Search

Another Bad Apple amongst 60,000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Another Bad Apple amongst 60,000

TSA officer from Miami charged with disorderly conduct in Key West

A Transportation Security Administration officer from Miami was arrested in Key West after reportedly grabbing a phone away from a bystander videotaping the officer and a friend.

Witnesses told Key West police that Milagros Casanas and a friend "were very intoxicated" as they negotiated the 200 block of Duval Street in the early-morning hours last Sunday.
Casanas, 35, is a "lead transportation security officer" at Miami International Airport, according to TSA spokeswoman Sari Koshetz.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/3...i-charged.html
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Surprised that the reporter made such a big deal of it as it sounds like the perp was off duty and not in uniform. So from that point of view so what. However, one does have to wonder why it was such a big deal to note his employment - did it somehow come up in the course of the evening's events (acting in the color of authority)?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Surprised that the reporter made such a big deal of it as it sounds like the perp was off duty and not in uniform. So from that point of view so what. However, one does have to wonder why it was such a big deal to note his employment - did it somehow come up in the course of the evening's events (acting in the color of authority)?
Poor decision making on your own time = poor decision making at work.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:20 pm

Was this "professional courtesy", or was Casanas just lucky?

Police said they found the phone in Casanas' back pocket during a search. After consulting with an on-duty prosecutor from the Monroe County State Attorney's Office, Casanas was charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

In his report, Tripp noted that "we had the elements of a robbery," but changed the arrest charge after the early-hours consult.

Last edited by OldGoat; Jul 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Local 10: Police: TSA officer attacked woman who videotaped her while intoxicated: Miami TSA officer arrested in Key West after video camera incident

Officers responded to the 200 block of Duval Street after receiving reports that a fight had broken out between two women.

The arrest report stated that Casanas and a friend were passed out on the sidewalk. When they awoke, they realized someone was videotaping them with a cell phone.

Detectives said Casanas yelled at Copeland to delete the recording, then grabbed the phone out of the woman's hands.

According to the report, Casanas' friend told officers "... they did not want to be recorded because they were federal officers (TSA) and did not want video of them on the internet."

Casanas was charged with disorderly conduct.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by lovely15
Poor decision making on your own time = poor decision making at work.
Well that generality would rule out many people.

According to the report, Casanas' friend told officers "... they did not want to be recorded because they were federal officers (TSA) and did not want video of them on the internet."
Ah, there is the rub. Not only were they intoxicated in public and assaulted someone, but they lied, they are not federal officers .
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:30 pm

I tried to make a similar point in another thread, and was soundly beaten for it. (I won't try to summarize the argument ... best to read it yourself.)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by OldGoat
Was this "professional courtesy", or was Casanas just lucky?
This is the real story. A TSO being drunk and obnoxious probably happens every weekend. The fact that they committed assault and robbery and got it bumped down to a disorderly conduct charge should merit an investigation from the state attorneys office.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
http://www.local10.com/news/Police-T...8/-/index.html

Detectives said Casanas yelled at Copeland to delete the recording, then grabbed the phone out of the woman's hands.

According to the report, Casanas' friend told officers "... they did not want to be recorded because they were federal officers (TS) and did not want video of them on the internet."
Sounds to me like she was ordering - and then using assault and theft to force - the deletion of a recording made on a public street. The article doesn't specify if she actually identified herself as a "federal officer" or a TSO to the woman she assaulted, but she certainly did to the detectives, which means that it's possible...

So, I can certainly imagine this drunken woman seeing herself being recorded and screaming, "I'm a federal ossifer! Delete that redorcing or I'll molest you! Gimme that phone!" Or, you know, slurred words to that effect.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:47 pm

Can we use the word 'trash' or should you not talk that way about highly trained professionals? I don't want to offend anyone's tender sensibilities.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
This is the real story. A TSO being drunk and obnoxious probably happens every weekend. The fact that they committed assault and robbery and got it bumped down to a disorderly conduct charge should merit an investigation from the state attorneys office.
Waste of taxpayer money. It was a drunken bar fight where the man (who happens to be a TSO) took it too far for fear of losing his job. TSOs (like anyone wearing a uniform) should be held to a higher standard, and that's why he should lose his job.

The state attorney has far better things to do than to investigate a DA who knows that the TSO will be punished enough when he does.

Fire the TSO (for fighting and taking the phone -- not for being drunk), suspend any criminal sentence, and move on with our lives.

No big story here.

Last edited by UshuaiaHammerfest; Jul 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
The state attorney has far better things to do than to investigate a DA who knows that the TSO will be punished enough when he does.

Fire the TSO (for fighting and taking the phone -- not for being drunk), suspend any criminal sentence, and move on with our lives.

No big story here.
Although I do not disagree with your point about the state attorney general having better things to do, I'm curious how the DA knows the TSO will be punished, and what the extent of that punishment will be.

I also think it's curious that the arresting officers called a DA before making the arrest. That doesn't strike me as standard procedure. The deviation in this instance may have been because the the suspects identified themselves as federal officers. If so, lowering the charges may have been for that reason.

If so, the news item is that TSOs get the same "professional courtesy" as LEOs.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Waste of taxpayer money. It was a drunken bar fight where the man (who happens to be a TSO) took it too far for fear of losing his job. TSOs (like anyone wearing a uniform) should be held to a higher standard, and that's why he should lose his job.

No big story here.
Actually it was two female TSA employees who threatened the person recording them claiming they were federal officers.

http://www.local10.com/blob/view/-/1...onduct-pdf.pdf
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlesheep
Can we use the word 'trash' or should you not talk that way about highly trained professionals? I don't want to offend anyone's tender sensibilities.
I think "typical TSA employees" is a better fit.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I tried to make a similar point in another thread, and was soundly beaten for it. (I won't try to summarize the argument ... best to read it yourself.)
I think you'll find that those of us who are (or were) in public service or the military completely understand the obligation that off-duty conduct is on limits for discipline, demotion, and termination. We hold ourselves to a higher standard out of respect to the public we serve and demand that the TSA do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.