TSA just done new inline baggage screening system at MIA

Subscribe
http://www.local10.com/news/New-bagg...207162012&ts=H

TSA just done new inline baggage screening system at Miami Airport. They have 25 CTX-9800DSi. This is brand new inline baggage screening system after they usually the older CTX-5500 machine at ticket counter and now, they will removed all CTX-5500 machine out of the ticket lobbies. There is no longer carry the bag to TSA personnel. You can drop the bag off ticket counter and consider it done for now.
Yup, behind closed doors now so they can riffle through yer stuff in private. Biggest mistake in the whole process as the airlines can blame the TSA and visa versa when something goes missing.
Just love how our possessions are made so available to the hands of the thieving TSA. I recently packed an additional handbag in my checked luggage. Sure enough, I arrived back home to find that it was missing. This type of thing never happened to me before this ridiculous security started.
I haven't carried a checked bag to be inspected by the TSA since...2003? This isn't new, I don't think.
Quote: I haven't carried a checked bag to be inspected by the TSA since...2003? This isn't new, I don't think.
Actually, I never have any problem at all. I always kept locked the bag all of the time. They were never taking anything from my bag.
Quote: Yup, behind closed doors now so they can riffle through yer stuff in private. Biggest mistake in the whole process as the airlines can blame the TSA and visa versa when something goes missing.
So you're saying you can see them open your checked bag if you carry it to TSA personnel? I don't know, I don't do baggage.
Quote: So you're saying you can see them open your checked bag if you carry it to TSA personnel? I don't know, I don't do baggage.
At some airports, the baggage scanner is near the checkin counters/kiosks. You check in, get your checked bags (if any) tagged, and then carry them over to the TSA baggage scanner. Depending on the TSO, you can stand and watch to make sure you are there if TSA wants to open the bag for any reason.

Used to be this way for some airlines at SEA, and IIRC, PHX still had a baggage scanner at terminal 3 (Delta).
Quote: At some airports, the baggage scanner is near the checkin counters/kiosks. You check in, get your checked bags (if any) tagged, and then carry them over to the TSA baggage scanner. Depending on the TSO, you can stand and watch to make sure you are there if TSA wants to open the bag for any reason.

Used to be this way for some airlines at SEA, and IIRC, PHX still had a baggage scanner at terminal 3 (Delta).
I can't imagine why this isn't ALWAYS an option at the very least... To stand by your checked luggage until it is cleared, then SEALED with something to foil further tampering <yeah i know, nothing is fool proof as long as the world is populated with fools> prior to loading onto the airplane. Yes, it would delay getting to the gate, but there are some who would be grateful for such an option despite a (reasonable) delay.
THe big reason for in line screening is efficiency. However, if done properly efficiency and allowing PAX to watch could be done.
Quote: I can't imagine why this isn't ALWAYS an option at the very least... To stand by your checked luggage until it is cleared, then SEALED with something to foil further tampering <yeah i know, nothing is fool proof as long as the world is populated with fools> prior to loading onto the airplane. Yes, it would delay getting to the gate, but there are some who would be grateful for such an option despite a (reasonable) delay.
I'm sure TSA's excuse would be 'what if everyone wanted to wait until his/her bag was successfully screened and on its way unmolested?'

I suspect most people wouldn't bother (and sometimes I wouldn't), but yes, it should be an easy option. I have checked a bag in PHX and stood by to make sure that if TSA wanted to open my bag for any reason, I was there to watch (and to re-secure my bag afterwards).

I suspect theft would drop dramatically.
Quote: Actually, I never have any problem at all. I always kept locked the bag all of the time. They were never taking anything from my bag.
????

I meant that I haven't physically carried a bag from the ticket counter to the TSA's search counter in years. Maybe since 2005? So this isn't a new thing, unless MIA's been doing it all those years?
Quote: ????

I meant that I haven't physically carried a bag from the ticket counter to the TSA's search counter in years. Maybe since 2005? So this isn't a new thing, unless MIA's been doing it all those years?
Actually, when TSA started to screening all checked bag at ticket lobbies & curbside check-in back on December 31, 2002. When they install new inline baggage screening system. When they consider it done the older CTX-5500 machine at front of ticket counter & curbside check-in. TSA is removing the CTX-5500 machine & L3 machine out of ticket lobbies and now it is overdone to screened the older CTX-5500 machine.