FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA at Chicago Amtrak - video (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1371334-tsa-chicago-amtrak-video.html)

yknot Jul 27, 2012 1:12 pm

TSA at Chicago Amtrak - video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...hp_ref=chicago

DillMan Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Wow. The second video is....wow.

Caradoc Jul 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 19013929)

Yeah. It's hard to believe anyone that stupid is allowed to wander around in public, let alone wear a badge.

Carl Johnson Jul 27, 2012 4:50 pm

20 seconds into the second one, the policeman says he isn't stupid. Is the fact that the clerks are stupid SSI?

Mad props to the first person who encounters a clerk in a situation like this and gets him to say "Do you want to fly today?"

UshuaiaHammerfest Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Given the attitude of the cop, I'm surprised the blogger didn't say "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" earlier than he did.

The cop in the second video is an idiot. Nobody needs to get permission before filming a police officer in public (with, I believe, some rare exceptions, of which this is not one.)

VelvetJones Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 19013929)

Who are these cops? They should be fired immediately.

goalie Jul 28, 2012 11:51 am

But I thought this was America

America, nuthin'

Brilliant, just brilliant :rolleyes: :mad::mad::mad:

Mikey likes it Jul 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 19014234)
Yeah. It's hard to believe anyone that stupid is allowed to wander around in public, let alone wear a badge.

+1

T.J. Bender Jul 29, 2012 9:39 am

I love how the second video wasn't really negative towards the TSA at all, aside from showing that three of them were (maybe) having lunch. The blogger wasn't harassed by the TSA; he was harassed by a couple of transit cops with big egos and little knowledge of the applicable laws. I've got to admit, I greatly enjoyed it when the first cop told the blogger he was trespassing. You know you've got a cop beat when he changes from the original offense to "trespassing", especially because, in most states, the owner or a representative of the property's owner has to tell you that you're trespassing before the police can tell you to leave. :D

cparekh Jul 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest (Post 19015126)
Nobody needs to get permission before filming a police officer in public (with, I believe, some rare exceptions, of which this is not one.)

I understand in Illinois, permission to AUDIO record is required by both sides. The CPD has worked very hard to protect this law (based on old wire-tapping laws not relevant in the modern world) in order to make sure they are not recorded. Recently there has been some movement in state court saying that police in public doing their job have not expectation of privacy, so the law is not violated.

People have recently been prosecuted for recording police in public in IL, and the case law is far from settled.

(Note this all from my reading of news articles, and I have no legal insight into this).

garkman Aug 7, 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by cparekh (Post 19035294)
I understand in Illinois, permission to AUDIO record is required by both sides. The CPD has worked very hard to protect this law (based on old wire-tapping laws not relevant in the modern world) in order to make sure they are not recorded. Recently there has been some movement in state court saying that police in public doing their job have not expectation of privacy, so the law is not violated.

People have recently been prosecuted for recording police in public in IL, and the case law is far from settled.

(Note this all from my reading of news articles, and I have no legal insight into this).

This is true - IL division of the ACLU is all over this in court. Pretty amazing, only here in Illinois.