Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Sacramento International Airport Dropping TSA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sacramento International Airport Dropping TSA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by castrobenes
The AFGE has been the officially recognized federal TSO union for over a year. What happened this week is that TSA leadership and the AFGE agreed to terms of a contract which still must be ratified by the workforce.

I am interested to know what the intention is of those who support "privatization" of the TSO workforce. TSA still sets policy for security screening. Federal TSMs and an FSD still oversee the screening process. TSA will continue to develop training and testing of TSOs.

The contract to hire the "privatized" TSOs is a federal contract which means that it is awarded under the same protocols as any other federal contract. The SFO employees aren't any more accountable than TSA TSOs.

On the other hand, "privatization" will give the TSA a chance to point the finger at the contractors and the contractors to point the finger at TSA.

"Privatization" does nothing to reduce the federal (TSA) role in airport security, doesn't change the screening process including AIT or pat-downs, and gives TSA a built in contractor lobbying group who will argue for more resources devoted to screening.

Also for those of you who argue that TSA screening is unconstitutional, don't you think that the same argument applies to contractors. Remember the model that SMF and SFO are adopting is not private airlines deciding on the type of security required to use their product. "Privatization" in this case just means that a contractor hires TSOs who will enforce screening mandated by the federal government.

castro
Privatization gives the airport/airlines the ability to point out that they too were not happy with federal TSA screeners. It matters little that government will still have oversight of screening operations.

Also, this country does not need 50,000~ expensive federal employees with federal benefits to screen bags and people. This is a job more rightly the responsibility of the airport/airlines being it is their property that is being protected.

Removing government from screening operations as much as possible helps resolve the non liability of government employees and places retention of civilian employees more in line with job performance.

Bottom line is that TSA has failed on every level and doesn't deserve the job of airport security screening.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:52 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
If every airport chose to privatize tomorrow... The TSOs are guaranteed jobs with the private contractor.
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
SFO's contractor (CAS) is horrible - real bunch of idiotic jerks in that organization.
Coincidence?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Coincidence?
No. My perspective from ROC is that the TSA oversight of McNeil there is frequent, intrusive and medieval, almost as if the TSA is out to prove no contractor could possibly provide world class security like TSA can.
You can think linearly if you want, Castro, claiming that all will still be the same if private security is provided with federal oversight, but the fact is that the current (slow) trend, Pistole Pete not withstanding, is away from TSA providing security at the "officer" level. There are no examples of private security airports clamoring for TSA to provide security at their location.
As more and more airports swap to private security, more people will begin to question everything about the TSA. That is scrutiny that the culture of clowns at TSA and DHS cannot withstand.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I went through SMF yesterday. the wait for the MMW was 6 people deep, so they opened the WTMD so I didn't have to opt out. One thing I noticed about the TSA working there is that there are a lot of morbidly obese people in the blue shirts. Getting these people off of gov't health benefits and WC and onto a private contractor's plan would probably save the gov't millions.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If every airport chose to privatize tomorrow, the screening process would stay the same. The TSOs are guaranteed jobs with the private contractor. TSA management and policies stay the same. AIT and pat-downs don't change.

castro
Not necessarily. Getting rid of the federalized workforce is just step one of the TSA overhaul. Getting rid of the AIT, the shoe carnival, and the other idiotic and useless policies currently in force would come next.

I note you didn't bother to challenge any of my assertions. Must be tough to accept the fact that you are nothing more than a bit player in the largest theater production in the world.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Not necessarily. Getting rid of the federalized workforce is just step one of the TSA overhaul. Getting rid of the AIT, the shoe carnival, and the other idiotic and useless policies currently in force would come next.

I note you didn't bother to challenge any of my assertions. Must be tough to accept the fact that you are nothing more than a bit player in the largest theater production in the world.
there is an aspect of farce to every security operation that I've ever watched. Most countries conduct their farces without feeling over sex organs or even touching you, most of the time. There is no question that the scum at the top of DHS and TSA are sexual deviants getting off on that aspect of their farce. That "something special" that they've added.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:20 pm

I didn't respond to your post because statements about how much you hate TSA are non-responsive to my argument that the contractors are the same as TSA.

I fail to see how privatizing the TSA workforce leads to removal of the AIT or any TSA policies.

Some have argued that the best way forward to less intrusive airport security is to return responsibility to the airlines. That makes complete sense because it would be in the airlines interest to reduce the costs associated with airline security, and less intrusive security would be a feature that airlines could use in their marketing.

But that is not the model we have under ATSA. The contract these companies will have is with TSA. Their operating income will be provided through the TSA budget. It isn't in these companies interest for TSA to go away or have less of an airport footprint.

If you doubt the power of contractors, consider the AIT implementation which was funded by the stimulus plan. I have no idea exactly what happened. But I am certain that the manufacturer's of the AIT had a role in lobbying congress.

castro
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
No. My perspective from ROC is that the TSA oversight of McNeil there is frequent, intrusive and medieval, almost as if the TSA is out to prove no contractor could possibly provide world class security like TSA can.
You can think linearly if you want, Castro, claiming that all will still be the same if private security is provided with federal oversight, but the fact is that the current (slow) trend, Pistole Pete not withstanding, is away from TSA providing security at the "officer" level. There are no examples of private security airports clamoring for TSA to provide security at their location.
As more and more airports swap to private security, more people will begin to question everything about the TSA. That is scrutiny that the culture of clowns at TSA and DHS cannot withstand.
The sample is too small and the timeframe is to short to draw any conclusions.

I could also say that of the 460 plus airports that are federalized, less than 5 airports of any size are actively privatizing. But the law has only recently changed. And a pro-labor administration gets to set most of the rules. More will privatize. But you need a few more before you can claim there is a trend. The reality is that the political environment will determine the number of airports that choose to privatize.

And you will need a few years of metrics to compare the results.

castro
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
If they relaxed the rules. They can lifted the ticketed passengers only. They will able allowed go into the entire concourse again.
This is not a part of privatization. Actually the contractors won't have an incentive to do this because it increases their costs.

castro
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I don't expect the security experience will change if it is privatized - if anything, I expect TSA may demand more rigorous pax treatment from privatized staff.

I do hope it will reduce the longterm federal medical and retirement benefits that taxpayers have to pay. I also hope it will eliminate the confusion about TSO status as 'federal officers' (entitled to cut in line or detain people or cross-examine people, etc.)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:41 pm

I didn't respond to your post because statements about how much you hate TSA are non-responsive to my argument that the contractors are the same as TSA.
The real reason you didn't respond is that you know that the rationale supporting the creation of TSA was and is a farce. Poor airside security wasn't the cause of 9/11, and you know it.

I fail to see how privatizing the TSA workforce leads to removal of the AIT or any TSA policies.
Because once you privatize security, innovation and efficiency would be possible. The only thing your leadership wants is more control over passengers, because more control equates to more budget money.

Some have argued that the best way forward to less intrusive airport security is to return responsibility to the airlines. That makes complete sense because it would be in the airlines interest to reduce the costs associated with airline security, and less intrusive security would be a feature that airlines could use in their marketing.
And yet your management fights these arguments, because they don't want to lose their jobs.

If you doubt the power of contractors, consider the AIT implementation which was funded by the stimulus plan. I have no idea exactly what happened. But I am certain that the manufacturer's of the AIT had a role in lobbying congress.
castro
AIT happened because your former boss pushed for them, even though experts advised him that they have at best a 60% chance of detecting the items they are designed to detect. He did this, and his company now represents the contractor that supplies scanning equipment to TSA.

Your former boss is lining his own pockets thanks to the decisions he made as DHS Secretary. Imagine that.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:28 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

This would be the worst possible development, because the airlines (and their contractors) are private companies and do not have to worry about anyone's constitutional rights. The TSA is part of the government, so they have to follow the constitution. If you feel that the TSA violated your fourth amendment rights by performing an illegal search, you can take it to court. If it is a private company, you can do nothing except take your business elsewhere, if there is anywhere else to go.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:36 am

The real reason you didn't respond is that you know that the rationale supporting the creation of TSA was and is a farce. Poor airside security wasn't the cause of 9/11, and you know it.
With all due respect, I think I am in a better position than you to address why I didn't respond.

This is irrelevant anyway. It is also true that 9/11 didn't happen because of the absence of a central federal organization determining airport security procedures that will be implemented by private screeners whose organization employer has a contract with the federal government to provide screening.

Because once you privatize security, innovation and efficiency would be possible.
Innovation and efficiency how? They have to follow the same SOP as every other airport.

The only thing your leadership wants is more control over passengers, because more control equates to more budget money.

And yet your management fights these arguments, because they don't want to lose their jobs.
SPP doesn't change the number of jobs at TSA HQ.

AIT happened because your former boss pushed for them, even though experts advised him that they have at best a 60% chance of detecting the items they are designed to detect. He did this, and his company now represents the contractor that supplies scanning equipment to TSA.

Your former boss is lining his own pockets thanks to the decisions he made as DHS Secretary. Imagine that.
AIT was still in the testing stage when Kip Hawley was in office. The decision to go with a nationwide implementation happened after he left office.

castro

Last edited by castrobenes; Aug 12, 2012 at 7:45 am
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
This would be the worst possible development, because the airlines (and their contractors) are private companies and do not have to worry about anyone's constitutional rights. The TSA is part of the government, so they have to follow the constitution. If you feel that the TSA violated your fourth amendment rights by performing an illegal search, you can take it to court. If it is a private company, you can do nothing except take your business elsewhere, if there is anywhere else to go.
I agree with this.

castro
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:58 am

I agree with those who write that TSA has not done an outstanding job of managing the TSO workforce. However I don't think it is a natural conclusion that a private contractor would do a better job. Contractors respond to an entirely different set of economic incentives than truly competitive private businesses.

Some of the worst boondoggles in history have been committed by contractors. And whenever you complain about highway workers sitting down on the job while traffic builds, remember that those are contract employees not direct employees of the government.

castro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.