Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 26, 12, 8:19 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Delta Air Lines, US Dividend Miles, Rapids Reward
Posts: 29,801
TSA just done new inline baggage screening system at MIA

http://www.local10.com/news/New-bagg...207162012&ts=H

TSA just done new inline baggage screening system at Miami Airport. They have 25 CTX-9800DSi. This is brand new inline baggage screening system after they usually the older CTX-5500 machine at ticket counter and now, they will removed all CTX-5500 machine out of the ticket lobbies. There is no longer carry the bag to TSA personnel. You can drop the bag off ticket counter and consider it done for now.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/scottweinbergpage?ref=hl Go to my new Facebook Page. Enjoy!
http://www.scottysair.com/
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 9:56 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Next to a salty lake in Utah
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 2,759
Yup, behind closed doors now so they can riffle through yer stuff in private. Biggest mistake in the whole process as the airlines can blame the TSA and visa versa when something goes missing.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 10:44 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Posts: 534
Just love how our possessions are made so available to the hands of the thieving TSA. I recently packed an additional handbag in my checked luggage. Sure enough, I arrived back home to find that it was missing. This type of thing never happened to me before this ridiculous security started.
VonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 10:31 am   #4
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH nothing
Posts: 906
I haven't carried a checked bag to be inspected by the TSA since...2003? This isn't new, I don't think.
lovely15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 12, 12:34 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Delta Air Lines, US Dividend Miles, Rapids Reward
Posts: 29,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely15 View Post
I haven't carried a checked bag to be inspected by the TSA since...2003? This isn't new, I don't think.
Actually, I never have any problem at all. I always kept locked the bag all of the time. They were never taking anything from my bag.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/scottweinbergpage?ref=hl Go to my new Facebook Page. Enjoy!
http://www.scottysair.com/
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 7:16 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PHL
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Yup, behind closed doors now so they can riffle through yer stuff in private. Biggest mistake in the whole process as the airlines can blame the TSA and visa versa when something goes missing.
So you're saying you can see them open your checked bag if you carry it to TSA personnel? I don't know, I don't do baggage.

Last edited by scott523; Aug 1, 12 at 7:23 pm..
scott523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 7:31 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 14,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott523 View Post
So you're saying you can see them open your checked bag if you carry it to TSA personnel? I don't know, I don't do baggage.
At some airports, the baggage scanner is near the checkin counters/kiosks. You check in, get your checked bags (if any) tagged, and then carry them over to the TSA baggage scanner. Depending on the TSO, you can stand and watch to make sure you are there if TSA wants to open the bag for any reason.

Used to be this way for some airlines at SEA, and IIRC, PHX still had a baggage scanner at terminal 3 (Delta).
chollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 7:42 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in the sky
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
At some airports, the baggage scanner is near the checkin counters/kiosks. You check in, get your checked bags (if any) tagged, and then carry them over to the TSA baggage scanner. Depending on the TSO, you can stand and watch to make sure you are there if TSA wants to open the bag for any reason.

Used to be this way for some airlines at SEA, and IIRC, PHX still had a baggage scanner at terminal 3 (Delta).
I can't imagine why this isn't ALWAYS an option at the very least... To stand by your checked luggage until it is cleared, then SEALED with something to foil further tampering <yeah i know, nothing is fool proof as long as the world is populated with fools> prior to loading onto the airplane. Yes, it would delay getting to the gate, but there are some who would be grateful for such an option despite a (reasonable) delay.
loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 8:01 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Next to a salty lake in Utah
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 2,759
THe big reason for in line screening is efficiency. However, if done properly efficiency and allowing PAX to watch could be done.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 8:37 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 14,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I can't imagine why this isn't ALWAYS an option at the very least... To stand by your checked luggage until it is cleared, then SEALED with something to foil further tampering <yeah i know, nothing is fool proof as long as the world is populated with fools> prior to loading onto the airplane. Yes, it would delay getting to the gate, but there are some who would be grateful for such an option despite a (reasonable) delay.
I'm sure TSA's excuse would be 'what if everyone wanted to wait until his/her bag was successfully screened and on its way unmolested?'

I suspect most people wouldn't bother (and sometimes I wouldn't), but yes, it should be an easy option. I have checked a bag in PHX and stood by to make sure that if TSA wanted to open my bag for any reason, I was there to watch (and to re-secure my bag afterwards).

I suspect theft would drop dramatically.
chollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 9:00 am   #11
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH nothing
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Actually, I never have any problem at all. I always kept locked the bag all of the time. They were never taking anything from my bag.
????

I meant that I haven't physically carried a bag from the ticket counter to the TSA's search counter in years. Maybe since 2005? So this isn't a new thing, unless MIA's been doing it all those years?
lovely15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 5:30 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Delta Air Lines, US Dividend Miles, Rapids Reward
Posts: 29,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely15 View Post
????

I meant that I haven't physically carried a bag from the ticket counter to the TSA's search counter in years. Maybe since 2005? So this isn't a new thing, unless MIA's been doing it all those years?
Actually, when TSA started to screening all checked bag at ticket lobbies & curbside check-in back on December 31, 2002. When they install new inline baggage screening system. When they consider it done the older CTX-5500 machine at front of ticket counter & curbside check-in. TSA is removing the CTX-5500 machine & L3 machine out of ticket lobbies and now it is overdone to screened the older CTX-5500 machine.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/scottweinbergpage?ref=hl Go to my new Facebook Page. Enjoy!
http://www.scottysair.com/
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:24 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.