Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Nude-o-scope shut down to recalibrate during scan

Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA

I was in line at the checkpoint by the T gate in ATL last Thursday. The elderly man ahead of me walked into the NOS, and when it was finished, the TSA woman made him go back out, and announced she was shutting down for recalibration. He went through again, and was patted down. The whole thing seemed pointless, but then that pretty well describes my opinion of the TSA.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
I was in line at the checkpoint by the T gate in ATL last Thursday. The elderly man ahead of me walked into the NOS, and when it was finished, the TSA woman made him go back out, and announced she was shutting down for recalibration. He went through again, and was patted down. The whole thing seemed pointless, but then that pretty well describes my opinion of the TSA.
That in itself is innocuous. I've seen people have to repeat the scan after a recalibration and then not get rubbed at all.

It's more offensive to have those dehumanizing footprint markers. People come out of the scanners and then stand in them like obedient cows waiting to be milked, waiting for the scan to render on the display, whether they are destined for a supplemental feel over or not. Along with the gratuitous and useless feel-overs, the footprint markers speak volumes about how TSA sees and treats human beings.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
...It's more offensive to have those dehumanizing footprint markers...
I refuse to stand on those. TSA has not made me do so yet.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta, United
I got an interesting one related to a recalibration closure. I did an opt out just as TSA closed the scanner thus sending folks through the WTMD. At first they were unsure what to do with me since I opted out. Finally, some said just go through the WTMD as well.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
They really do calibrate them? Huh.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
They really do calibrate them? Huh.
They probably weren't putting out enough radiation.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Do they recalibrate based on how many sheeple go through or just whenever they feel like it?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I refuse to stand on those. TSA has not made me do so yet.
My husband and I call going through the NOS and standing on the footprints, doing the naked bullwinkle pose.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
A friend has experienced it before. Do you really trust a guy hired of a pizza box to be re-calibrating these machines?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
A friend has experienced it before. Do you really trust a guy hired of a pizza box to be re-calibrating these machines?
I would guess it is just a self test routine run internally by the machine that displays a "Unit is in calibration" or something similar. If the self test fails, they call a tech to calibrate. Well, I hope they do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.