asked about iPads/tablets/e-readers after asking passengers to remove laptops... smh.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've had no issues keeping my ipad in my bag at ORD, LGA, EWR, RIC, SLC, TPA, BOS, DFW, and TVC this year. Not once have I witnessed passengers being instructed to remove tablets.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:45 pm

I have trouble hearing their directives so I can't always say that they haven't said to remove it. That being said, mine remains locked in my bag and I have yet to have issue with it or a secondary screening to remove it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Critic
+1. I've never been asked to take my iPad (or Kindle before that) out of my laptop bag. Most of the airports I've been through this year (EWR, PHL, SFO, AUS) only say 'laptops out', never mentioning tablets specifically. But I've never been pulled for a bag check.
+1

Never had to pull the tablets out. Just laptops. Several times I've asked just out of curiosity, and the answer has always been the same. Tablets, like phones, can remain in bags.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wow...I'm weekly between ATL and EWR and I always have to remove my iPad.

Of course, I've never tried to leave it in my bag...but there are always announcements being made while in line.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kdhith
Wow...I'm weekly between ATL and EWR and I always have to remove my iPad.

Of course, I've never tried to leave it in my bag...but there are always announcements being made while in line.
Be thankful... you are obviously much safer than those of us living on the edge...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by scott523
Separating iPads or other tablet devices from carry-on are not required but recommended. Reduces the chance of having their bag de-cluttered then to repack it. That's why I see most remove their tablet devices anyway, which I don't mind.
That's what I often see missing from these discussions. There's a great difference depending on what else is in the bag. It's one thing if the iPad is the only piece of electronics there, but if it's one of many, removing it will make the rest easier to see. That being said, I've never had a problem with it and had only one bag check, which I think was just an inexperienced TSO.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Never taken my iPad out and never been asked to in the US. The only place I've ever been instructed to remove it is LHR.
Ditto--except never been through LHR.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I have two tablets and a laptop and never once have i taken the tablets out, even the one that has a keyboard dock and the size of a netbook.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by javabytes
+1

Never had to pull the tablets out. Just laptops. Several times I've asked just out of curiosity, and the answer has always been the same. Tablets, like phones, can remain in bags.
70 segments minimum for the last 5 years, never once have I had to remove iPad or 7" Acer Iconia Android. I'd tell them to pound sand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.